All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No wheat/gluten, oats, dairy, or sugars..and still pain
      #288055 - 10/26/06 01:33 PM
Mom-of-IBS-child

Reged: 10/17/06

Heather,
My 12 year old son was diagnosed with IBS last May, and it manifests itself as stomach pain around the navel area. We have found that he is intolerant to wheat/gluten, oats, dairy, sugars(artificial or refined.) It is a difficult diet to manage, but we try our best. I cook all his meals and it is a daunting task, but there are worse things that one can suffer in life.

When we are real strict about the diet and sleep times are kept on tab, then we seem to do better in avoiding down times with him.

For the wheat issue, I have found a flour mixture of sorghum, brown rice and tapioca works well along with xanthum gum/cornstarch/baking powder. Dairy is easy to replace with Lactaid Milk and goat milk/cheese products, and Madhava Nectar is wonderful as a sugar replacement.

However, we are still missing something in his diet as he is still down with stomach pain about once a week and that will keep him in bed for at least half the day. I feel like it's for looking for a needle in a haystack...

Peppermint tablets gave him an instant stomach ache, Aloe does the same. Can't get him to drink tea....

I have the prescription Nulev for him and sometimes it works..Tylenol 3 when it's really bad, but I really believe that the answer is getting to the source of what causes the pain.

Can you suggest any direction as to how to address this condition, or what I might look at doing for him?
(I have found that traditional doctors and GI's are really not helpful at all, other than writing out prescriptions....I feel that they just don't get it.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No wheat/gluten, oats, dairy, or sugars..and still pain new
      #288075 - 10/26/06 02:43 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

Lactaid milk and goat milk still contain things that are IBS-triggers. It's not just the lactose, it's ANY dairy product. In my search to become stable, I've discovered that dairy is one of the WORST for me. I never eat any kind of cheese or dairy product, but I started experimenting with some foods that have dairy WAY down on the ingredients list, and found that I had trouble right away. You might try soy milk or rice milk instead (although soy doesn't do well for me at all, and a lot of others seem to have trouble too, so I'd be cautious with that one). I haven't had it in a long time, but I used to get pain right behind my belly button as well. It is the strangest sensation and feels like somehow your belly button is connected to your intestines. I hope you find some relief for your son. It must be hard for him to have to eat such different foods from his friends at school.

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#288102 - 10/26/06 06:17 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Sounds like me...

-use soy or rice milk. any dairy deretive, including casein, is a trigger for me.
-what's his stomach emptying time? ask for a small bowl follow thru test and/or the test where you eat radioactive food and they take pix of your tummy for how fast it empties. it identified my delayed gastric emptying--which lead to other dietary changes.
-i can not tolerate any sugar, including fruit. try stevia...a natural sweetner w/ a 0 glycemic index. some can tolerate, some can't. i am not a diabetic but can't process sugar. stick with low gi foods.
-has he been tested for celiac? if so, the protocol for that disease is _very_ strict. simply not eating it isn't always enough. i have been tested and am not a celiac but can't process gluten. just a thought.

hth. let me know if i can be of further assitance.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#288200 - 10/27/06 05:33 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Is he eliminating ALL yeast products? Can be found in soups, sauces, breads, crackers, etc. Check all labels to be sure. I cannot tolerate yeast and get bad cramps/diahrrea if I eat it. Just a thought...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review