All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
problems with Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate
      #287843 - 10/25/06 08:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

For all the people who take this supplement, have you noticed that it makes the stool "messy"? Very long, incomplete, messy BMS? No substance or bulk? It is so messy.

I thought this was going to be helpful, but it is so messy and incomplete.

I have heard that the citrate form can do this, but that the oxide form doesn't...but I can't seem to find the oxide in a powder form.

Anyone who can share feedback on your experiences or solution? I feel so dirty at work.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: problems with Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate new
      #287875 - 10/25/06 11:13 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I've noticed that too. For some reason, though, right now I don't have that problem (like since yesterday and the day before that... both days when I had no time to drink a smoothie in the evening, so I had less IF). Are you sure your dose isn't too much?

Btw, you can use wet wipes to clean yourself when far from the shower. I do that, because of the messiness.

#287899 - 10/25/06 01:18 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

that means you either need to step down the dose and or add more bulking fiber to your diet, it just makes you go, it doesn't form your stools, if there is no bulk in thr diet there won't be nay in the stool, the oxide you can just take in a tablet since it ios not ionized, the only reason the NC is in powder is to make it dissolve and ionize in the water, there is no reason that you need oxide in powder form. You can also try gluconate or aspartate. I was taking magnesium.potassium aspartates and it helped with my C, but also gave me a good energy boost.

Bulk new
      #287938 - 10/25/06 06:22 PM
Jordy

Probably a dumb question, but how would one get more bulk? What are good foods for bulk? Or would it mean more SFS?

--------------------

#287939 - 10/25/06 06:23 PM
Jordy

Well, when I took 1/2 tsp, I didn't go at all. At one teaspoon, this is what I get!

How much do you take?

--------------------

Re: Bulk new
      #287941 - 10/25/06 06:37 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

As a D I can say I never had nice formed BMs until I got up to about 2 TBSP of acacia per day, plus SF with every meal. I don't know if this is the same as for someone with C taking Natural Calm though.

--------------------
Kat

#287960 - 10/26/06 12:55 AM
Jeio

No idea as I still don't take Natural Calm but a generic citrate in liquid form... but I did reduce my dose yesterday, we'll see how it goes... My dose is (now) something like 3.5 g magnesium citrate (pure) and 580 mg of magnesium (that's two fl oz, I was taking 2.5 for the last couple of days...)

Try 3/4 tsp?

--J

#287974 - 10/26/06 06:39 AM
Jordy

That's exactly what I was going to do. I only took 1/2 tsp last night....and can already tell it's going to be a struggle to go today.

--------------------

#287975 - 10/26/06 06:42 AM
Jordy

I wonder too...if a C would increase bulk by adding more Acacia and SF or more Acacia and more IF? Or what? I'm afraid if I add too much SF and SFS, I'll constipate myself...but then I know IF would make it even looser.

--------------------

#287980 - 10/26/06 06:52 AM
K2

How much total fiber are you getting per day?

From Heather's FAQ:
"The USDA recommended minimum fiber intake for adults is 25 to 35 grams daily, and soluble fiber should account for one third to one half of this total amount."

This is a minimum, you can go to 60 grams safely. Note this is from both food and SFS.

--------------------
Kat

#287981 - 10/26/06 07:21 AM
Jeio

You add more IF to make you go and add more acacia to be able to tolerate it, basically. That's how I understand it...

#288053 - 10/26/06 01:23 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yeah, I have to admit,it can be messy sometimes. But I guess I figure that a little messiness is better than that awful C feeling!! I'd much rather have the messiness! I probably need to decrease my NC dose, but part of me is afraid to; I'm afraid I won't be able to go if I decrease! Quite a conundrum...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#288128 - 10/27/06 05:56 AM
chergui

Reged: 10/05/06
Loc: Mobile, AL

What is the dosage of Mg in this product? I've been taking 200mg of Magnesium Asporotate twice a day with my 600mg of Calcium (twice a day) for 5 years now. I've not had the problems you are speaking of. I did try a calcium supplement from the health food store that had Mg. Citrate in it. Now that did cause D, cramping, and a feeling of an incomplete movement. Maybe Mg Asporotate is different. I buy a brand called Solaray. Elaine

#288131 - 10/27/06 06:08 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i love the asporotate kind, it helped with my energy levels so much and did not cause any bowel issues, it definetly effects the body differently.

#288154 - 10/27/06 10:41 AM

Unregistered

I take natural calm, can't remember which, its blue, plain, the origional one. It says for advanced use use 3teaspons a day or something like that. Well a lot i find myself taking 3 teaspons a day. My stuff is soft even without anything sometimes, once in a while i get rock hard though. One time I took either 2 or 3 teaspons and i got some D. Yea, i have a big prob with no bulking up..I drank one beer yesterday and son after I was running to the bathroom having some good bm's...seems to happen when I have one.

