All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to take for menstrual pain? Motrin works great, but not good for IBS, right? nt
      #288195 - 10/27/06 05:20 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to take for menstrual pain? Motrin works great, but not good for IBS, right? nt new
      #288196 - 10/27/06 05:21 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I take Advil, but not everyone can handle that.

Re: What to take for menstrual pain? Motrin works great, but not good for IBS, right? nt new
      #288207 - 10/27/06 06:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You could try Tylenol. However, none of the NSAIDs I've tried - Motrin, Advil, Alleve - bother my tummy at all. This is pretty individual so unfortunately you'll just have to try. Keep in mind, too, that you may be more prone to D around your period (I always was even pre-IBS) so if you try an NSAID and get a flare it might be the drug or it might be the hormones.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288213 - 10/27/06 06:31 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Motrin contains ibuprophen, which is bad for your stomach. My doctor told me not to take it since I have gastritis, because it would make it worse.

Tylenol contains paracetamol (or acetaminophen depending where you live) and it does not bother the stomach.

If Motrin works for you, definitely switch to Tylenol and it will probably work, even better, I suspect. They give Paracetamol even to babies so it is pretty safe (in reasonable doses )

#288218 - 10/27/06 07:44 PM
line415

Thanks everyone. Took Tylenol today but it's just not cutting it. I usually take Motrin (not often, just the first few days of my period or if my back is bothering me or something). I'm just trying to be so strict about everything I ingest b/c it seems like every time I turn around, there is another factor to add into the question of "what is really working and not working for my body?"...know what I mean? I'm going to sleep and if I'm still miserable tomorrow, I'll have to take the Motrin...my cramps are awful the first day or so. thanks.

--------------------

#288230 - 10/28/06 12:53 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

What doses did you take of Tylenol? Did you get it as a liquid the way Motrin is? Maybe you just didn't have enough quantity-wise.

Personally, I find neither Ibuprophen, nor Paracetamol work for me (for menstrual pain)... For that, I usually take a drug composed of Metamizole sodium (aka Analgin, another NSAID), Pitofenon hydrochloride (an antispasmodic), Fenpiverin bromide (no idea what that is). It is an antispasmodic and pain killer. I find analgin much stronger than Tylenol(paracetamol) as a pain killer in general, but I don't know if it irritates the lining of the stomach the way motrin(ibuprophen) does.

Are there any drugs containing Analgin in the US? (I moved here 3 years ago and still get most of my medication from Europe). If so, maybe try them

#288246 - 10/28/06 07:57 AM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

This may not assist in helping the pain immediately, but I typically get pretty bad PMS symptoms. I have found that taking evening primrose oil helps minimize the symptoms. May be something to try...

#288261 - 10/28/06 09:34 AM
line415

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I only took 2 extra-strength tylenol...mabye I could have taken three. I know Motrin would do the trick though. I'm wondering, will it really do a number on your stomach if it's just a couple of doses. Maybe on a full/stable stomach it would be okay just to get through that first day or two. Fetal position is best with a heating pad...just wish I could do that in the middle of an active day. Then add in the IBS pain from the hormonal change and yuk...don't come near me those two days!!!

--------------------

Tylenol, liver, heating pad new
      #288266 - 10/28/06 10:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Careful with the Tylenol. It's not like an NSAID where you can "overdose" without *too* much fear - Tylenol can mess with your liver.

As for heating pads in the middle of the day, check this out. I've never used these (although other people on the Boards do for both menstrual and IBS pain) but I've used the ones for the back and they're unbelievably wonderful.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

THANK YOU! I'm definitely going to check them out so I'll be prepared for next month n/t new
      #288290 - 10/28/06 05:56 PM
line415

--------------------

#288293 - 10/28/06 06:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Ibuprofen is better for menstrual pain because it's a prostaglandin inhibitor.

http://www.painfoundation.org/page.asp?file=documents/doc_031.htm&menu=1

I get both cramps and migraines with my period, so I just suck it up and take the ibuprofen (on a full stomach) or I know I'll be miserable all week. For other things I take Tylenol now, but I have to take 3 Xtra-strength to have any effect on me.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review