All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Minocycline
      #287004 - 10/18/06 09:28 PM

Unregistered

I took minocycline for a little while about a year ago, it was to treat acne, but it didn't help so i got on a bc pill for hormonal acne, it helps. Is it possible the minocycline did something to my body all that time ago now I have Bad C and ibs symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Minocycline new
      #287017 - 10/19/06 06:17 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Minocycline like many other acne treatments are antibiotics. Antibiotics can worsen IBS symptoms because they destroy the good bacteria in your gut. A probiotic would help restore the good bacteria. Are you taking one? Anytime you have to take antibiotics in the future, be sure to take a probiotic along with it, and for a month after stopping the medication.

--------------------
Kat

serotonin new
      #287119 - 10/19/06 01:22 PM

Unregistered

I was wondering if people with ibs have too much seratonin in their gut or not enough. I found this off a website- "Ninety-five percent of the serotonin in your body is located in the GI tract, and the other 5 percent is found in the brain. Cells that line the inside of the bowel work as transporters and carry the serotonin out of the GI tract. People with IBS, however, have diminished receptor activity, causing abnormal levels of serotonin to exist in the GI tract. As a result, people with IBS experience problems with bowel movement, motility, and sensation—having more sensitive pain receptors in their GI tract." http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/
By the way, what is a really good priobiotic? can i take it daily? i'm not on any antibiotics, just amitiza and some birth control right now,and occasionaly mirilax.

Re: serotonin new
      #287131 - 10/19/06 02:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You asked an interesting question that has a complicated answer. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that effects electrical transmission of neurons . The IBS drugs Zelnorm and Lotronex affect serotonin levels.

Do a search on the General IBS and Bowel Dysfunction library to find more information about serotonin, Zelnorm and Lotronex.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: serotonin new
      #287166 - 10/19/06 08:39 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I do suggest you try a probiotic since you had been on antibiotics and are now on the pill. I've read somewhere about the birth control pill possibly contributing to lower 'good' bacteria levels in the gut.

I don't have experience with taking them, but people have been talking about them off and on on these boards, so try a search. Also try asking your health food store person, or pharmacist.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13259

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review