#288160 - 10/27/06 11:33 AM
Jordy

Yep, I remember your totally inappropriate posts the night you "got drunk".

--------------------

#288274 - 10/28/06 01:20 PM

Unregistered

yea ok, I was wondering why. Is beer like a laxative or what is it, in it that makes me go a bunch?

Are you doing anything to "bulk" it up?-nt new
      #288294 - 10/28/06 06:13 PM
Jordy

--------------------

#288296 - 10/28/06 06:18 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Heather notes that alcohol is terribly irritating to the intestines:

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#alcohol

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#288299 - 10/28/06 06:37 PM
Jordy

What were they like before 2 T Acacia? Did you see an improvement as you gradually went up? Or did it "just click" when you hit 2 T?

Thanks

--------------------

But which makes the stool firmer? new
      #288300 - 10/28/06 06:48 PM
Jordy

SF I presume. But the IF would help stop it from being so incomplete?

--------------------

#288314 - 10/29/06 07:22 AM
K2

Loose D before, and not as complete. It wasn't necessarily a 'click' moment, but over time I just noticed it got better and better.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Are you doing anything to "bulk" it up? new
      #288445 - 10/30/06 10:44 AM
Lisa Marie

I'm not sure how to do this! Eat MORE SF? That doesn't make sense. I think what I really need to do is decrease my dose...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#288454 - 10/30/06 11:48 AM
Jordy

So, you don't think eating more SF would bulk it up? Maybe it would constipate us if we don't increase IF too, then???

If you find anything that helps, please post!

Does it get "firmer" as you increase your acacia? How much are you up to now? Still happy with it?

--------------------

#288488 - 10/30/06 05:04 PM
Lisa Marie

I'm up to almost 3 teaspoons per day. Very little gas and bloating anymore, which is great!! BMs are still a little loose and messy, but I know that's due to the NC. I think once I reduce that more, it will help. I'm going to try only taking 2 teaspoons of NC tonight and see what happens in the morning!

I just don't think I could eat MORE each day than I already do! If I ate more SF, I'd have to decrease IF so as to not increase my calorie intake. I'd much rather just decrease the NC and see if that helps.

How are you doing?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#288583 - 10/31/06 03:22 PM
Lisa Marie

Sure enough, I decreased to just 2 teaspoons of natural calm last night and this morning's BM was noticeably bulkier. I think I'll stay at this level for awhile - especially since I had to break down and take ibuprofen today! that stuff always gives me C...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Looks like your on the right path new
      #288644 - 11/01/06 06:56 AM
Jordy

I stopped the Natural Calm altogether. Yesterday, I did well...today, not so good, I can tell. I am still taking Miralax. I think I do better with Miralax than the Natural Calm. I've also reduced my Acacia a few grams. Maybe my body just can't handle too much SFS without getting more constipate.

This is so hard to balance everything out.

--------------------

Re: Looks like your on the right path new
      #288661 - 11/01/06 11:03 AM
Jeio

OK, good, whatever works, dear

Let us know how it goes with Miralax.

Hugs
Jerry

If I only knew! new
      #288685 - 11/01/06 12:24 PM
Jordy

Seems like my opinion on these meds/supplements changes everyday...depending on how my body decides to work!

--------------------

Re: Looks like your on the right path new
      #288720 - 11/01/06 04:22 PM
Lisa Marie

I hear ya! Finding a balance is SO hard... try not to change too many things at once and keep with it! It will all work out in the end...

So what are your current symptoms?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: But which makes the stool firmer? new
      #288724 - 11/01/06 04:46 PM
Jeio

I don't know for sure, but I doubt SF makes the stool firmer. I'd think it gets firmer when most of the water gets absorbed through the walls of the large intestine. That means it should not be evacuated too early...

I think the only idea of SF is to help us tolerate foods. It mixes with them to make them more tolerable. IF is what makes for more stuff in the stool... whether it would make it firmer, I have no idea.

Re: If I only knew! new
      #288725 - 11/01/06 04:48 PM
Jeio

Yes, but that's OK. As long as you are trying to find what works,change whatever you need to.

Re: But which makes the stool firmer? new
      #288734 - 11/01/06 05:43 PM
K2

SF definetly makes the stool firmer. It absorbs water from the intestine and sticks together to form a more solid BM. From personal experience, the Acacia is what eventually made my BMs more complete and firm.

IF will help move things through quicker. Just looking at the texture of IF, it is more rough, and 'scrapes' the colon clean.

