All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
opinions about fiber supplements
      #287731 - 10/24/06 01:24 PM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Hi everyone, I am brand new to these message boards, but not new to IBS. I'm 25 and have been struggling with IBS for as long as I can remember, only it has gotten much worse in the last year. I am taking metamucil and I am curious about other supplements. I read the information about supplements on the webpage, but I wanted to get some opinions. Does anyone here take Fibercon? How has it worked for you? Since I struggle with gas and bloating I am thinking about switching to something else, but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks
TJ

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: opinions about fiber supplements new
      #287739 - 10/24/06 02:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you're IBS-D, Metamucil is a bad idea because it contains both Soluble Fiber and Insoluble Fiber - IBS-Ds should really be taking an SFS with just Soluble Fiber.

I'm IBS-D and I take Acacia. You don't say whether you're on Heather's EFI Diet, but I found that was crucial to my getting stable.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287749 - 10/24/06 03:23 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Acacia all the way. I take a rounded teaspoon with every meal! I used to be IBS-D...then went to C, now I'm okay! Really, no bloating, gas or pain. Work up slowly...then use as needed. Remember to dissolve it completely (or almost) and drink water throughout the day...there IS nothing at your drugstore that is like Acacia.

#287767 - 10/24/06 05:44 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm relatively new too and at first I didn't want to order the Acacia b/c I was generally scared of fiber anyway, being IBS-D. Now I take Acacia and so far so good (just learning how to incorporate the diet for maximum results), but if you want to explore the website more and try a drug store brand, I would recommend Fibercon. I took it for a week or so and I could see a bit of a difference.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#287768 - 10/24/06 06:08 PM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Is there such a thing as IBS-C AND D? I fluctuate between the 2, sometimes going days constipated and then playing "catch up" later. So I am not sure which fiber supplement is best for me.

I just found this website and just ordered Heather's IBS diet book, so I am not following the diet yet, but I intend to. I am really glad I found this site!

#287775 - 10/24/06 06:52 PM
line415

Yes, when you are IBS-D and C, that is called IBS-A which stands for Alternating bouts of constipation and diareah. Some people are IBS-A but lean towards either D or C as their predominant problem. Definitely get Heather's book and devour the info on this site as much as you can (not just the message boards...go to the home page and read through all the FAQs, info. on soluble/insoluble fiber, and so on.) No matter which IBS you are, help is here...you will just need to note how Ds and Cs follow the diet and use supplements slightly differently.

--------------------

#287790 - 10/24/06 07:34 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I like Benefiber because it dissolves so well in hot liquid as well as cold. but I hear they have changed the formula and I have not tried the new one yet. Acacia lumped in hot liquid when I used it. My GI recommends Citrucel. I am also an A and it can be very frustrating. If I take imodium when having a bad bout of diarrhea, I am stopped up for several days. If D isn't bad, I like pepto bismal. Also great for nausea. Anyway with being A you have to alter the diet somewhat depending upon which phase you're in - less IF during D, more during C. But at least we aren't dull as we are so unpredictable. Heehee.

#287796 - 10/24/06 07:47 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm IBS-A and I've found fiber really good for keeping me happily in the middle. I started out taking Benefiber, and it worked well. But it was expensive, so when I heard they were changing the formula, I switched to Acacia. I think the Acacia is working even better, and I'm only taking about 2 teaspoons a day.
I've also been doing extremely well on the EFI diet, although I'm still getting the hang of making adjustments when ever I start leaning to one side or the other.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#287800 - 10/24/06 08:25 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've been taking the acacia for about 2 weeks now and so far so good. Previously I was taking FibreSmart, and sometimes plain ground flax. I've done fine with each of them.

#287801 - 10/24/06 08:26 PM
Gracie

Are you going to increase your acacia dose?

#287817 - 10/25/06 06:02 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I wasn't planning on it, since the 2 teaspoons seems to be doing the trick, even though I know it's a lot less than most people take. It's pretty typical for me to respond well to the minimum dosage of just about any supplement or medication.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Gracie, why did you switch? new
      #287826 - 10/25/06 06:43 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...if the FiberSmart and flax were working? Just curious as to how/why people choose their SFS! It's obvious if it creates bad problems...but way when it doesn't?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I wonder.... new
      #287827 - 10/25/06 06:45 AM
Jordy

...if A or D people require less amount than C? Anyone know? Is there any C people who are stable on a low dose? And how do you know when it's time to stop increasing....or actually decrease? How do you know if you went too far if you never became stable on a dose?

