All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: opinions about fiber supplements new
      #287817 - 10/25/06 06:02 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I wasn't planning on it, since the 2 teaspoons seems to be doing the trick, even though I know it's a lot less than most people take. It's pretty typical for me to respond well to the minimum dosage of just about any supplement or medication.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gracie, why did you switch? new
      #287826 - 10/25/06 06:43 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...if the FiberSmart and flax were working? Just curious as to how/why people choose their SFS! It's obvious if it creates bad problems...but way when it doesn't?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I wonder.... new
      #287827 - 10/25/06 06:45 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...if A or D people require less amount than C? Anyone know? Is there any C people who are stable on a low dose? And how do you know when it's time to stop increasing....or actually decrease? How do you know if you went too far if you never became stable on a dose?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I wonder.... very curious too...can anyone answer this new
      #287852 - 10/25/06 09:21 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I have been saying that I am IBS-D b/c that is pretty much the dominating problem, but now I'm kind of thinking that I'm IBS-A...maybe the diet/Acacia is changing me? I am not sure either whether I should increase my Acacia amount. I am taking 3/4 tsp three times/day along with probiotic and digestive enzymes. I wouldn't say I'm "stable"..I am juggling towards both extremes as I play around with the SF and IF. But in the meantime, I'm thinking that I should just keep the Acacia amount the same...or does someone think that I should go up. I had a few days of C so I'm trying to drink a lot of water and add IF...pretty successful so maybe that's it? I don't know...my tummy still feels a bit vulnerable to add too much IF for fear of d but I am trying cautiously. Please respond to the previous post as to whether anyone else stablized on a small dose, whether you are d,c, or a, and also if possible, please list a sample menu of what you eat in a day. Thanks!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: I wonder.... very curious too...can anyone answer this
      #287860 - 10/25/06 09:44 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I am IBS-D and I stabilized pretty much at 2 tbsp (12 grams) of Acacia per day. However I am incresing this to 3 tbsp per day.

Do D's require less of a dose to stabilize? It depends. I find it very hard to eat lots of veggies and fruit without feeling some symptoms. So do I not eat these? Of course not, they are very healthy necessary foods. So in order to be stable and eat lots of veggies, I definetly need more SFS.

Line415: You are wondering if maybe it is IBS-A you have? I just wanted to ask, do you only get C when you use Imodium?

A sample day of food for me:
oatmeal with strawberries + acacia
water

oatmeal raisin muffin
water

turkey, lettuce, mayo on white

chicken,rice,carrots,broccoli soup
chocolate soy milk

applesauce

rice, chicken, shrimp, veggies (dinner)
water

soy ice cream or lays chips for evening snack
peppermint or ginger tea

--------------------
Kat

reply to K2
      #287864 - 10/25/06 10:08 AM
line415

Thanks for your sample list. In regards to the IBS-A, before Heather I would have maybe two days of normal BMS, a day or two with no BMS, and bad d attacks two or three times a week...of course it depended ...stress played a factor too, plus, yes, I would take the immodium and then that would give me c for a few days. So in short, I don't know. With IBS-D, would that mean I would have an attack every single day? There were times when it was happening every other day so that's why I consider myself D. Now with the diet, I am eating something like this as a sample day:

AM: soyfee with 3/4 tsp Acacia
oatmeal (now with a few blueberries) and/or 1-2 ounces of oj
Or a SF cereal with soy milk and oj

Lunch: turkey, "fake" cheese, 1 or 2 slices of tomato on white/french bread...little mayo or mustard instead, Acacia

OR: blueberry/banana smoothie with white roll and smart balance

Dinner: Rice or pasta (just switched to brown rice the last 2 days and it didn't give me d), broccoli, carrots, or small, basic salad (much smaller than I used to have), and chicken or fish, maybe a white roll , Acacia

Snacks: pretty much only IBS safe (graham crackers, etc.)
Water and Soyfee are my only drinks (except for the oj...I had reflux so I only drink a little...I can't handle tomato sauce too well either)

