All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My new plan of attack
      #288450 - 10/30/06 11:40 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

...or should I say anti-attack? I have been posting that almost all week I've had so many bms throughout the day. I feel like I could go anytime...like there is always something there or my stomach is just not really settled. Yesterday I thought I ate safe and this morning...again...probably about 4 bms within an hour and 1/2. It wasn't watery d, but the urge was there and "lots" came out (sorry for the graphic)...somtimes I can't believe there is that much matter inside of us. Anyhow, I had to run to the bathroom in the middle of a Halloween parade a few times...once I was done though with the last time, I finally felt complete. Some of you have responded that this happened to you for awhile and then it got better. Other posts in regards to my question about whether primal defense could be causing this said yes it could at first. It almost feels like I have the old IBS-D days, I'm just a little luckier that I can "hold it" a little better than before and not so much pain. Anyhow, of course I didn't listen to my doctor or anyone on this website b/c I was so enthusiastic that I started the Primal Defense and GNC Digestive Enzymes at the same time (I think one day off). I also increased throughout this week my Acacia to 1 tsp 3times/day instead of 3/4tsp 3 times/day. Too many changes to be sure of what it is (of course period is halfway done...I'm usually fine by now with my bowels if it were related) and it's hard to say but I think I've been eating pretty safe. So my plan is to stop taking the PD b/c I am suspecting that to be the culprit. Before, I was more c from the Acacia and was trying to add IF. What do you think? Digestive Enzymes wouldn't cause this, would they? Thanks...I hope to hear some responses before bed so I can decide on what the heck to take!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My new plan of attack new
      #288463 - 10/30/06 03:04 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

It sounds like you've got a lot going on. Take one thing at a time and be sure of how it does. Sometimes I wait a whole week in between trying new things, this way I'm sure of what does what to my system. I say good job though on not being afraid to try new things. Good luck!

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#288472 - 10/30/06 04:03 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How long have you been taking the acacia? I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now and I just increased it to 2.5 teaspoons per day.
I agree you have a lot going on all at once for a beginner. Any probiotic has the potential to make you feel that way because it is cleaning out the bad bacteria in your gut. A digestive enzyme might also cause the same symptoms depending on your system. I've heard some people do very well on them and others don't. For a few days try only taking the acacia so your system can settle down a bit. Then add either the digestive enzyme or the probiotics. Over a couple of weeks see how your body reacts to it. If you feel fine, then add in the other. Don't be discouraged about the probiotic, it can take up to 2 months to really feel a difference in you ibs.

#288489 - 10/30/06 05:16 PM
line415

Thanks Gracie. I should probably keep a calendar of exact lengths of times since I keep estimating these changes, but I have been taking the Acacia for approximately 5 weeks (I took Fibercon for a week before that). Thanks for your encouragement. Maybe that is a good idea to just go back to the Acacia. I wonder how necessary it is to add the probiotic and digestive enzymes. I know we are all different. It would be great if just the Acacia and diet did the trick, but I guess I read all these successful posts and I think...oh if I do that I'll be stablet too. Also, I have a history (since I was a kid) to be sick often and have been on a lot of antibiotics in my lifetime. It has only been in the last 5 years or so that I have really tried to avoid them unless I was really sick and then took the full dose. I swear my IBS developed partially from all those years of havock on my system. I suppose someone like me could really benefit then from a probiotic but we'll see. I was taking acidophilis before (just one pill) and I couldn't really tell if it was making any difference. Do you take anything else in addition to the Acacia? And are you c or d?

--------------------

#288490 - 10/30/06 05:18 PM
line415

Thank you...I don't know if I'm brave..just crazy and desperate sometimes!!!

