All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Left Sided Abdominal and Back Pain
      #287442 - 10/22/06 10:11 AM
chergui

Reged: 10/05/06
Loc: Mobile, AL

Hi. I'm new to the board, so, I'm not sure where to post this, so if I'm in the wrong place, maybe Heather can move my post elsewhere.

I'm 53 and was diagnosed with IBS in 1982. I have had very minimal symptoms, however, I had a bad bout in '82, '00, and '01.

During the middle of June ('06), I started with left sided pain that shot through to my back like a hot poker. A week after the pain started, I had a bout of D that lasted 2 weeks. Then, my BMs changed...very narrow. Felt like I wasn't totally evacuating. Pain on left side going through to my back continued. Also began to lose weight because I couldn't eat anything that didn't cause pain (including rice, pasta, oatmeal). Being an RN, I thought of the big C.

I went to the GI doc, who said he didn't think it was GI related. He thought it was musculoskeletal since I not only had pain in left lower quadrant of abdomen but also had pain in left lower back. He put me on pain meds.

After 2 weeks I was back in his office begging for a colonoscopy. I won't go into the horrors of the colonoscopy, but the report was absolutely normal...no polyps, kinks, diverticula...absolutely nothing.

Next, I went to my GYN, who did a repeat US of pelvis and abdomen (one done in Feb and another in Sept) and a CT scan of pelvis and abdomen. Again, all tests were normal. No cysts...nothing.

So, what's going on? I thought maybe I became allergic to wheat. So, I'm now totally wheat free.

Does anyone else out there have left lower quadrant abdominal pain that you can feel in your back also?

I'm at a loss as to what type of doc to go see next.

I've already been to a shrink, who has put me on Lexapro. I don't feel physically better, but at least I'm not crying all day because of the pain.

I'm trying Heather's acacia. I started very slowly...1/4 tsp once a day for several days, ramping up to 1/2 tsp, then 3/4 tsp. Now, I'm at 1 tsp a day. I feel worse, but I'm not going to give up yet. I want to give this a real try.

I sleep with a heating pad, which helps.

My life seems ruined since June. I can't go out to eat because everything I eat causes pain. I can't go shopping because walking causes pain. Not to mention, "what is intimacy these days with poor hubby?"

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you one and all and God bless,
Elaine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have minimal symptoms new
      #287448 - 10/22/06 11:08 AM

Unregistered

I don't get bad ibs symptoms but they are very bothersome. Today I heard a noise on my lower left side then right after just around the corner a tiny bit on my left lower back I felt like this spasm or some back pain.I can't decribe how it felt but I slouched over for like 2 seconds, grabbed my side and thought-what was that? Its happened a few times before. What is it?!

Re: I have minimal symptoms new
      #287464 - 10/22/06 12:27 PM
chergui

Good question. What is it? That's what I've been asking docs since June.

Re: Left Sided Abdominal and Back Pain new
      #287479 - 10/22/06 03:24 PM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

Hi Elaine..

I'm also new to the boards. I'm a physical therapist here in Maryland and I was reading your posting about the pain you have in your side. I work with alot of back patients and from what I've read of your symptoms right now, it doesn't seem like they are related to a musculoskeletal disorder. Just a few questions...
1. Have you noticed any changes in you bladder habits
2. Do you have any pain going into your legs or your low back
3. do you have a family history of arthritis in the spine
4. have you had any female surgeries?

I hope I can help in eliminating one doctors visits and help ease your mind.

Colleen

#287484 - 10/22/06 04:52 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Are you following Heather's diet? If not, I'd highly recommend doing so -- even if the pain isn't stemming from IBS, it won't hurt. I would also try a prescription anti-spasmodic (if you haven't already) to see if that helps. I like Levsin. You can also try peppermint caps or strong peppermint tea if you prefer something more natural.

I am definitely no stranger to severe abdominal pain, and when it's really bad then it can definitely feel like it's radiating all the way out to my back. So the pain in your back might not be pain in your back (if that makes sense).

As far as what other tests to do ... you've covered your bases pretty well. If you really think wheat might be an issue, I'd recommend going to an allergist to get tested as well as going back to the GI for an endoscopy to test for celiac (you do have to go back to eating wheat before this, though). You can also go back to your gyn and ask for a CA-125 blood test -- it's often elevated in women with ovarian cancer and endometriosis. Endometriosis can cause adhesions and organs sticking together, which might not necessarily show up on an u/s. I have endometriosis and had some stuff stuck together on my left side -- not exactly sure what, but after two surgeries the localized pain on my left side is pretty much gone except for when I'm having a really severe D attack.

If you dig into the info on this website, Heather lists other disorders that should be ruled out before an IBS diagnosis -- this also includes some tests. If you take a look at that maybe you can get some ideas.

