All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
in need of help asap
      #288228 - 10/28/06 12:02 AM
joji

Reged: 10/27/06

My sister has been very ill with all the symptoms of IBS. SHe has even had bleeding ulcers. The doctor's have run a lot of tests and have her on all sorts of medication. I don't believe they are helping, I think they are making it worse. I need any suggestions on a diet she could try that would maybe lesson her symptoms. I have read all the previous pages of information on heather's site. My sister basically is at the point of not eating anything because it irritates her stomach so much. She is lactose intolerant, cannot eat fruit or fruit juices because of the acid content. The doctors have ruled out diabetes, hormonal imbalances, thyroid, and cannot pinpoint anything. I have suggested a few herbal remedies that I know of but if anyone has a list of foods or a diet that would be simple and inexpensive for her to follow I believe her health would improve.
thanks,
joji

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: in need of help asap new
      #288234 - 10/28/06 04:05 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi,
well the diet that most people follow on these boards is called the eating for ibs diet.
It is based on soluble fiber foods avoiding trigger foods (which are high fat products, red meat and dairy) and eating as much insoluble fiber as you can.
There are lists on this board which tell you what foods are soluble, insoluble and triggers.
A lot of people find help from this diet, hopefully you will too.
I would definitely recommend Heather's book 'ibs-the first year' this details lots of things that can help ibs.
Godbless
xxx

#288235 - 10/28/06 04:23 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, Check out the IBS Diet board as Heather has a post there on reading for before anything else - it helps to explain the diet. Search through the site as there is alot of information. I feel for your sister as I too have suffered from bleeding ulcers and they are very painful. Anti-inflammatories worsen mine so they are no longer part of my life! Heather's IBS diet is worth a try and it is basically very healthy. I did find that even some of the safe listed foods can be triggers for some people so you do have to personalise it as you go along. Keep me informed of your sisters progress - this too shall pass! God Bless! Debbie IBS-A

get some l-glutamine new
      #288239 - 10/28/06 06:54 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

hello, i have a few suggestions, first of al the EFI diet previously mentioned is a very good start for her to calm her insides and get on a better track. secondly get a bottle of l-glutamine capsules or powder and have her take between 3500mg and 5000 mg a day spread out over the course of the day and always on an empty stomach. L-glutamine is an amino acid that helps heal the lining of the intestines and reduces inflammation. Also introduce probiotics to her system to help get things in order as well. all of these things you can read about here on the site buy doing searches and by googling, good luck.

Miso & l-glutamine new
      #288257 - 10/28/06 08:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Miso

I have seen you recommend l-glutamine a number of times. Do you have a reference to some research data that shows l-glutamine helps heal the intestinal linings? Thanks

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#288260 - 10/28/06 09:31 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp
I would start there. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Re: Miso & l-glutamine new
      #288268 - 10/28/06 11:36 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i do not have any on me but you can find it out there, i have been recommended to take it by several doctors, i western, i naturopathic and one sports medicine. I recommend it based on there recommendations and personal experiences with it. Also i have been told by some doctors that they include it in the tube feeding preparations in hospitals to help intestinal muscle tone and healing following any kind of traumas that require a patient to be on tune feeding, it keeps the muscles from atrophy. I have also read about l-glutamine heloing to heal stomach ulcers and leaky gut. I know that you are very scientific, so i would be love to hear what kind of info you come up with when and if you look into it.

#289263 - 11/07/06 03:24 PM
Syl

Hi Miso. I have done a bit of research. Here is what I have learned.

Glutamine, a 5-carbon non-essential amino acid, is the most abundant free amino acid in the body. It is consumed by actively growing cells such as the lining of the gut and other viseral organs. Skeletal muscle synthesizes and stores glutamine. Almost all of glutamine in the blood is derived from the intracellular glutamine pool in skeletal muscle.

The intestine uses about 1/3 of the total glutamine in the body. It is absorbed into the viseral organs and it is rapidly metabolised within the intestine. About 25% of the glutamine in blood is removed each time it passes through the small intestine.

Patients maintained on TPN become depleted in glutamine. However, there is a lack of evidence from clinical trials demonstrating that supplementation with glutamine has specific clinical advantages.

References
Coster, J., R. McCauley, and J. Hall, 2004: Glutamine: metabolism and application in nutrition support. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 13, 25-31.

Griffiths, R. D. and F. Andresw, 2001: Glutamine: a life threatening deficiency in the critically ill? Intensive Care Medicine, 27, 12-15

Rhoads, M., 2001: Glutamine Metabolism: Nutritional and Clinical Significance. Journal of Nutrition, 131, 2532S–2534S.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#289284 - 11/07/06 04:48 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Funny, this post reminded me about my doctor...just yesterday he told me that there is no real evidence that probiotics help IBS patients. Well regardless of what he says I know probiotics are very beneficial.

Clinical evidence for probiotics ..,. new
      #289295 - 11/07/06 05:48 PM
Syl

There is clinical evidence to support the use of probiotics. I suspect your doctor might not familar with the recent research.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review