I think both will add bulk.

--------------------
Kat

Thanks, Kat, for the explanation -nt- new
      #288753 - 11/02/06 03:40 AM
Jeio

Natural Calm new
      #289216 - 11/07/06 07:11 AM
Jeio

Hello, Jordy,

I tried Natural Calm for 4 days and the outcomes were miserable (I had a lot of C).

What I did was -- I took as much as I was taking of the other "generic" magnesium citrate (made the dose so that the elemental magnesium would be equal), which meant 4 teaspoons. Didn't work.

Next day -- took 2 Tablespoons (6 teaspoons) -- didn't work.
Next day -- took 2 Tbsp again -- didn't work again, I was C.
Next day (I thought, OK, that's weird, but maybe it takes time to take action) again 2 tbsp (didn't increase, because I thought that was plenty anyway... didn't work.

I went back to drinking the generic stuff, I'm at a dose lower than the 4 tbsp of Natural Calm and it works (I mean, when you equate the magnesium content it's lower). Maybe I didn't do something right, maybe we shouldn't equate those two, but something else, but I don't know what. In any case though, taking more than 2 tablespoons a day would mean I would spend a whole lot of money on Natural Calm, and since this other thing seems to work, and is cheap, I am going to stick with it.

Just wanted to let you know, I am dropping Natural Calm too, for other reasons, but still.

How are you doing lately? Haven't heard from you...

Hugs
Jerry

Re: Natural Calm new
      #289239 - 11/07/06 12:12 PM
Jordy

Really? C? I think it is/was causing me to have messy, skinny stools...but I did go! All day, in fact. Never complete one....just constant pencil size ones.

Where do you get your magnesium from? Can it be purchased on line or only in Canada? You drink it?

I'm doing the same. Haven't been around because I have nothing new to report! But, I do read. Thanks for asking.

You still taking Acacia? Same amount? I stopped that too. I'm so mixed up ....I don't know what to take to help and what is actually hurting. I'm taking some benefiber and Miralax...and this isn't the answer either.

--------------------

Jordy - don't get so frustrated!! new
      #289258 - 11/07/06 03:00 PM
Lisa Marie

It will work itself out! So, you've stopped the acacia and the NC, right? Are you C or D now? It sounds like the NC was working for you, so why did you stop taking it?

Can you give a quick run down on the various things you've tried and whether or not you think they worked?? We'll come up with something...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Natural Calm new
      #289261 - 11/07/06 03:20 PM
Jeio

Yes, I was C taking 2 tablespoons of it... Pretty weird huh?

I take the magnesium from a duane reade pharmacy, but I've also seen it in CVS's. It must be sold in Canada, can you ask your pharmacist about it? It's just called magnesium citrate. I was taking 2 fluid ounces (it's in fluid form).

Yes, I am taking Acacia, same amount, seems to work. I think I am stable! I just had my period and was OK (surprise!). I am so thankful to Heather and this message board for all the information! Btw, Jordy, I also think rice milk causes C. It is considered a remedy for D in my homeland, so maybe we should be careful with that (but since I hate soymilk, plus it's soy, and almond milk has the extra smell, I don't think I have much of a choice).

Are you feeling good taking Benefiber and Miralax? That's the main question, the solutions could be different for different people, but as long as they work...

Sort of new
      #289381 - 11/08/06 12:43 PM
Jordy

I did stop the Acacia...but I'm taking old version of benefiber and Fibersmart now. I still take 1/2-3/4 dose of Miralax.....and NC when absolutely desperate....and even then, just 1 tsp max. Oh, and triphala and a cal/mag 2:1.....and 1 T flaxmeal.

I'm sort of C. I still have incomplete, messy, thin stools. I was hoping if I stopped the NC it would help with those problems. And the pain seems to be worse too. I have needed the heating pad more for the past few days.

I've tried all of the above, plus all other SFS I think they sell. I've tried a low fiber diet...zelnorm, full dose of Miralax. I haven't been happy with any of them, I don't think. Thanks for wanting to help. You gals/guys are the greatest!

--------------------

Re: Sort of new
      #289411 - 11/08/06 06:15 PM
Jeio

Oh, Jordy, 1 T of flaxmeal :-S That sounds so scary. I can hardly tolerate 1 teaspoon, and with lots of SF, let alone 1 tablespoon (yes, I do tolerate other tipes of IF OK, but this particular type seems to bother me). Is it possible that that is causing the pain? Since you are taking Miralax, do you need that to make you go?

Sorry to interrupt your conversation.

