--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Your body produce the glutamine it needs .... new
      #289379 - 11/08/06 12:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

As I understand it your body produces all of the glutamine it needs. It has no need for an external source of l-glutamine and even during serious medical situations there is no evidence to support the use of l-glutamine supplements.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thank you, Syl-nt new
      #289385 - 11/08/06 12:52 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Your body produce the glutamine it needs .... new
      #289421 - 11/08/06 08:40 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

So why does it help so many people? Why do some people only look at facts? If something's not proven, it doesn't mean it is not true.
Up until a few years ago most of the modern western civilization thought naturopathic medicines or treatments were hocus pocus things that had no merit. Over the last 20 years or so, there has been a shift in thought, and belief because research has been done and they conclude those methods do work too.

Re: Your body produce the glutamine it needs .... new
      #289425 - 11/08/06 09:05 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Hm, I don't know why it helps people, but I certainly like the facts. It could be that we are only hearing about the cases where it helped people, and those cases are just normal variation.

I take L-Glutamine new
      #289427 - 11/08/06 09:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

My understanding is that healthy people generally shouldn't need L-Glutamine supplements. From what I have read, it is supposed to help with immune function and help to strengthen the lining of the stomach and gut. Just what I've read there.

What I do know for certain is that when I don't take it, I'm in an awful lot of pain. When I do take it, I'm fine.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Source? new
      #289433 - 11/09/06 05:30 AM
Syl

Quote:

So why does it help so many people?

Can you provide me with a reputable reference that supports this claim?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Source? new
      #289449 - 11/09/06 07:58 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i think that she means she has heard from many who seem to benefit from it. I feel that for myself it has amde a difference and so i continue to take it, i seem to have less adverse reactions to foods and it seems to have helped my reaction to acidic foods the most. Every natural type doctor i have ever seen has suggested l-glutamine to me as they have seen it help many people with stomach issues in their own practice. Sometimes the facts are not all its about, but i feel i need to knwo the fact first before i jump into something as well,i do remember reading this is accurate that it helps with healing of leaky gut and ulcers etc, i should try and find th einfo again.

#289456 - 11/09/06 08:29 AM
Syl

Okay - I understand. I have seen reports that suggest l-glutamine is helpful as an amino acid supplement for extreme sports such as body building. However, the research literature has mixed indications about that too.

The complementary medicine group at the University of Maryland suggest that l-glutamine supplement may be helpful for IBD and other things. However, even they say the evidence about its use with IBD is inconclusive.

They summarize the use of l-glutamine as follows "Adequate amounts of glutamine are generally obtained through diet alone because the body is also able to make glutamine on its own. Certain medical conditions, including injuries, surgery, infections, and prolonged stress, can deplete glutamine levels, however. In these cases, glutamine supplementation may be helpful."

One thing that is for certain l-glutamin is safe to use even in doses as high as 15 grams per day. It sure cannot hurt to take it if you feel it gives you some benefits. It just is not evident in the research literature that there is a benefit to taking l-glutamine supplements.

Good Luck

--------------------

#289543 - 11/09/06 06:37 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I think you have missed my point.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review