--------------------

Re: I wonder.... very curious too...can anyone answer this new
      #287852 - 10/25/06 09:21 AM
line415

I have been saying that I am IBS-D b/c that is pretty much the dominating problem, but now I'm kind of thinking that I'm IBS-A...maybe the diet/Acacia is changing me? I am not sure either whether I should increase my Acacia amount. I am taking 3/4 tsp three times/day along with probiotic and digestive enzymes. I wouldn't say I'm "stable"..I am juggling towards both extremes as I play around with the SF and IF. But in the meantime, I'm thinking that I should just keep the Acacia amount the same...or does someone think that I should go up. I had a few days of C so I'm trying to drink a lot of water and add IF...pretty successful so maybe that's it? I don't know...my tummy still feels a bit vulnerable to add too much IF for fear of d but I am trying cautiously. Please respond to the previous post as to whether anyone else stablized on a small dose, whether you are d,c, or a, and also if possible, please list a sample menu of what you eat in a day. Thanks!!!

--------------------

Re: I wonder.... very curious too...can anyone answer this new
      #287860 - 10/25/06 09:44 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I am IBS-D and I stabilized pretty much at 2 tbsp (12 grams) of Acacia per day. However I am incresing this to 3 tbsp per day.

Do D's require less of a dose to stabilize? It depends. I find it very hard to eat lots of veggies and fruit without feeling some symptoms. So do I not eat these? Of course not, they are very healthy necessary foods. So in order to be stable and eat lots of veggies, I definetly need more SFS.

Line415: You are wondering if maybe it is IBS-A you have? I just wanted to ask, do you only get C when you use Imodium?

A sample day of food for me:
oatmeal with strawberries + acacia
water

oatmeal raisin muffin
water

turkey, lettuce, mayo on white

chicken,rice,carrots,broccoli soup
chocolate soy milk

applesauce

rice, chicken, shrimp, veggies (dinner)
water

soy ice cream or lays chips for evening snack
peppermint or ginger tea

--------------------
Kat

reply to K2 new
      #287864 - 10/25/06 10:08 AM
line415

Thanks for your sample list. In regards to the IBS-A, before Heather I would have maybe two days of normal BMS, a day or two with no BMS, and bad d attacks two or three times a week...of course it depended ...stress played a factor too, plus, yes, I would take the immodium and then that would give me c for a few days. So in short, I don't know. With IBS-D, would that mean I would have an attack every single day? There were times when it was happening every other day so that's why I consider myself D. Now with the diet, I am eating something like this as a sample day:

AM: soyfee with 3/4 tsp Acacia
oatmeal (now with a few blueberries) and/or 1-2 ounces of oj
Or a SF cereal with soy milk and oj

Lunch: turkey, "fake" cheese, 1 or 2 slices of tomato on white/french bread...little mayo or mustard instead, Acacia

OR: blueberry/banana smoothie with white roll and smart balance

Dinner: Rice or pasta (just switched to brown rice the last 2 days and it didn't give me d), broccoli, carrots, or small, basic salad (much smaller than I used to have), and chicken or fish, maybe a white roll , Acacia

Snacks: pretty much only IBS safe (graham crackers, etc.)
Water and Soyfee are my only drinks (except for the oj...I had reflux so I only drink a little...I can't handle tomato sauce too well either)

A few times I tried a ww roll and once a multi-grain eng. muffin instead of white bread, but this diet is so new to me that I'm not sure what's effecting what. Do you think I need to add more IF? Believe me, I ate quite a bit of broccoli last night with the brown rice and fish and had a normal BM this morning (but no IF at breakfast except oj b/c mornings are usually tough). Now I'm going to do IF for lunch. Maybe the Acacia amount is okay? Should I try a sandwhich on whole grain instead of white or would I need to up my acacia to handle that sort of thing? I like your idea of mixing IF and SF like in regular pasta and whole wheat pasta. I think I'm going to do that for my kids too. I told my husband I'm going to eat a sandwich with one slice of each kind of bread so it will be colorful! Please let me know what you think. My bm schedule is erratic right now...sometimes once/day, sometimes none, sometimes none for two days, sometimes twice/day. (And no...I haven't taken immodium in 9 days )

--------------------

Re: I wonder.... new
      #287880 - 10/25/06 11:19 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I don't know if I can consider myself stable, I haven't had any pain/gas/bloating in awhile (i mean bad pain, like when I have to be in fetal position), so I consider myself stable. I am IBS-C and take 3 teaspoons of Acacia (= 1 tablespoon)

Re: reply to K2 new
      #287914 - 10/25/06 03:25 PM
K2

You're probably an A if you're having that much variation, so I hope my advice is still ok.

