All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Trying to understand new
      #290026 - 11/14/06 10:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Thank you.

I ate a peeled, fresh apple yesterday for lunch and had the most painful night I've had in a long time. Today I am extremely constipated. I just don't want to blame the apple unnecessarily.

How many times do you give a food before determining it's a problem?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trying to understand new
      #290027 - 11/14/06 10:23 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Well, I react pretty quickly with D to a food that causes me problems. Usually within the hour after eating it, it hits me. So I don't really need to do much trial-and-error to figure out my problem foods. I do make sure I eat completely safely all day except for that one possible problem food so I really know that was the only thing that could have affected me.

Sometimes I'll try a food on an empty stomach, and if I have D from that, I'll try it once more after a cushion of SF. It's not just about 'what you eat' but also 'how you eat it'. Especially for fruits and veggies I try to figure out how to eat them safely so that I can get the nutrients from them.

Did you eat anything else with the apple? And what did you eat the rest of the day, since you noticed the symptoms mainly at night.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Your are correct .... new
      #290029 - 11/14/06 10:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are correct again. It does not affect everyone and I have never claimed it did. I have claimed it does affect a significant number of IBS suffers - about 1 in 3.

While fructose in not a whole food is occurs in high amounts in many foods for example honey and many fruits and juices. It really cannot hurt a person to eliminate if from their diet and see if they become more stable.

It is amazing how much commotion this topic has created whereas when others post claims that lean red meat which is on the list is not a trigger or that soy which isn't on the list is a trigger they generate relatively little discussion. It seems that triggers can be an individual thing. Oh well - I guess eventually this topic will run out of steam too

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Try one of these definitions new
      #290032 - 11/14/06 10:38 AM
Syl

On-line fructose definitions. I think you will find that most of them define it as a simple sugar that occurs naturally in fruit.

As for 73% that was in a particular 2003 study .

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Your are correct .... new
      #290033 - 11/14/06 10:39 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

It seems that triggers can be an individual thing.

I think that is the main point that everyone is trying to convey. Just because fructose is an issue for you, does not mean that it is an issue for everyone with IBS. Flooding us with scientific articles is not going to make us sway to your thinking. If anything, it makes me want to leave the boards. The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion. I think you keep reporting conflicting research findings and it's just confusing everyone.

Personally, I have never had a problem with fructose and HFCS does not effect me. And for me, Heather's word is enough - I don't care about any of the other research until I see a cure....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Try one of these definitions new
      #290034 - 11/14/06 10:41 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

A number of the definitions on the list call it fruit sugar.

Quote:

Known as fruit sugar; a member of the simple sugars carbohydrate group found in fruits, honey and syrups, and certain vegetables.

Commonly known as fruit sugar, fructose differs from glucose by have a ketone group rather than an aldehydic carbonyl group attachment

Fruit sugar.

This is what we mean by contradicting yourself.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Edited by MCV (11/14/06 10:43 AM)

Re: Try one of these definitions new
      #290056 - 11/14/06 12:46 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Guys, get a grip! Do you really have time for a discussion like this? It's incredible (in the bad sence)!

--J

Re: Gosh Jen .... new
      #290057 - 11/14/06 01:09 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

The method you use to dig up articles wasn't really the point here. The point is that the whole "science of IBS" rarely contributes anything useful -- it's more like a shtick than anything else. This is the same reason why I dislike fiber chart debates -- at the end of the day, it changes absolutely nothing. There simply is not enough good, solid research out there to "prove" anything. Yes, the IBS studies that do exist can be interesting -- but they are not conclusive enough to use to prove your own ideas. Like the fiber charts, it just ends up confusing and intimidating people.

Okay, I'm done with this.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I agree with MCV... new
      #290061 - 11/14/06 01:52 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Heather's word is enough for me.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

I agree ... new
      #290066 - 11/14/06 02:29 PM
Syl

Quote:

The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion

I agree that the science of IBS should be separate. Unfortunately, the research board is a library. Discussions and postings can only be done by the moderator.

There should be a separate place for the discussion of the science of IBS. The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review