All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Several concerns
      #289223 - 11/07/06 08:58 AM
sualeksa

Reged: 11/02/06

I am a Breast Cancer survivor. I know they encourage you to eat lots of veggies to fight cancer. My IBS won't tolerate veggies. I used to eat lots of salads, but now can't eat any. The chemo really made the ibs worse, but my doctors ignored my concerns. Also, I want to follow this diet and eat more SF, and less IF, but know that protein is brain food. Since my father had altzheimers I try to eat lots of protein, can I do all that is healthy for me and still control the IBS?
The funny thing is, when the ibs is bad I gain weight because I'm starved. When it calms down I lose weight. Hopefully with the acacia I will get it calmed down and be able to lose some weight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Protein new
      #289224 - 11/07/06 09:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You have expressed some interesting concerns. You might check the NIH Alzheimer's website. I think you will find that there is no evidence that eating extra protein will prevent the disease. Generally speaking an adult needs about 100 grams or 3.5 oz of protein per day. This amount of protein you can easily get from the EFI diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Several concerns new
      #289225 - 11/07/06 09:34 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Hi--I have trouble with veggies, too. Salads are a rare treat for me. I tend to eat a lot of squash. There are so many different varieties! I can also tolerate avocados and guacamole, so I use that on sandwiches to add flavor instead of mayo. Other good veggie options are beets, cooked carrots, baby peas and sweet potatoes.

For protein I eat peanut butter (not everyone can eat this, so be careful), egg whites, fish, chicken, quinoa and amaranth. Also check labels on cereals--a lot of those contain protein. Luna Bars are another source, if you can handle those.

#289227 - 11/07/06 09:55 AM
sualeksa

Reged: 11/02/06

When you eat squash do you remove all the seeds?

I find that peanut butter causes so much pressure and gas, I avoid it. But I will try eating the meats you suggest. What is quinoa and amaranth?

#289260 - 11/07/06 03:03 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I get about 10g of protein every morning by adding rice protein powder to my fruit smoothie. Just a suggestion, since it sounds like fats are a big trigger for you, based on your reaction to peanut butter.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review