All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Trying to understand new
      #290007 - 11/14/06 08:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Sixty-two consecutively referred patients with irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption on breath hydrogen testing underwent dietary instruction

This suggests that only people with IBS and fructose intolerance that was confirmed by a breath test were tested and had to eliminate or limit fructose.

So, you can have IBS and eat fructose just fine if you don't have fructose intolerance? Not everyone with IBS has problems with fructose? They are totally separate things?

Also, even though I have tested negative for lactose intolerance, I'm not suppose to eat it. Why is fructose different and we can eat it?

Not trying to stir the pot here....just really confused.

All and any opinions are always appreciated and welcomed!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trying to understand new
      #290009 - 11/14/06 08:46 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"So, you can have IBS and eat fructose just fine if you don't have fructose intolerance? Not everyone with IBS has problems with fructose? They are totally separate things?"

I don't have problems with fructose. I don't necessarily go overboard on it but I don't have symptoms after having some.

"Also, even though I have tested negative for lactose intolerance, I'm not suppose to eat it. Why is fructose different and we can eat it?"

Well, the problem is more that the lactose is in something like milk, which is in general hard to digest because of the amount of fat, other ingredients/proteins that are hard to digest. Fructose can be found in fruit, and may not be hard to digest, like apples.

Once again, I stress the trial-and-error with foods such as fruit and veggies to find out what bothers you.

--------------------
Kat

right on new
      #290011 - 11/14/06 09:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Kat - excellent advice. Sometimes the only way to figure out if fructose, or many other food ingredients, are a triggers is to use trial-and-error. It took me years of trial-and-error to figure out my triggers. However, it wasn't until I found Heather's EFI that I began to understand the role of SF & IF in IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Gosh Jen .... new
      #290013 - 11/14/06 09:13 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

None of this has anything to do with the nature of the articles you've been citing to support your contention that fructose malabsorption is "beginning to look like ... one of the most common IBS triggers."

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

More information .... new
      #290019 - 11/14/06 09:40 AM
Syl

Quote:

However, in standard clinical practice, the management of IBS seldom addresses dietary fructose. Several reasons may explain this. First, fructose malabsorption may be considered uncommon and as such is a separate disease distinct from IBS. However, more than one in three adults with symptoms of IBS are unable to absorb a fructose load of 25 to 50 g and, therefore, have fructose malabsorption. Second, fructose malabsorption is not specific to patients with IBS. The limited data available suggest that its prevalence in the IBS population is similar to that in asymptomatic controls (9). As outlined earlier, the response to fructose is exaggerated in patients with IBS compared with those without IBS. Third, there are no dietary guidelines published to construct an appropriate diet. Previous dietary intervention studies have used "fructose-free" diets without describing their nature (6,7). It would be unfeasible for the dietary management of the condition to require total removal of fructose from the diet, a near impossible task because of its abundant presence in our food supply. Finally, the potential contribution of fructans has been ignored, as illustrated by a recent review (9), despite the fact that they are not digested or absorbed in the small intestine, are rapidly fermented by luminal bacteria (8,10,11,12), and can induce IBS-like symptoms by themselves (13,14).

Reference
Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). Fructose malasborption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631–9.

I would say that one in three is rather common. And if it isn't a problem why is HFCS mentioned so many times on the main web site and in the newsletters?
The posting "Gosh Jen" addressed the unfounded claim that I was using only Google to do research about iBS. I can assure you that the claim is completely untrue.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: More information .... new
      #290020 - 11/14/06 09:45 AM
K2

HFCS is not on the trigger list. Fructose is not either.

Fructose is listed as a possible problem in various questions on the FAQ section.
"recognize that their insoluble fiber (and fructose in the fruit, sulfur in the cruciferous vegetables, etc.) pose challenges to IBS folks"
High fructose corn syrup is not mentioned, but corn syrup used as a sweetner in drink is mentioned.

--------------------
Kat

Your are correct .... new
      #290021 - 11/14/06 09:50 AM
Syl

My apologies it is not on the trigger list. I will change my posting

It is mentioned 22 times a potential problem in the main part of the web site and the newsletters. It might as well be on the list.

--------------------

Re: Your are correct .... new
      #290022 - 11/14/06 10:00 AM
K2

"It is mentioned 22 times a potential problem in the main part of the web site and the newsletters. It might as well be on the list. "

LOL 22 times is a lot!

Maybe so, but I think the reason it isn't is because it's not a clear-cut trigger food. Most poeple with IBS will agree they cannot tolerate a beef hamburger or steak. Most will agree they can't drink a glass of milk. Most will agree chocolate, coffee and alcohol all affect them. Fructose does not necessarily affect everyone with IBS. Also, it may be because fructose doesn't come in a large dose with most foods, so people who eat it can that tolerate some fructose don't notice symptoms. Fructose is rarely a 'whole food' like milk or meat and so it may be hard to notice any problems from having it.

--------------------
Kat

Only 1 in 3? new
      #290023 - 11/14/06 10:08 AM
Sand

What happened to 73%?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Funny... new
      #290024 - 11/14/06 10:09 AM
Sand

that's not what you were saying when you started all this:

Your old post
My response
Your response

And by the way?

Fructose is commonly referred to as fruit sugar. I understand this is somewhat imprecise - that is, fructose is not found only in fruits - but the two terms are commonly used interchangeably. One of my dictionaries gives "fruit sugar" as one definition of "fructose"; the other gives "fructose" as the definition of "fruit sugar".

That's been annoying me for months.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65962

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review