A few times I tried a ww roll and once a multi-grain eng. muffin instead of white bread, but this diet is so new to me that I'm not sure what's effecting what. Do you think I need to add more IF? Believe me, I ate quite a bit of broccoli last night with the brown rice and fish and had a normal BM this morning (but no IF at breakfast except oj b/c mornings are usually tough). Now I'm going to do IF for lunch. Maybe the Acacia amount is okay? Should I try a sandwhich on whole grain instead of white or would I need to up my acacia to handle that sort of thing? I like your idea of mixing IF and SF like in regular pasta and whole wheat pasta. I think I'm going to do that for my kids too. I told my husband I'm going to eat a sandwich with one slice of each kind of bread so it will be colorful! Please let me know what you think. My bm schedule is erratic right now...sometimes once/day, sometimes none, sometimes none for two days, sometimes twice/day. (And no...I haven't taken immodium in 9 days )

--------------------

Re: I wonder....
      #287880 - 10/25/06 11:19 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I don't know if I can consider myself stable, I haven't had any pain/gas/bloating in awhile (i mean bad pain, like when I have to be in fetal position), so I consider myself stable. I am IBS-C and take 3 teaspoons of Acacia (= 1 tablespoon)

Re: reply to K2
      #287914 - 10/25/06 03:25 PM
K2

You're probably an A if you're having that much variation, so I hope my advice is still ok.

You seem to be doing a good job incorporating IF into every meal. I never do whole-wheat only, if I mix pasta or rice I'll do 2/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat or something like that. It depends how much you can handle personally. Adding tomato, lettuce, stuff like that on a sandwich is good, and mixing berries in oatmeal and smoothies.

Some things I notice that may be giving you trouble (they would for me anyway) are: OJ, fake cheese and salad. I know you probably have them in small amounts and if you do fine with them then thats good. Fake cheese is high in fat and oil, so I only use it when I'm craving it. Salad is too much raw IF for me, and salad dressing too much oil.

Keep increasing your dose of Acacia slowly. And for the days when you have C, I suggest exercise and lots of water. It can be tricky as an A to plan a diet for the days when you have C, but don't want to cause another bout of D. But exercise and water can help a lot. If I'm C from too much Imodium, I do situps or go for a short high-paced run/elliptical to get things moving. Days when I'm more D-feeling, I'll do a lighter paced workout, and weights.

--------------------
Kat

#287930 - 10/25/06 05:34 PM
line415

Thank you. Your info makes sense. The odd thing is that after I posted today, I had like 4-5 bms but not d. Pretty much normal, maybe feeling about 20% incomplete. It seems like my body was tring to catch up from not going the past two days (I'm guessing...but still I'm not sure...it could have been something I ate like you mentioned). Do you think eating about a 1/4 of an orange would be better than the juice? Where do you get your vitamin C? And would you consider the tofutti better than cream cheese the same risk as fake cheese? I just discovered it and really like it, but maybe that's why I went a lot today? (had some on a plain bagel with a smoothie and acacia at lunch) I am definitely going to try the sit-up idea...I could always use some work on my abs anyway! I know it takes time, I just wish I knew how to get the correct balance for 1 or 2 predictable bms/day. I am a thousand times better than before with d...the urgency has definitely lessened, but I am still in the phase of needing to be near a bathroom b/c everything is so erratic. Thanks for your advice.

--------------------

#287934 - 10/25/06 06:00 PM
K2

I eat the tofutti cream cheese all the time, it's good. The fake cheese slices and blocks tend to be more problematic, basically the ingredients used to make them act and taste like real cheese can be tough to digest.

I get my vitamin C from strawberries, blueberries, red peppers, and brocolli. Kiwis, papayas and brussel sprouts are also good sources. In fact most of these sources have more vitamin C than oranges. Papayas are the safest of this list (SF).

I eat strawberry applesauce everyday (Motts), and usually cook red peppers or brocolli with lunch or dinner. If I have frozen berries in the freezer I'll put some in my oatmeal.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review