--------------------

#288513 - 10/30/06 07:29 PM
Gracie

I'm an A so I get both C and D. The 2 things that I believe really helped a lot and made me stable was a fibre supplement and a good strong probiotic - I find just a regular acidophilus weak for me, I need a probiotic with a few different strains in it. The last few months I have been more unstable because I took BC pills for almost a year and that really played havoc with my IBS. I'm gradually getting better though.

probiotic/enzymes new
      #288544 - 10/31/06 10:25 AM
line415

Thank you. I'm going to try just using the Acacia for the time being since now I am up to 3 tsp/day. I am probably a good candidate also for the probiotic, but it was a full week and the primal defense was still making me "go" so much. Maybe I need one that is milder (but stronger than just acidophilis.) You could make yourself crazy reading all these posts about probiotics (and poor too if you keep buying them all!). Do you have a suggestion? What about Digest Gold? Same potency as pd? I tried to compare the labels but the numbers are listed differently and I'm certainly no scientist! And I'm wondering, do some people only take digestive enzymes when they are going to eat a less safe meal (ie.,veggies+SF) and not take it when they eat something easier for THEM to digest (ie, bowl of oatmeal with soy milk)?

--------------------

Re: probiotic/enzymes new
      #288548 - 10/31/06 10:38 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I usually take the Digest Gold only when I'm going to eat something I consider "challenging" - higher in fat than ideal, unfamiliar ot troublesome veggies, etc. I especially like to take them before restaurant meals, particularly if it's a new place or I'm trying a new dish. I don't take them routinely, unless I'm under a lot of stress or having a flare-up.
I'm not sure either about how the Digest Gold potency compares to PD. I'm not sure they're entirely comparable, since my impression is that digestive enzymes and probiotics do fairly different things, even if they share some ingredients. Also, when I do take Digest Gold, I still take the PD, although I usually take the DG at the beginning of the meal and the PD at the end.
Before I started PD, I took Powerdophilus, made by Country Life. It's not nearly as strong, but it is pretty good. Powerdophilus needs refrigeration.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#288618 - 10/31/06 05:53 PM
line415

I realized I must have miscommunicated in my post. I meant to say that I was comparing the GNC mult-enzymes to the Digest Gold. I guess it's so hard to say what to try, what might work...we're all so different. I'm getting frustrated and need to rethink this whole thing with just the Acacia for now. All of this take so much time to let your system adjust and then each time you change, back to square one . Thanks for your input.

--------------------

#288634 - 10/31/06 07:44 PM
Gracie

A probiotic whether it's primal defense or a different brand may take more than a week to initially clean out the bad bacteria. I would stick with the Primal defense for at least 2 or 3 more weeks before switching, but that's only my opinion, you have to listen to your body. Is it possible anxiety is playing a part in this and making you go more?

#288635 - 10/31/06 07:50 PM
Gracie

I'm not familiar with either of those digestive enzymes. I've used the one from RenewLife, I think it's called digestmore, and the past couple of years (but not continuously) I've been using a brand made for my fitness centre.

#288668 - 11/01/06 11:12 AM
line415

It could have been a little anxiety but it seems too coincidental that it started along with the PD. I already stopped taking it so now I will have to just wait and see and decide if I want to try again at some point. I didn't realize that it could take that long for the bad bacteria to get flushed out. Actually, I didn't even know that it would happen...I thought it would just fight off any new bacteria that I ingested. We'll see...

--------------------

#291132 - 11/24/06 03:48 PM
Nicoblu

Reged: 12/28/05
Loc: Lafayette, LA

Quote:

I'm not familiar with either of those digestive enzymes. I've used the one from RenewLife, I think it's called digestmore, and the past couple of years (but not continuously) I've been using a brand made for my fitness centre.

I've used that too! Here's the link-- DIGEST MORE or from Vitacost.com Digest More

I got a little more specific with my Enzyme therapy though and choose a Genderspecific Version: Woman Zyme Which contains a "Proprietary herbal blend for the common symptoms of premenstrual syndrome*" I choose this since my most severe IBS symptoms coincided with my menstrual period.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review