You seem to be doing a good job incorporating IF into every meal. I never do whole-wheat only, if I mix pasta or rice I'll do 2/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat or something like that. It depends how much you can handle personally. Adding tomato, lettuce, stuff like that on a sandwich is good, and mixing berries in oatmeal and smoothies.

Some things I notice that may be giving you trouble (they would for me anyway) are: OJ, fake cheese and salad. I know you probably have them in small amounts and if you do fine with them then thats good. Fake cheese is high in fat and oil, so I only use it when I'm craving it. Salad is too much raw IF for me, and salad dressing too much oil.

Keep increasing your dose of Acacia slowly. And for the days when you have C, I suggest exercise and lots of water. It can be tricky as an A to plan a diet for the days when you have C, but don't want to cause another bout of D. But exercise and water can help a lot. If I'm C from too much Imodium, I do situps or go for a short high-paced run/elliptical to get things moving. Days when I'm more D-feeling, I'll do a lighter paced workout, and weights.

--------------------
Kat

#287930 - 10/25/06 05:34 PM
line415

Thank you. Your info makes sense. The odd thing is that after I posted today, I had like 4-5 bms but not d. Pretty much normal, maybe feeling about 20% incomplete. It seems like my body was tring to catch up from not going the past two days (I'm guessing...but still I'm not sure...it could have been something I ate like you mentioned). Do you think eating about a 1/4 of an orange would be better than the juice? Where do you get your vitamin C? And would you consider the tofutti better than cream cheese the same risk as fake cheese? I just discovered it and really like it, but maybe that's why I went a lot today? (had some on a plain bagel with a smoothie and acacia at lunch) I am definitely going to try the sit-up idea...I could always use some work on my abs anyway! I know it takes time, I just wish I knew how to get the correct balance for 1 or 2 predictable bms/day. I am a thousand times better than before with d...the urgency has definitely lessened, but I am still in the phase of needing to be near a bathroom b/c everything is so erratic. Thanks for your advice.

--------------------

#287934 - 10/25/06 06:00 PM
K2

I eat the tofutti cream cheese all the time, it's good. The fake cheese slices and blocks tend to be more problematic, basically the ingredients used to make them act and taste like real cheese can be tough to digest.

I get my vitamin C from strawberries, blueberries, red peppers, and brocolli. Kiwis, papayas and brussel sprouts are also good sources. In fact most of these sources have more vitamin C than oranges. Papayas are the safest of this list (SF).

I eat strawberry applesauce everyday (Motts), and usually cook red peppers or brocolli with lunch or dinner. If I have frozen berries in the freezer I'll put some in my oatmeal.

--------------------
Kat

Thanks...I was getting bored of blueberries! nt new
      #287935 - 10/25/06 06:03 PM
line415

--------------------

I wonder new
      #287936 - 10/25/06 06:10 PM
Jordy

I forget, do you take Natural Calm too? How's it going without Miralax?

I guess it doesn't matter what your symptoms are. Since a C person stabalized at 1 Tablespoon, but a D is at 2 T. For some reason, I thought it would be the opposite. I guess I still don't really understand how something like Acacia can help people control the D so well....then how can it possibly be good for C. I know there is an explanation on this...but I struggle with really being able to internalize this.

I don't know if I should go up or down. I felt better at a lower dose...but I have stopped Miralax for now, so that could be contributing to my change in stool habits.

--------------------

Re: Gracie, why did you switch? new
      #287948 - 10/25/06 07:54 PM
Gracie

Price wise is why i switched. I'm won't be able to tell how much or if I'm saving until I've reached my optimal level.

#287949 - 10/25/06 08:04 PM
Gracie

Have you ever tried roasted red pepper? It's great!

Re: I wonder new
      #287962 - 10/26/06 01:19 AM
Jeio

Well, not quite natural calm (i have to order some, Whole Foods doesn't carry it ), but generic magnesium sulfide. It is going really good, my gas reduced quite a bit! And i feel better too

About the SF, Heather explains, that it makes a film in the gut, that allows us to take more IF. IF is what makes us go, so D people are probably very sensitive to it and have to take SF to buffer it (make the film around it) so it doesn't make them D. Some C-ers need it a lot more, because C-ers should generally be having a lot of (more than D-ers) IF, so if you are a C-er very sensitive to IF, you take lots of SF. I am probably not as sensitive to IF thus could stabilize (if I am stable) at 1 tbsp.

