All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Women Link IBS-D t o Menopause- hormonal changes
      #287277 - 10/20/06 04:34 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Can someone please explain as to why IBS-D is a symptom or related to hormonal changes in a women. Im 48 and this whole D thing started about 2-3 years ago. Could it be my changes???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Women Link IBS-D t o Menopause- hormonal changes new
      #287337 - 10/21/06 08:20 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I don't know why either and would like some info. I am 34 and not menopausal, but my IBS began during my pregnancy with my now seven year old son, so I know it is for sure a hormonal issue. Even now that I am much better than at my sickest due to controlling anxiety and Heather's diet and info, I still suffer with symptoms around my period and at mid cycle. I would love to know the science behind the connection.

Christy

#287378 - 10/21/06 04:27 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm not sure if there are any new studies on this, but I think it might be that hormonal changes can also affect your pain threshold levels in your gut. There are also specific hormones that control the activity in your GI tract. So, if your hormones change and you become more sensitive to pain in your gut this could trigger IBS symptoms. However, my understanding is that once you're through menopause you no longer have hormonal fluctuations so you should see a decrease in your symptoms.

Here's a paper I found about Hormones & IBS: http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/hormones_and_ibs.pdf

#287380 - 10/21/06 05:17 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

My GI doctor said he believes that it is the physical stress on the body that causes flare ups. Could easily be, I suppose.

#287427 - 10/22/06 06:52 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I dont have pain though. Just the BM cramps and then they are gone. Sometimes, I mean occassionally I have crampping during a movement and its almost worse than giving birth. But all in all, I am not in discomfort. Just accident prone it seems. Dont know when it is coming and get me to bathroom fast. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the article, Maria. -nt- new
      #287439 - 10/22/06 09:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review