All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Runners and teachers
      #288244 - 10/28/06 07:11 AM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

So, I'm working on running a half marathon in February. Thought about the whole marathon, but really not sure my stomach could handle that. I ran 3 miles on Tuesday and ended up sick the next day. I don't know if it was because of the run and I ate the wrong things afterward, or just eating a lot like I did late at night, but it was not good. I'm a second grade teacher which makes it difficult to leave the room at any moment! I usually have my IBS under control and do not worry that I can not leave my classroom whenever I like, but Wednesday was one of the most miserable days I have ever had teaching. Are there any other teachers out there? Aside from the bathroom thing, do any of you think that the job is just too high-stress for people with IBS? I would love to hear thoughts from other teachers. I'm thinking of getting out of this profession...

Sorry, back to the running thing (I guess I am trying to cover two topics here.) I did run in a 5K race last evening and am doing all right so far. I made sure to not eat too much last night. It's still early in the day though... All you runners out there, what do you eat before and after? Has anyone been able to run a marathon? Any other tips for long-distance running?

OK, I've written enough! Hope to hear from many!

Peace,

Kathryn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Runners and teachers new
      #288250 - 10/28/06 08:11 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

Kat,

Definitely not a runner!!!! I am however a teacher and this is my 12th year in an elementary classroom. Sometimes, I do think it is too stressful for my IBS, especially around state testing time when the pressure for students to perform is on. Mine was especially bad last year when I changed grade levels to bring up our 5th grade science scores. I was very ill from about April until late July. I have found, however that by controlling my anxiety and diet ( my IBS is strongly affected by stress), that I still really enjoy the kids and the job.

I also have let my neighboring teachers know about my condition and I have a signal where I can just walk to their door and give the signal and they know to watch my kids while I am having a "tummy moment". I also don't hesitate to take a sick day or a personal one if really needed to take care of me first. As my dad told me once: "That place will keep on running even if you are not there." If you truly love teaching, there are ways to keep IBS at bay and still remain in the classroom. Good luck to you!!

Christy

#288259 - 10/28/06 09:28 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I hear your stress about teaching. I am currently a stay at home mom but I taught for 11 years and yes, IBS can be extremely interfering with our jobs. The stress of being responsible for ours students and not being able to leave them is enought to trigger an attack. Once I had to ask a lunch aide to watch my kids twice while I barely made it to the girls room(yes...the one that the kids use...ugh). Of course that was illegal, but the alternative would have put me on the front page of the local newspaper. (I taught 6th grade special education at that time). Then I worked a few years on the child study team, thinking that it would be much easier with the IBS b/c I would have an office and be able to leave without the responsibility of the kids...wrong. Most days we had meetings with parents (important/legal ones where I was leading them) and that was difficult too. So my point is, do you really love teaching, aside from the IBS? Ask yourself if IBS did not exist, what career would you want? If your answer is teaching, then I would stick with it and work on the anxiety through hypno, meds, immodium, whatever you need to do b/c unfortunately the reality is that other jobs will probably pose difficult situations for IBS too. What I would do though is talk to your principal or a teacher nearby your class and get a doctor's note if necessary to ensure that you can leave your kids on a second's notice to use the bathroom. The teacher next door could watch them or maybe someone on their prep. Just knowing that you have an out might make you have to use the restroom less. And of course I would eat super safe in the evenings and all day at school. Maybe you could change the type of teaching your doing (for example, teach in a basic skills position or something with small groups of kids where you have more breaks in your schedule. I taught resource program for years and that was easier than being in a classroom all day. My students were little to I could run to the bathroom before picking up the next group.)Keep in mind that you might want to bail out on field trips that require taking a bus...I'm not sure how to get out of that one other than stating the truth or choosing locations that are really close to school and taking immodium beforehand. I know...it's terrible. I am just dreading the interview process again when I am ready to go back to work. I'm not nervous about answering any questions, just nervous that I'll have to excuse myself to use the restroom. Also, kids in 5th grade are very perceptive, so if they ever catch on to your frequent leaving, feign some kind of nausea or say that you have to check on a family member who is sick and call from the teacher's room throughout the day. It will save you some embarrassment. As for the running, good for you to even be trying. You should be proud b/c that is a feat in itself. Maybe someone else can help you with that. All I know is that I would drive the route before hand to be aware of all the restrooms. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#288265 - 10/28/06 10:22 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Another teacher here. I teach high school, though. I've talked to DH about the stress of the job. He understands as he's a teacher, too. Now I'm pregnant which compounds some of the problems. I'm a C so I don't often have to leave the room suddenly but when I do have to go, I can get stuck for awhile. I do know that my stomach issues magically fade during the summer which I'm sure has something to do with the stress. This is my 14th year and last year was my worst. I've had IBS symptoms for years but last year was the first time it got bad enough to really look into it and severly change my diet.

Because this will be baby #3, I have good excuse to go part-time next year. I'm just hoping they'll work with me on that one. Good luck with your tummy issues.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#288334 - 10/29/06 09:34 AM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

Hi Kat32,
I'm not a teacher, but I'm certainly a runner. Although I'm IBS-C, I use to have to go to the bathroom when I did a long run or after a run (which for IBS-C is wonderful!). I've been a runner for 10 years now and a long distance runner for two. The only thing I can tell you is that your body adjusts. Running doesn't help my IBS-C anymore because my body has adapted to it. I imagine it would be the same for IBS-D or A. Regardless, many, many runners get what they call "runner's trots" which is why the have bathrooms every one to two miles during a race.

As for diet, I generally eat a bowl of oatmeal (2 instant packets) in the morning and then a banana about 30 minutes before a run longer than 5 miles.

Just takke your time building up your mileage to let your body adapt. The training will help relieve a lot of your teacher's stress and will probably eventually help you with your IBS.

#288372 - 10/29/06 06:17 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Hey there! This will be kind of a combo answer since I'm a teacher with IBS and my husband is a runner (no IBS though).

I can sympathize with you about not being able to leave the room with students in it. I teach in the computer lab at 2 elementary schools. I'm lucky in that I have a bathroom in the lab in one of the schools, but in the other, the bathroom is down the hall. My classes are 50 minutes long - with 2 back to back and then a 10 minute break, then another 50 minute class. Back in April when I first started having IBS problems, I just wouldn't eat or drink before my classes and that solved any problems. This fall though, I usually stick to rice or turkey at lunch and so far no problems (knock on wood!). I did have a major attack last month (due to stress!) and stayed home from school for 3 days. The good thing about being a teacher is that they will get a sub for you. I don't even feel guilty when I call in sick anymore. I know my body's limitations and when I get an attack, my body pretty much just shuts down and I have to sleep it off.

As for the running, my husband has been a runner for over 25 years and has also done marathons in the past. The night before a race (short or long), he will either have pizza or spaghetti to carbo load. The morning of a race, he usually drinks gatorade or something like that and if it's a longer race, maybe will eat a piece of toast or a banana. For short races (10K or shorter) he doesn't eat anything. He will run in the morning usually 5 miles or so, then 10 or so in the evening. Sundays are usually long runs, maybe 15 miles or so. He says the more miles you can put on while training will make the race easier.

Don't give up your goal of running a half marathon unless you honestly don't want to do it. You can work through this and figure out the best way to get it done. Good luck with your training and racing. Let me know how things are going!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 596 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review