Personally, I am not quite sure it's just the SF, I think it's also the starchy part that's soothing to the gut, but you can't add any starch as easily and as taste-lessly as you can add acacia

How have you been? Apart from the messy stools, have you been feelng OK? Bloating? Pain? Gas?

Thanks
Jerry, IBS-C

Re: opinions about fiber supplements What did they change?? new
      #287968 - 10/26/06 06:23 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

What did they change on the Benefiber. I heard that was the closest type of fiber as the Acacia. Each on of these fibers have different ingredients. Can someone post what each have. Benefiber, Fibercon, Metemucil, Equalactin, etc....Citrucel causes me gas.

Well, that makes sense new
      #287969 - 10/26/06 06:29 AM
Jordy

If you can tolerate both, go for the less expensive way for yourself...whichever one that turns out to be!

When you switched, did you start all over again with the "build up"? Or did you do equivalent amount of Acacia as you were taking with Acacia?

--------------------

You can find that info on Heather's site new
      #287970 - 10/26/06 06:31 AM
Jordy

...under IBS supplements. Here's a link to help you out. SFS

--------------------

#287971 - 10/26/06 06:34 AM
Jordy

Bloating, gas, pain....yep!

Thanks for your explanation! It is so hard for me to really internalize it though.

--------------------

Line415 new
      #287983 - 10/26/06 07:31 AM
Sand

Quote:

The odd thing is that after I posted today, I had like 4-5 bms but not d. Pretty much normal, maybe feeling about 20% incomplete. [snip] I am a thousand times better than before with d...the urgency has definitely lessened, but I am still in the phase of needing to be near a bathroom b/c everything is so erratic.

I went through this phase once I'd been on the EFI Diet for a short while. The horrible urgency and cramping pain lessened, but the frequency and "feeling of incomplete evacuation" hung around for a while. For me time on the Diet plus getting up to a pretty high level of Acacia got the frequency down. I think it just took time and soothing for my gut to calm down and figure out how to regulate itself again. Now if I'm diligent about sticking to the Diet and I eat on a regular schedule, my norm is once a day.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287984 - 10/26/06 07:34 AM
Jeio

Oh, I am sorry to hear that, hon. Are you taking enough acacia? Do you take it with every meal? When do you take it, btw?

I hope you start to feel better. Does taking more Natural Calm (when the stools become messy) help with the bloating and pain and gas?

Also, have you tried beano (bean-zyme is cheaper)? I ate some cauliflower the day before and I always take it when I eat beans, and I took some when I was eating cauliflower and it takes care of gas pretty well. And gas is painful for sure (at least to me), not just embarassing.

Re: Line415 new
      #288022 - 10/26/06 10:44 AM
line415

So you think I should keep increasing my Acacia then? Was your IBS-D so bad before that you had d every day? And how much Acacia do you take now? I feel the same way today...going often but not d. Of course this is a huge step forward from before, but I'm still so frustrated b/c for example I need to go somewhere today by myself with my kids and I'm sitting here deciding what to eat. It's like I want to avoid all IF before I have to go out, but then I know it's not good to squeeze it all in at night either. I think I'm going to have a smoothie with some crackers, although I still feel like I might need to go when I'm out. The other problem is that now my anxiety level is rising again b/c I know I need to be near a restroom. I was actually enjoying the "c" in a bizarre way for that reason! I'm glad to hear that you had a similar experience and then it improved.

--------------------

roasted red peppers new
      #288024 - 10/26/06 10:47 AM
line415

I love roasted red peppers but I had them in a dish a week ago and had my first horrific d attack in a month...only problem is it could have been the asparagus or oil on the pasta that did it too. Are roasted red peppers generally a good IF or do many people have problems with it? (or like everything else with this crazy disease, is it individualized?!!! ) thanks

--------------------

Re: Line415 new
      #288026 - 10/26/06 11:00 AM
Sand

Oh, yeah. I was about as D as D gets - every day, sometimes all day. You're in a little different situation since you seem to lean A but I'd still probably keep going up on the Acacia. It should help you manage more IF. And I do push my IF more toward the end of the day.

I take 7 teaspoons of Acacia per day.

As for pre-emptive anxiety, I hear you. I'm at the point now where pretty much the only thing that triggers an attack (other than eating off program, of course ) is worrying about having an attack. Put me, oh, say, on the Cross Bronx Expressway in sluggish traffic and my tummy acts up. (On the bright side, I can report there's a McDonald's on Jerome Avenue with a nice bathroom.) I started the hypno and it seemed to be helping with this then I got sidetracked and dropped it. (Okay, not too bright.) I'm going to go back to it after life settles down a little.

