All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beano and stabilization
      #287287 - 10/20/06 05:25 PM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

I just wanted to first say how great these forums are! I was diagnosed with IBS back in Aug, but I'm still awaiting additional tests to r/o other disorder.

These might be some very elementary questions so please bare with me. What exactly is stabilization...is it a normalization of all symptoms or just bowel habits?
My other question regards insoluble fiber and the use of Beano. I've been trying very hard to integrate IF back into my diet slowly but I still find I get increased bloating and gas near the bottom left corner of my abdomial area. Am I integrating too fast or should I try just taking Beano to assist in relief. I have recently started to keep a journal with what I eat during the day, which I know will help in determining what starts my symptoms.

Thanks again...all your posts have been served as a huge motivation for me to get these symptoms under control and "get back to normal"

Colleen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beano and stabilization new
      #288046 - 10/26/06 12:44 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I think stabilization refers to control of ALL of your IBS symptoms, not just BMs. This includes gas, bloating, pain, C, D, etc...

I use beano all the time, several times a day. But I have found that I need to take 4 at a time for it to work. I would suggest trying the acacia; it will help a LOT with gas and bloating!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#288076 - 10/26/06 03:24 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the enzyme in beano is meant to digest legume fiber only, it doesn't help nearly as much as cellulase does for the rest of the plant fibers, you would be better off getting a multi enzyme formula that has alpha galactosidase in it which is the enzyme in beano. Just for reference.

#288077 - 10/26/06 03:30 PM
Lisa Marie

According to Beano's website, it is supposed to help with the digestion of vegetables and whole grains, too.

But, since I typically take 4 of them twice a day (lunch and dinner, and sometimes with a snack), if you know of a digestive enzyme that does the same thing and is CHEAPER, I'd love to hear about it...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#288079 - 10/26/06 03:48 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i am ion canada so i don't know what is available in all areas, but digest more ultra by renew life work well and aren't too expensive since you would take les of them a day. Enzymedica are supposed to be good, but not so cheap. Enzymatic therapy makes good ones too that should be affordable, they have a vegetarian one which means it has lots of enzymes to digest fiers and starches, so what the HFS has, and good luck.

#288083 - 10/26/06 04:01 PM
Lisa Marie

I know I've seen Renew Life brand at my HFS, so perhaps I will give them a shot, and see if they work for me (and if they're cheaper!). I mean, the Beano works for me, but it's kinda pricey... Thanks!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#288249 - 10/28/06 08:08 AM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

I'm a HUGE procrastinator and I know I need to just order it...so I just did it!
Tbanks for the help everyone!

#288295 - 10/28/06 06:15 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

Beano is much cheaper at COSTCO. I use it for my dogs when they have gas.
G

Is this cheaper than Beano? new
      #288446 - 10/30/06 10:47 AM
Lisa Marie

I found the Renew Life Ultra stuff, and it was $50 for 90 pills! Think I'll try it, but not sure if it's cheaper than Beano, of which I take 4 pills at a time. Hopefully just one Renew Life pill will work; if I have to take two, I'll probably go back to Beano. Miso, does one pill work for you?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review