Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What is IBS-Safe for Yeast Infections?
      #288795 - 11/02/06 10:53 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello!

Suddenly at the age of 48, I seem to have developed a problem with recurring yeast infections.

Could some of the more experienced IBSers on this board let me know what I could take to prevent these infections? I need something that would be IBS-safe.

I've heard of yoghurt helping, but obviously I can't have that because it's a milk product. Right now I'm stuck taking an antibiotic that makes me quite nauseated and doesn't seem to be working as well as I would have hoped.

I have a severe case of IBS so I need something that would be easy on my gut. I would prefer a natural approach, if possible.

Many thanx in advance to anyone who replies!

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is IBS-Safe for Yeast Infections? new
      #288796 - 11/02/06 11:04 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The reason they recommend yogurt is only because of the probiotic effect. So, taking a probiotic (acidophilus) should help, and will definetly help the effects of taking antibiotics.

From a Google search I found:
"A vaginal douche twice a day with a solution containing acidophilus is indicated if you have any kind of vaginal infection, especially a yeast infection. Even if you do not douche, just consuming acidophilus will help to some extent. Your physician will provide you with the specific protocol you need for a vaginal infection."

--------------------
Kat

#288801 - 11/02/06 11:38 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

My sister used to have awful recurring yeast infections, too. She found this web page with home remedies. Both she and I have used the garlic method and the tea tree oil method with great results. Since they are topical rather than taken internally, they should be completely IBS-safe. I find the tea tree oil particularly good when used at the first sign of yeast.
I haven't tried any of the other things on the web site, though (and of course, the yogurt is right out).
Good luck.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#288805 - 11/02/06 12:29 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The BEST probiotic you can possibly take would be Bio-K!!! I used this when I was on an antibiotic (I'm very susceptible to yeast infections). Buy the dairy-free bottles (Wild Oats, Whole Foods, etc.) and start small; maybe 1/3 bottle/day for three days, then 1/2 bottle/day for a few days. I mixed my daily dose with soy yogurt. Just take it for about 7-10 days, and then switch to a probiotic pill. I find that a probiotic with several different kinds of bacteria (rather than JUST acidophilus) works much better for me.

The Bio-K stuff is AWESOME!! I credit it with the beginning of my "stability"!!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#288877 - 11/03/06 05:57 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

What probiotic pill did you switch to? I was taking BIO-K in capsule form (didn't try the dairy-free bottles) and I didn't notice any changes at all. I gave it a good 2 months and nothing. I want to try another probiotic, is it worth it to try the BIO-K dairy free bottles, and use them over long periods of time? I really would like a pill form, since for travelling it's much easier.

Thanks

--------------------
Kat

#288878 - 11/03/06 06:00 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Make sure you take a probiotic and just try to cut down the yeast SFs like the breads, I think.

#288890 - 11/03/06 06:33 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

for yeast infections natren heaqlthy start works great, or you can get probiotics thst fcome with an applicator and you put them directly at the source while you take others orally.

#288933 - 11/03/06 04:34 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I agree! The Bio K stuff can be a bit nasty (like half drinking/half chewing runny yogurt) and a bit pricey, but I
think it works. I had a yeast infection while taking antibiotics and once I was done with them, (took it during too, but it couldn't prevent it) I took the Bio K in additional to the cream stuff (which usually doesn't work great with me) and bam, infection gone!

I remember reading somewhere that it's got a ton more a bacteria than the pills and since it's chilled, you don't have to worry about them being "dead" like the ones on the shelf.

#289090 - 11/05/06 08:40 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I definitely recommend you try the bottles. If you only take 1/2 bottle/day, three or four bottles would be plenty. I switched to Solaray multidophilus; I think that works better for me than plain acidophilus. I'd be curious to hear if the bottles work better for you than the capsules, since I was considering buying the capsules the next time I have to travel. Do the capsules have to be refrigerated?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Thank you! new
      #289093 - 11/05/06 10:15 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just now had a chance to read everyone's replies. I was too busy last week because I was scrambling to pack for my vacation. Right now I'm in California visiting my boyfriend.

You guys are just great and all of your suggestions are terrific! I am going to check out the Bio-K dairy-free bottles at Wholefoods (there's one nearby) as well as the solaray multidophilus and acidophilus.

I have finished the two anti-fungal pills (taken orally) that I was given. I'm not sure if the infection is totally gone or not. My Canadian doctor was rather unhelpful and said there was nothing else she could suggest if the pills had not worked. However, since I am in the U.S. right now, I may go see a doctor here. I think American medicine is more advanced than Canadian medicine. For example, new treatments are always available in the U.S. before Canada.

I spoke to an American pharmacist today and she told me there are many other options to treat my infection outside of the two pills my doctor gave me.

By the way, does anyone know of a good naturopath in the Palo Alto / San Jose area? I might try that route too.

Thank you again!

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3348

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review