I hope this afternoon goes well.

Take care.

--------------------

The mind is such a powerful thing, isn't it?! NT new
      #288028 - 10/26/06 11:04 AM
line415

--------------------

Re: loooooove roasted red peppers new
      #288033 - 10/26/06 11:52 AM
K2

I used to eat roasted red pepper pizza (the last bad food before I committed to this diet) and it was heaven.

I now eat them just on their own, or in a pasta dish.

Line415: Restaurants will often cook this in a lot of oil. I don't use any oil and eat only a small amount, with lots of SF to cushion.

--------------------
Kat

thanks...I'll give the peppers another try...it might have been the oil n/t new
      #288099 - 10/26/06 05:49 PM
line415

--------------------

You are so nice! new
      #288101 - 10/26/06 06:14 PM
Jordy

I am up to 10 grams fiber of Acacia. I do take it in 3 doses-one before each meal.

Increasing the magnesium...I'm afraid to increase anymore since my stools are already so messy. I can't tell if it helps with gas/bloat. I'm always that way when constipated even a little.

Beano doesn't help me at all.

Are you satisfied or planning on increasing/decreasing either your NC (how much do you take of NC) or Acacia? I apologize if I asked you this already. I'm getting confused. How are you doing without Miralax? I'm ready to run back to it.

--------------------

Re: Well, that makes sense new
      #288113 - 10/26/06 06:59 PM
Gracie

I used to take a scoop, or 4 capsules of the FibreSmart and I wasn't sure exactly how much fibre it was so I started to build up with the acacia.

Tell me new
      #288116 - 10/26/06 08:45 PM
Jeio

Oh, poor thing...

Personally I find the pain/bloating worse on Miralax But the anxiety that I won't be able to get rid of the... stuff... was significantly less, since I knew it worked. I mean, Miralax might have worked to stabilize me (I used to not "go" and lose a pound every DAY (eating normally) and when I started taking Miralax, the weightloss stopped miraculously and I started going every day (blah, I didn't seem to have much to go, though, but anyway). Maybe it was just the right time for me to stop the Miralax, now that I was sort of stable, and not the right time for you yet? I don't know, we are trying to figure out things backwards...

Did you try taking some other digestive enzymes? I might have asked you that before, but if you pretty mich constantly are bloated/gassy/in pain, maybe you're alergic to something. Did your doc rule everything out (mine didn't)? Like, whenever I eat milk without taking digestive enzymes I get bloated and gassy (I take dairy-zyme in the rare occasions I must have yoghurt... it's a national thing, I just can't imagine life without it and dairy-zime takes care of things)

Natural calm, I ordered, waiting for it to come, until then I am taking a generic equivalent, mag citrate. I am taking 2 fl oz (or 2.5 fl oz, depending whether I had a smoothie or not) which would equal to 3.5 g (or 4.4 g) citrate (judjing from what it sais on the drug facts label).

What are you eating, dear? Did you try the break the cycle diet? Try eating predominantly rice, it's the one starchy thing that creates the least gas (all starchy things, I think, cause gas, but again, we can't really tolerate anything else), that's what I used to stabilize -- rice, rice, rice... and some oatmeal and water, but with acacia (sounds like prison, huh?). And pretsels, but I don't know, you might be alergic to wheat...

I am C right now, though... we had people over yesterday and I ate too much... I couldn't vomit (I can't do that on demand) so I guess I triggered myself Plus I have too much stress around right now. It's much less bad than before though...

Anyway, I am going to be fine. Tell me what you eat and I think before you despair, you should break the cycle (or at least try to).

Hugs and don't despair. You'll figure it out sooner or later.
Jerry

Re: Tell me new
      #288126 - 10/27/06 05:39 AM
Sand

Quote:

I am C right now, though... we had people over yesterday and I ate too much... I couldn't vomit (I can't do that on demand) so I guess I triggered myself

I don't follow this. Do you mean you *wanted* to vomit for some reason?

--------------------

#288138 - 10/27/06 07:16 AM
Jeio

Yes, I felt so nauseated (I do when I overeat), but I can't throw up on demand and I guess that's better, but still, I overloaded myeslf with food and my poor bowel doesn't like that

I am sorry, I don't want to make this topic about me... sorry for mentioning that, just wanted to point out I can't "speak from experience" about magnesium for the last two days, because I don't feel OK and that's probably because I messed up.