--J

Re: Sort of new
      #289458 - 11/09/06 08:41 AM
Lisa Marie

Hmmm.... maybe you're just trying to many things at one time?? Sounds like you are using a lot of things, and perhaps they are not interacting well or something. One other thing I can suggest is a GOOD probiotic to help boost you up and get you back on track. That was the absolute key to getting me feeling better! Try the dairy-free Bio-K bottles for a week, and see how you feel. That should definitely help with your loose stools. Start with 1/3 bottle a day for three days then increase to 1/2 bottle/day. I've bought it at places like Wild Oats and Whole Foods.

I'm not sure what the Miralax and triphala are doing... would you be willing to give them a rest and sort of "start over" by adding one new thing at a time?

Have you tried the hypno? I think that might really help with your anxiety about all of this. I'm on day 80, and I've noticed a HUGE difference!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Flax new
      #289492 - 11/09/06 12:11 PM
Jordy

Really? I have been adding the flax to my morning cereal for like years. I didn't think it would be a problem as I have read so many things on IBS that promotes flax and says it's a mucilous, soothing supplement. I don't know. Plus, it's so good for you.

What, exactly, does flax do to you?
I also started taking fibersmart SFS which contains flax! I'm honestly afraid to stop anything that is natural and suppose to help. I am so confused.

--------------------

Lisa Marie new
      #289494 - 11/09/06 12:21 PM
Jordy

What exactly do you take...med/supplement wise?

I am afraid to stop the Miralax and triphala because if I just reduce my dose, I don't seem to go. Maybe once I'm on a higher SFS dose? I don't know.

I bought some of the Bio-K the other day! But I'm afraid of soy...I don't do so well with soy.

Do you take a probiotic now?

I have not tried the hypno yet. Sounds like a good idea, though.

--------------------

Where is your homeland? new
      #289533 - 11/09/06 05:57 PM
Jordy

Rice milk is brown rice...so that wouldn't constipate you would it? Maybe the D remedy meant for homemade rice milk made with white rice.

--------------------

Re: Where is your homeland? new
      #289568 - 11/09/06 08:03 PM
Jeio

It is made of brown rice, but how much of the hull gets into the milk? I doubt much...

Homeland is in Southern Europe

I stopped having rice milk and I my C is better (I need less magnesium... even forgot to take it yesterday and went twice today) Maybe it's in my head, maybe it's just me, I don't know, but I didn't like rice milk much so I just decided, OK, I can stop with that hope I will find a dairy substitute that tastes good.

Re: Flax new
      #289570 - 11/09/06 08:06 PM
Jeio

I think flax is IF. They recommend it for making us go. I don't know where you read it was soothing, I find it just the opposite (and I think I read about this somewhere, but I don't have the time to look for it, sorry)

I wouldn't take it with the morning cereal, what I do is sometimes I add it to my evening smoothie (when I have time to make it) and I can't do more than 1 teaspoon...

Re: Lisa Marie new
      #289689 - 11/10/06 06:53 PM
Lisa Marie

what do i take.....
Morning: acacia, multi-vitamin, Effexor, probiotic
Lunch: acacia, probiotic, digestive enzyme
Afternoon snack: Effexor, calcium supplement
Dinner: probiotic, digestive enzyme, acacia, natural calm

Wow... sounds like a lot when I write it all down. But at least the only "drug" on my list is the Effexor!! Yay!

Don't be afraid of the soy. Before I did the Bio-K, I used to get really gassy and bloated from soy. But the Bio-K, as well as the soy yogurt I mixed it in, didn't bother me at all! Not sure why. Maybe the presence of all the good bacteria cancels out the negative affect of the soy? Who knows, but do give it a shot!

Yes, I am taking a multidophilus probiotic. I think that works better than just plain acidophilus. I can't remember the name of the other bacteria it has in it...

DEFINITELY try the hypno! I think it will help with your anxiety a lot. It has certainly helped me in that area. Hop on over to the hypno board and read some posts!

Good luck, Jordy! I'm going to keep checking up on you till you start feeling better.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#290898 - 11/21/06 06:09 PM
Jordy

Did you remember the name of the probiotic you switched too? How long and how much Bio-K were you on? What symptoms did it help?

--------------------

#290955 - 11/22/06 10:00 AM
Lisa Marie

I started the Bio-K initially because I was on an antibiotic and it gave me horrible D. Bio-K completely fixed that, and got rid of my gas and bloating too! I started with 1/3 bottle for a few days, then increased to 1/2 bottle for a few days. After ~10 days of Bio-K I switched to Solaray's multidophilus probiotic. Like you've mentioned before, I'm not really sure if it's helping or not! I should probably stop taking it for awhile and see if I notice a difference.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21825

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review