All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
multi vitamin
      #28791 - 11/24/03 06:35 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Anyone have a particular multi vitamin that they would recommend? I use Centrum, but wondered if anyone liked something better.
Thanks,
Joan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't use multivitamins.... new
      #28803 - 11/24/03 07:17 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

because I eat a lot of fortified stuff, such as bread, luna bars, soy milk, etc. i do take a vit b complex, l-glutamine, and cal-mag nightly for the pooping.

also, keep trying to get your vitamins through your food (fruits, veggies, whole grains -- whatever you can safely eat). we pee out most of what we take in pill for or store it as fat (vit. k, d). however, taking them with a meal is helpful.

also, the sun provides vitamins, and adequate sleep and low stress levels, and positve relationships contribute to overall good health a lot more than many are aware. (researched based)

if you must take a multi-vit, i think the gummy bear vitamins look appealing... wouldn't hurt to get vitamins in candy form, haha. don't know if they are "safe" or not, though.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: I don't use multivitamins.... new
      #28850 - 11/25/03 03:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I just take my supermarket's own brand multi-vitamin, but I don't know about over there. I'm IBS-d so I find it really hard to eat enough fruit, veg and wholegrains, which is why I take the pill. Plus, I know my body doesn't digest veg properly, cos (sorry to be gross!) sometimes it comes out whole the other end!

Take the pill if you feel you need it. I like the sound of the candy tho!

Re: multi vitamin new
      #28869 - 11/25/03 07:21 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Everyone has different reaction to vitamins/minerals. If your IBS D prone a vitamin/minerals would be beneficial to you, as to anyone. If you have problems with menstrual it can be even more beneficial and help regulate hormones as well as b complex vitamins. Centrum is recommended by most Docs, I use Rexall/sundown multivitamin with minerals. If you have sensitive tummy ask you Doc about vitamins that are coated to ease digestion, he/she may have a suggestion. Also most docs only recommend just a plain daily multiply if your eating properly.

#28871 - 11/25/03 07:27 AM
Laurel

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I use "solaray" "once daily-high energy". I get it at Whole Foods. I also take one Betaine HCL and Zyme-Aid tablet with every meal to help with digestion, and 2 acidophilus pills 2 hours after my meals to help with friendly bacteria.

Hope this helps!
Laurel

#28874 - 11/25/03 07:37 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Whatever vitamin you use - try an easy test. A lot of them end up not doing any good because they go right through you. So take one and put it in a glass of water and see how fast it dissolves. Some of them stay almost whole for a long time -- so they won't get absorbed by your body very well either.

#28985 - 11/25/03 03:05 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Do you really think that would work? Wouldn't the acids in your stomach dissolve them more? lol I dunno, I was j/w!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#29017 - 11/25/03 08:22 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Well - water is an acid as well -- not as strong as your tummy acid maybe - but still an acid. I'm just repeating what the nutritionist told me. In order to get see if it will break down in time for our bodies to absorb the nutrients (especially those of us with IBS and tend towards D) we need to make sure they will dissolve quickly enough for our intestines to absorb the nutrients.

I'm not a nutritionist -- and it could be that they are taking into account the difference between the water and the tummy acids already. If I remember correctly she told me that the vitamins should be dissolved in the water in under 1 hour in order to be useful to our bodies.

I thought it was silly and told a friend of mine about it and she said she had heard the same thing -- and how they some people "pass" vitamins nearly whole. I tested my vitamins and some did better than others.... It can't hurt to choose those that dissolve faster...

#29020 - 11/25/03 08:58 PM
emmie's mom

Reged: 05/03/03

Hi! I just switched my 15 year old daughter from the drugstore brand of adult multivitamins + iron to...Flintstones multivitamins + iron. She gets half a tablet at breakfast (chewed) and the remainder at supper. The chewing should help with delivery of the supplements. I was concerned that the amount of iron in the adult doses and a general unintentional overdosing on some of the vitamins through fortified foods was contributing to her IBS symptoms--mostly IBS-C, but this last bout with constipation was preceded by a day of massive diarrhea. I had started her on the adult multivitamin several days before, and she had too much fruit the night before. I have read that too much vitamin C can cause diarrhea in some people, and too much iron can cause constipation in others. When we revert back to the most basic components of the IBS diet until things get stable, (rice, bananas, etc.)we do worry a little about deficiencies in vitamins, iron and calcium.

#29059 - 11/26/03 08:19 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Another thougt and please if any want's to add to this comment. I believe you can take a regular multiple, which has the basic vitamins, then there's a supplement called
cal/mag/zinc, I believe it has the 2 to 1 ratio Heather talks about in her book that can regulate bowel. You could take your reg vitamin in the morning and take supplement later in the day so the calcuim would not absorb the iron from the multiple. just a thought to ponder and if anyone else has heard of the vitamin supplement and tried it?

#29062 - 11/26/03 08:25 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I was just getting ready to mention this, sherr1. Don't take your multivitamin at the same time as your calcium since the iron and calcium mess up each other's absorption. Since most of can't drink milk we are proably all taking calcium so need to be aware of this. Also don't take anymore than 500 mg. of calcium at a time since your body can't absorb more than that in a sitting (doc's advice). Split the 600 mg. in half. If you are prone to diarrhea take Caltrate (which constipates), if you are prone to constipation take Citrate (has magnesium and tends to loosen things up). So, basically you've got four half calcium pill, and one multivitamin to spread out and take at least two hours apart from each other throughout each day.

I feel I definitely need a multivitamin since I have discovered I can't eat near the amount of raw fruit and vegetables or whole grains that I feel are necessary for good health.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review