Was I clearer? Again, I apologize.

#288140 - 10/27/06 07:20 AM
Sand

No apology necessary. I was just confused - and a little concerned. Thanks for clearing things up.

--------------------

#288146 - 10/27/06 08:56 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I'm using Heather's acacia and like it ... haven't tried any others yet. Oddly, I find I have less gas & bloating now that I'm using a SFS. But I am going slow, slow, slow with it as far as increasing dosage. Thankfully, even a little SF helps my symptoms a lot.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#288159 - 10/27/06 11:31 AM
Jordy

Yes, Miralax relieves much of the anxiety because it's a guarenteed way to go. No wondering.

I do take digestive enzymes with every meal. Digest Gold.

I am leery of doing the BTC diet, especially eating only white rice, because the constipation would seem most likely to increase.

I eat pretty normally for a C...SF and IF at every meal. Maybe not enough IF? I don't know. Too tired to think about it right now.

--------------------

#288178 - 10/27/06 02:23 PM
Jeio

I don't eat white rice either (unless it's an emergency and I just HAVE to get a meal ready quickly, it cooks faster), I only use brown rice, because my sweet husband has high cholesterol and should not eat high glycemic index foods...

When I started the BTC diet (or something like it, I didn't know it was called that at the time, I was just listenning to my best friends advice, who has UC), I didn't notice an increase in C. I think because I was eating less things that would make it to my colon (less fiber and other things that bother us) I just had less material there and din't have to gooften anyway. That reduced the problem, though, because I had less stuff in my system.

If you're in pain, it's probably too much IF. It's always a balance between IF and no C... At least with me. Before, I would eat a TON of fiber and for a while I didn't even have C (I have had C since I was born)... but I didn't have pain back then (or I wasn't noticing it ) so I didn't even think I was doing something bad...

Just pointing out how it was for me.

I hope you feel better in the weekend
Jerry

Confused about the rice new
      #288373 - 10/29/06 06:23 PM
Jordy

Are you saying you did the BTC diet with brown rice?

If I don't eat at least the amount of IF I am now, I don't go....I think. It's hard when you have C and pain....how to balance the fibers...or not to take in much fiber at all in order to give the body a break.

--------------------

Jordy, how are you today? new
      #288473 - 10/30/06 04:07 PM
Jeio

How are you today, dear?

Yes, when I did the BTC diet, I did it with brown rice. I over cook it some (and put yummy eastern european spices on it, mmm, tastes like my grandma's) and it's great with me.

You are so right, it's a very difficult balance to find. So hard to follow after, too...

OK, I will repeat what I did.

- I stopped all IF for awhile(but that in the brown rice, I read it was very tollerable on this website somewhere, so I thought why change it, then I would need to cook one for me and one for my husband). I was eating brown rice, potatoes and toasted white bread (with jam/jelly, no butter). I was doing toasted, because my best friend told me soft bread sticks to your guts and is more dificult to digest than toasted, and I have found her to be right while I was eating mostly that

- While I was doing that I was taking Miralax to be able to have BMs...

- I started gradually introducing some more IF to the abovementioned -- adding some peppers to the rice... or tomatoes (small amounts)... some onions here and there... making soups not just of potatoes and pasta but also adding some celery, or some other veggie

- I stopped the miralax and started taking magnesium.

- I am pretty good now. I suspect i needed the miralax to stabilize.

Blessings
Jerry

Re: roasted red peppers new
      #288492 - 10/30/06 05:26 PM
GaiasSong

line415, I'm actually using roasted red peppers as a substitute for tomatoes now, and doing fine with them.

--------------------

for gaiasong: roasted red peppers new
      #288498 - 10/30/06 05:41 PM
line415

Interesting. I will have to try the roasted red peppers again b/c that might have been a fluke. I am okay with tomatoes (a slice or two on a sandwich) but I really have a difficult time with tomato sauce (even if it's just a little). How do you buy your roasted red peppers? Sorry to sound nieve, but I've only ordered them out or bought them on one or two occassions in a jar full of oil. Thanks

--------------------

Re: for gaiasong: roasted red peppers new
      #288500 - 10/30/06 05:49 PM
GaiasSong

That's okay! I'm a manic label reader, you have to be. (I feel ya on the tomato sauce, it kills me.)

This is the peppers I buy, off the shelf at my grocery store:

http://www.vigoalessi.com/itemView.php?id=376

--------------------

thanks n/t new
      #288501 - 10/30/06 05:54 PM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 915 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review