All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What kind of doctor?
      #287023 - 10/19/06 07:10 AM
doubledover

Reged: 10/15/06

What kind of doctor is best to go to for IBS? As of now I've only seen general practice type doctors or doctors in the er or the ones on my college campus. I've never had any tests really, they just tell me I have IBS and to take more fiber and give me pill samples. But now my IBS is getting really bad and I tried making a doctor's appointment but I think she's a general practice and I have to wait 5 days. Should I see a gastrenologist, internal medicine, something else? Do you have to have a referral to see them? Thanks so much, I'm kind of ocnfused by all this!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What kind of doctor? new
      #287034 - 10/19/06 07:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think a gastroenterologist is best but if you can find a really good general practitioner or internist that works, too.

No doctor of any type should be diagnosing IBS without a boatload of testing. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion which means you have to exclude every other possibility first. Take a look at the information starting here to see what tests you need and what your doctors need to exclude to diagnosis you with IBS.

I don't see where you are but you can look through this thread to see if there's a doctor in your area who does a good job with IBS. You can also do a new post saying where you live and asking if anyone in your area can recommend someone.

Whether you need a referral depends on your health insurance plan and may depend on the GI doctor himself.

And, crazy as it sounds, waiting 5 days to see a "real" doctor is pretty standard. (A friend of mine once called his Family Doctor because he had a fever of 102 and was told he would have to wait a week for an appointment.) Where I live the wait for some specialties - like endocrinology or dermatology - can be a month or more. If you've already made the appointment with the GP keep it and see if she can help or, if not, if she can point you to a good GI guy.

While you're waiting to see the doctor, try the EFI Diet and some herbal teas and see if that helps ease your symptoms somewhat.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 641 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review