All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Canned beans
      #288357 - 10/29/06 01:49 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Are we able to eat canned beans by itself? Like normal canned beans? In maple syrup or molasses or anything? I think they can come in tomato sauce too. Are we able to eat a whole can? I find they really help me 'go' I'd just like to know if they are safe, thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Canned beans new
      #288362 - 10/29/06 03:20 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

a whole can in one sitting would be really hard to digest whoever you are, but if they help and don't give you problems then by all means go for it. I eat beans that come from a can in a lot of meals that i make, but they are never the largest portion of the meal.

#288368 - 10/29/06 05:47 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I agree with Miso. I eat canned beans in recipes and as a side dish with my meal. I can't tolerate alot of them though. I always get the ones in tomato sauce, pork would not be a safe option either.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#288374 - 10/29/06 06:34 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I like the vegetarian baked beans, Bush's brand. I eat them as a side dish about 1/2 cup. I recently ate some canned kidney beans and they kept me up all night! Not sure why they were harder to digest but I won't be eating those again too soon. And I always take 2 Beano when I eat beans.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#288379 - 10/29/06 07:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Make sure that there are no trigger ingredients in the canned bean products, i.e. pork or beef or lard.

Also, I think that a whole can might be excessive and traumatic to your body--that's pretty extreme and might inflict exceptional pain or discomfort or embarrassment. An average can of beans usually contains at least 4 servings of beans. I'm a vegetarian and eat beans just about everyday and do not generally consume more than a cup of beans in a meal (with SF). I think the most beans I've eaten in a meal is 1.5 cup of lentils.

Also, mashing/pureeing the beans really eases the impact. Beano and other enzyme products can ease the digestion of pulses. It takes awhile for one's body to become familiar with beans/legumes. I find that the smaller ones are the easiest to digest, i.e. lentils, split peas. Moreover (not that it really matters), I note that the pulses I cook myself (after soaking/rinsing) hardly cause any gas at all.

Kate, IBS-D.

#288564 - 10/31/06 01:20 PM
BillK

Reged: 10/31/06

Hey,

Recently I have been following a low GI diet. I found these vegetarian recipes that are low GI and thought they may help me. But I have been using a lot of canned beans and your post worries me. I have had a lot of wind lately, do you think this could be the cause?

Bill

Re: Canned beans & the Low G.I. Diet new
      #288633 - 10/31/06 07:34 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Canned beans are actually HIGHER G.I. than home-cooked. Beans can be gassy because they contain indigestible sugars. Also, many people do not chew their food effectively which can cause wind. I find that taking Vegetarian Enzymes or Beano eliminates any bad gas or wind.

When you soak your own beans, alot of the gassy ogliosaccharides are released into the soaking liquid (which you discard) prior to cooking. Therefore, home-cooked beans are less gassy than the canned ones.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Canned beans & the Low G.I. Diet new
      #289065 - 11/05/06 12:08 PM
BillK

Reged: 10/31/06

Thanks for the tips Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review