All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I didnt eat anything wrong today....i didnt even eat. Why bloated??
      #288800 - 11/02/06 11:29 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Im not understanding. I didnt eat anything. Why am I bloated and gassy and gurgly today. My stomach is huffing and puffing and making fart sounds INside.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I didnt eat anything wrong today....i didnt even eat. Why bloated?? new
      #288802 - 11/02/06 12:13 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Not eating can make this happen. You shouldn't have an empty stomach.

Also, what did you eat yesterday and the day before? Those can effect you....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#288803 - 11/02/06 12:16 PM
Joannelcoq

You mean, I would get bloated now from yesterdays meal??? I dont think so. Really?

#288804 - 11/02/06 12:22 PM
MCV

There's no need for the sarcasm. I'm trying to be helpful.

Have you read Heather's EFI book yet?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#288809 - 11/02/06 12:40 PM
Joannelcoq

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic but there is no reason to this. I am miserable. I cant tell if D will develope from this gassyness or not. But then Saturday I will be fine for a week and something will start again. Same EFI diet and all. Thanks for your help. Im just not happy.

#288812 - 11/02/06 12:44 PM
MCV

This is the nature of IBS - often times completely unpredictable. I highly recommend reading both of Heather's books. It will really help you understand and grasp some of the issues you have been grappling with. And since you aren't stable, I would also recommend following the diet very very strictly - try an elimination diet to see what your triggers are. Always start your meals with SF. Never go all day without eating - you should eat something every few hours so that your stomach does not get too empty, thus making it more sensitive.....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#288815 - 11/02/06 12:51 PM
Joannelcoq

I will try. Can you tell me what do you think the lapsed time is from eating to effects of bloating. Is it a day or more? I am trying to figure out what I ate. I ate some dairy yesterday although I am not lactose intolerant. Maybe I should take a lactaid. I do take a jarrow probiotic before dinner though.

#288816 - 11/02/06 12:54 PM
MCV

Dairy is an IBS trigger and should be avoided all together - that could definitely be the culprit. Even if you are not lactose-intolerant, there are other aspects that make it bad for us:

See here: IBS Triggers
Quote:

Dairy products[1] (cheese, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, cream, half-and half, ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, frozen yogurt). Dairy is an Irritable Bowel Syndrome trigger even if you're not lactose intolerant. It's simply not just the lactose. It's also not just the high fat content of most dairy products that can cause your IBS to flare. Even skim and lactose-free dairy can trigger IBS attacks. In addition to fat and lactose, dairy contains components such as the proteins whey and casein, which can cause severe digestion problems. Though yogurt is traditionally recommended as an "easily digestible" dairy product because fermentation has reduced the lactose levels, even non-fat versions contain whey and casein, and should be avoided.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Edited by MCV (11/02/06 12:56 PM)

#288823 - 11/02/06 02:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic but there is no reason to this. I am miserable. I cant tell if D will develope from this gassyness or not. But then Saturday I will be fine for a week and something will start again. Same EFI diet and all. Thanks for your help. Im just not happy.

But there is a reason to this at least based on what you say in a later post. Since you're eating dairy you are *not* following the EFI Diet. If you really want to give this approach a shot, you need to follow all the guidelines including cutting out trigger foods.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288829 - 11/02/06 02:48 PM
Joannelcoq

I havent used dairy in over a week, maybe two. There was some milk used in the chicken breading I ate yesterday. Maybe a tablespoon in 10 chicken breasts. Thats it.

Edited by Joannelcoq (11/02/06 02:55 PM)

#288831 - 11/02/06 02:53 PM
Sand

In another post in this thread you say:

Quote:

I ate some dairy yesterday although I am not lactose intolerant. Maybe I should take a lactaid. I do take a jarrow probiotic before dinner though.

That's why I said you need to stop eating trigger foods.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I didnt eat anything wrong today..SAND. I know but... new
      #288832 - 11/02/06 03:00 PM
Joannelcoq

I am working on it. Really I am. In the past I can eat ice cream and other dairies and it would have no effect on me. Now I cant pinpoint it. Sometimes it triggers and sometimes not. And why is it that lactose intolerant people are effected immediately. Like my son, one bite of a cheese pizza and he is gassin and pooping within the minute.

Edited by Joannelcoq (11/02/06 03:01 PM)

#288837 - 11/02/06 03:33 PM
Sand

Saying you didn't eat dairy is *not* the same as saying you ate dairy but you're sure it isn't bothering you. It makes it hard for people trying to help you to figure out what's wrong.

Part of what happens with IBS when you keep eating triggers is that the attacks look random. It's as if your gut can handle just so much of trigger foods then it gets an attack.

Let's say you eat dairy on Monday and dairy on Tuesday and no dairy on Wednesday. But you have an attack on Wednesday. It's not because of what you ate on Wednesday but because your tummy was so bothered by the dairy from Monday and Tuesday that any little thing upsets it.

That's why I said that the only way to know if Heather's approach works for you is to follow it faithfully for a while. If you keep putting stuff in your stomach that irritates it eventually you are going to have an attack. Not because of what you just put in it but because of all the stuff you put in it earlier.

Think of it like drinking alcohol. Let's say you have 4 shots of bourbon. Then you have a glass of white wine. You throw up. It's not because of the white wine - it's because of the 4 shots of bourbon you had before the white wine.

Some people with IBS are lactose intolerant. Even the ones who aren't have trouble with the proteins in milk - whey and casein. That's something different from being lactose intolerant and may show up differently.

--------------------

Time & amount perspective new
      #288840 - 11/02/06 03:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some triggers only need to occur in small amounts to cause discomfort. For example, in my case if I suck on a small mint made with high fructose corn syrup or I eat 2 teaspoons of cottage cheese I will experience gas, bloating, pain and D within 3 to 10 hours.

It took me years to realize that frequently the discomfort I was experiencing was a result of eating a small amount of a trigger food within the past 24 hours. Apparently for some people it can be as long as 48 hours.

Unfortunately, the only way to break the cycle is to fall back to basic EFI diet for an extended period of time until your stable. Then and only then can you start identify the triggers as you add in other foods. Hang in there. It requires patience. It took me 30 years

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#288858 - 11/02/06 06:04 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Not eating can do this - I had discomfort before a colonoscopy as I have been fasting for two days - at the time I was not sure why I had discomfort as I said "I am empty, I have not eaten". The doctor just shrugged it off - NOW i understand that the empty colon (bowel) was (is) not good thing for me - It actually aggravates me. Yes, things I ate yesterday probably could affect me today - sometimes I never know as when attack starts I cannot always pinpoint what caused it. Debbie IBS_A

#288887 - 11/03/06 06:15 AM
MCV

Quote:

Think of it like drinking alcohol. Let's say you have 4 shots of bourbon. Then you have a glass of white wine. You throw up. It's not because of the white wine - it's because of the 4 shots of bourbon you had before the white wine.

NICE ANALOGY!!!! I like that one, Sand!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#288895 - 11/03/06 07:35 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Temporary eating of safe foods does not cure IBS and not eating at all is very bad for the gut.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 954 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review