All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need sound advice, I have to take Amoxil for dentalwork but IBS 'D'
      #286813 - 10/17/06 03:56 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Antibiotics give me the D side effect. I have to go for extensive dental work and I have to take 2,000 mg of amoxil for 8 dental visits because of my mitral valve prolapse. How do I handle this? Take immodium with the amoxil pills?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need sound advice, I have to take Amoxil for dentalwork but IBS 'D' new
      #286815 - 10/17/06 04:11 PM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

From my understanding, the reason antibiotics cause D is because they kill the "good" bacteria in the intestines. When I have to take antibiotics, I take acidophilus supplements along with them to counteract that effect. You can find those at health food stores and even some grocery stores.

#286828 - 10/17/06 05:52 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Hi Joann el Coq (?)
I have just been through a couple of months of the same thing, and now have a three-week respite. That much amoxacillin (what I took), unexpectedly gave me the same D effect, although I have IBS-C. What I learned to do was to cut back on insoluble fiber, and take a regular medium dosage of Acacia Tummy Fiber before every meal.

Fortunately, plain Immodium (or generic), works extremely well for me in a situation like this. So I was able to go off to work almost immediately after an episode of D.

Revival Soy has a bunch of pastas that are high in protein, with almost no fiber. Also, my recipe for a no-fiber mocha shake (on the ForMyTummy blog) is pretty good. I wound up mostly having liquid meals, protein shakes, no frozen-fruit smoothies, and soft finger food, like vegetarian puffs. I didn't want any vegetables; I go through "no veg" phases. When my teeth felt like it, I indulged in Baked Lays.

Let me know how it turns out!

Quote:

Antibiotics give me the D side effect. I have to go for extensive dental work and I have to take 2,000 mg of amoxil for 8 dental visits because of my mitral valve prolapse. How do I handle this? Take immodium with the amoxil pills?

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

#286829 - 10/17/06 06:05 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Smiling strange - I like that. It fits my strange mouth right now. Yours is a great suggestion about probiotics like Acidophilus--which they also havein the large chain drugstore I just visited. I thought of Acidophilus and the advice I read somewhere to keep taking it for a couple of weeks after stopping (and in my case restarting) antibiotics like Amoxil.

What really struck me though, in the drugstore, was that of course there's something to do when you know ahead of time that a certain course of action--travel, antibiotics, teaching a class, whatever--is going to give you diarrhea. My almost infallible cure is to start taking a preventive dose of Equalactin about 36 hours before the event, and continue through the event, and then taper off after.

That regimen has worked for me for foreign travel, for doing the kind of teaching that is exciting and yet has many unexpected moments, for moving from one place to another. What did NOT work, was substituting polycarbophil citrate (?), the main ingredient, in any form other than the chewable tablets in which Equalactin is produced. It is the only OTC product that I have ever thought was under priced! For what it has done for me it is priceless. Now why didn't I take it this time? I think because I was caught by surprise by the reaction of my gut to Amoxicillin plus occasional course of penicillin plus the month of August.

I hope all goes well at the dentist, Joannelecoq.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

#286834 - 10/17/06 06:58 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Make sure you're taking a probiotic while you're taking the antibiotic, and for a month or two after you're all finished. You should ask your doctor or pharmacist if you can take Imodium with the amoxil.

I also have a mitro-valve prolapse...take Immodium and make your appointment later in the day n/t new
      #286850 - 10/17/06 08:25 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1562

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review