All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New Food of the Week
      #289027 - 11/04/06 07:00 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Every once in awhile, I dare to try a new food, i.e. something I've never had before. This week's new food was broccoli rabe. I've eaten it three times, without delight. (It's on my favourite foods for supper list) It's fabulous in conjunction with SF foods like sticky rice or potatoes or even pasta/polenta. It's nothing like broccoli. It's slightly bitter with nutty kinds of undertones--sort of like fiddleheads, I suppose, but not quite. I season it with lemon juice/zest and sea salt and balsalmic vinegar.

Last week's new food was kale. I like it mixed with other greens like spinach or chard and blenderized into a quasi-pesto or sauce. It's awesome over potatoes or mashed into potatoes with lots of herbs, i.e. basil or parsley. It's great with a little tamari and ginger, too or a splash of balsalmic vinegar. Mushrooms are a nice accompaniment.

It's challenging to try new foods, but worthwhile. Invite them to your table in the company of familiar favourite SF foods and follow safe preparation tips. When I notice my food logs becoming boring and redundant (to the point of eating the same foods everyday with only variations in condiments/spices/herbs) I know it's time to venture beyond my comfort zone and take a risk, have a little culinary adventure.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

re: Kate new
      #289030 - 11/04/06 07:18 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Mmmm sounds so yummy and fun. I am in a crazy busy time right now so I do well enough to grab something safe to eat. I just thought I would reply and say hello, nice to see you around!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: New Food of the Week new
      #289048 - 11/05/06 12:04 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

What a great idea. It is so easy to get in a rut with foods especially vegetables at my house. Thanks for the ideas.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Hi Betharoo! new
      #289087 - 11/05/06 08:23 PM
Wind

Thanks for saying "hi!" Remember: "Hakuna Matata!" I hope the stress dissipates.

One funny story relating to our mutual bunny food fix (i.e. pre-steamed & chilled carrots): I've turned yellow/orange. My doctor has advised me to avoid all yellow orange foods.

When you have an adventurous culinary moment--try something new that you've always wondered about. Experiment. I think a lot of IBS'ers fear trying something new, however safely prepared and with a sound source of SF, chances are that it will be a positive experience.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Hi Betharoo! new
      #289092 - 11/05/06 08:48 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

LOL you were orange!!! I gave up on them for awhile but funny enough I bought some of the little devils with groceries this week.
I think you are so right about trying new foods. I eat the same things until I get sick of them. I am petrified of trying anything new supplement or food wise.
I always wait until I am off work or don't have anything important going on which is rare so things end up sitting around just waiting for me to try them.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi Betharoo! new
      #289094 - 11/06/06 01:15 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I turned orange years ago from too much pumpkin, yams, carrots etc. I first noticed it on the palms of my hands. What a pain was giving them up since they were a staple of mine back then.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

kate and orange new
      #289098 - 11/06/06 05:31 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow you ar=ctually started turning orange thats hilarious, i assume it is not dangerous, just strange looking. How many carrots were you eating a day? i probably eat 4 a day and haven't noticed anthing yet, luckily.

Orange man project new
      #289104 - 11/06/06 07:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Speaking of turning orange you may find this orange man project humorous. It is about a fellow who did an experiment using carrots to see if he could himself orange. He only managed to make his palms orange

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Read bits and pieces of Orange Man Project...very humerous! N/T new
      #289112 - 11/06/06 09:10 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: kate and orange new
      #289123 - 11/06/06 10:20 AM
Wind

Well, I noticed myself going thru 5 lbs. per week of carrots.
I also eat alot of pumpkin and squash and sweet potatoes. I eat ALOT of dark leafy green foods like spinach and swiss chard (and now kale which I adore), too (I still have to get the guts up to try collards). Wild isn't it? I look kind of jaundice, now. I cannot help adoring dark green foods and orange foods.
Maybe because I food process a lot of my foods explains the absorption of the carotene? Who knows.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 610 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review