Welcome to the boards, and I'm sorry that something so unpleasant had to drive you here. I hope you can find some relief soon.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#287490 - 10/22/06 05:39 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Elaine,
Welcome to the boards. I agree with Jen & Colleen. Everything has to be ruled out first for a diagn. of IBS. What you desribed is how I felt. The horrible pain on my left side and back. I have been on Heather's diet since the first part of August,'06. I am taking 2 teaspoons of the Acacia powder twice a day for my SF and am adding IF to my diet slowly as I am IBS-C. My doctor gave me 10 mg of Amitriptyline to raise my pain threshold, and I recently started on a multi enzyme formula probotic. I am halfway through the hypnotherapy tapes, and find that my pain is "very tolerable". Matter of fact I don't notice it most of the time. I hope this helps.
Hang in there, it will get better. Everyone here is very supportive and helpful. We are all going through it too.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#287508 - 10/23/06 05:39 AM
chergui

Hi Jen. Well, I've been taking NuLev on and off since 2000. Since, June I've been taking it daily with minimal to moderate help. I've also been following Heather's diet. For breakfast I first eat oatmeal...no milk as I'm lactose intolerant. Then I have a piece of rice bread toasted. For lunch I start with rice or 1/2 baked potato followed by 1/2 broiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and applesauce. For dinner, I have baked potato or rice, maybe the other half of the chicken breast or maybe a bowl of rice krispies.

I've tried Heather's Acacia Fiber, however, I am more miserable than before I started. I started very, very slowly: 1/4 tsp once a day for 3-4 days; then I ramped up to 1/2 tsp once a day for 3-4 days; then 3/4 tsp once a day for 3-4 days. Now I'm at 1 tsp once a day for about a week. The gas and pain has been much worse than when I started the Acacia. It's actually so bad that I don't go out of the house.

I've never had any female surgery, never had problems with periods (pain). I went through menopause at age 46...no HRT due to family history of breast cancer.

I find the whole thing baffling. Further, I think that not knowing what this is and if it is IBS, it is hard not to be anxious over it, which I know doesn't help the IBS.

If you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Thank you and have a great day,
Elaine

#287510 - 10/23/06 05:53 AM
chergui

Good morning Colleen. To answer your questions:
1. I haven't noticed any changes in bladder habits.
2. No pain radiating to legs. I do have pain in my lower back.
3. As far as I know, there is no hx of arthritis of the spine. However, I did fall in January of this year and fractured my tail bone. Instantly I began with low back pain. The low back pain was worse first thing in the morning before I had a BM...almost crippling. At this time my IBS symptoms were not acting up. I was having normal BMs.

I had an MRI done that showed some degenerative disc disease in 2 lumbar discs.

I also have fairly severe osteoporosis for someone my age. I was on Actonel for a year but developed UGI problems. In March of this year I began taking Boniva. After the first dose, within 6 hours I had severe pain in every bone in my body including my fingers. Codeine was the only thing that took away the pain. I continued with the Boniva despite the 1st side effects. The second month was ok. After the third dose in May and after 5 days after taking the Boniva, I couldn't walk for 10 days because the pain in my lower extremities was so severe. I finally stopped the Boniva after the May dose. Coincidentally or not, my left sided pain began shortly after the May dose. I talked to my doctors about this, but they blew it off.

4. No, I've not had any female surgeries. I never experienced pain during periods. I went through menopause at 46 and never took HRT due to family hx of breast cancer.

Colleen, any other info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,
Elaine

#287518 - 10/23/06 07:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

One of the side-effects of Boniva is bone pain and a couple of Websites I checked mentioned back pain specifically. I can't get a sense of whether that pain should subside once you stop taking it. (I'm assuming you're no longer taking it.)

Kidney stones are another possibility. I've read they can sometimes be missed by ultrasound.

Since you're eating pretty much only SF I'm assuming you're IBS-D. I am, too, and I found Levsin (same ingredient as NuLev) to be unhelpful. You might talk to your doctor about trying Donnatol - it's an antispasmodic with phenobarbitol - it seems to work better for me.

Have you tried fennel tea for the gas? If you can get that under control it might ease the pain off a little bit.

If nothing else helps, my next suggestion for a doctor would be an orthopedist. You've got bone pain, osteoporosis, and some degenerative spinal problems. Maybe he could find something.

Last, but not least, old home week - I'm originally from Fairhope.

I hope you're able to figure this out and get it under control. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287525 - 10/23/06 08:29 AM
Zoomom

Reged: 09/06/06

I woke up one Saturday morning in April 06 with lower back pain and a bloated tummy. Well, my regular doctor thought it was due to my radical diet change in January 06 of the basic Southbeach plan. When the pain/bloat did not subside, the regular doc sent me to a neuro doc thinking I was having spasms. Well the neuro doc gave me Baclofen 40mg daily. This doesn't do much for me though.

So, back to regular doc and she puts me on Hyoscyamine with little to no help. Off I went to a GI doc last week and he had me do a CT-scan. I have not got the results back yet.

My symptoms are left and/or right side pain, lower back pain and bloat. The pain can radiate to my thighs as well. I have a normal appetite, normal daily bowel movement, no vomiting or nausia and because of my healthier eating habits I've lost 20lbs.

Living with this daily pain/bloat is awful! I have to admit, it is very depressing as well.

Robin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3312

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review