All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Thank you Jerry new
      #287093 - 10/19/06 12:06 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Can I ask how much Acacia you take? Do you have to supplement with anything else to help you...like a probiotic or anything?

I saw you take Miralax too. Do you take a full dose of Miralax and athe Acacia?

Thanks so much!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Miso new
      #287095 - 10/19/06 12:08 PM
Jordy

I did take a whole teaspoon of NC last night. My doctor told me to cut back on the fiber as it doesn't help everyone.

--------------------

Re: Thank you Jerry new
      #287133 - 10/19/06 02:26 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I take about 1 tablespoon a day (1 teaspoon in the morning with the oatmeal, then two more in the evening with a smoothie). I don't usually take it during the day.

I don't take any probiotics.

Forgot to say, yes, I take a full dose of Miralax. Or was taking, before I decided to not take it any more (which was yesterday)... We'll see how it goes.

Good luck with stopping the Miralax new
      #287200 - 10/20/06 07:17 AM
Jordy

Are you going to wean yourself off....or go cold turkey off?

I hope you have an easier time than I. I think I will have to go back up to a full dose. 1/4 dose isn't cutting it. Stupid body. I hate taking meds...or needing to take them.

--------------------

Re: Good luck with stopping the Miralax new
      #287263 - 10/20/06 02:29 PM
Jeio

Cold turkey... I didn't like it anyway, I think it was giving me too much gas (it's one of the side effects of it). Its my second day off Miralax and on Magnesium sulfide... and I had a normal BM. I think it's the Magnesium Sulfide that's helping. I am also sleeping better -- for almost the whole night, which is impressive for someone who dreams the weird stuff I dream about...

However, the big thing with my IBS, I think, is my period. It's due in a week so we'll see what happens then. When that time of the month comes (judging from the last two months experience, I didn't know I had IBS before), neither Miralax nor anything helps, even if I am not C, I am in so much pain that I would literally fall convulsive on the floor a couple of times a day...

My doctor told me that most people who take Miralax need a full dose (after I expressed the hope I would not need a full dose all my life). Thus I don't think any half, fourth or 6th doses would do, I myself have tried halves and 3/4s and it doesn't work... (I tried a 5/6th once, and it did work, but I think 5/6 is too close to 1 )

Jordy are you taking Natural Calm? How much magnesium does it equate to? Did you increase your dose?

I'm experimenting with the Natural Calm new
      #287300 - 10/20/06 06:25 PM
Jordy

Sometimes I take it and sometimes I don't. I think I will rev it up if I am going to try and stop the Miralax, though.

3 teaspoons equals 615 mg magnesium citrate. I went from 1/2 teaspoon to a full teaspoon last night...and it helped some.

That's weird about 1/2 doses not doing anything. You would think 1/2 dose would have some effect over zero doses. How long were you on Miralax? I think it's been pretty good for me, overall, so I don't know why I'm trying to get off of it so badly...except that it is a medical laxative, which I don't know if I trust.

Where do you get magnesium sulphide? Is there a product? How much of it do you take?

I also take a cal/mag supplement during the day...so I get about 600 mg from that in a day....to try to balance off the calcium constipation.

--------------------

#287302 - 10/20/06 06:29 PM
Jordy

Are you still increasing the Acacia? Or, are you happy with the 1 tablespoon? Is it treating you well?

--------------------

Re: I'm experimenting with the Natural Calm new
      #287327 - 10/20/06 10:02 PM
Jeio

Quote:

That's weird about 1/2 doses not doing anything. You would think 1/2 dose would have some effect over zero doses

You would think, yes, but it did not for me. I have been taking it for the last two months and a half (I think it's getting closer to 3 months now), but, as I mentioned, it was giving me gas.

Quote:

Where do you get magnesium sulphide? Is there a product? How much of it do you take?

I got it from the local pharmacy, a Duane Reade store (New York City's equivalent to CVS) and that's what it sais Magnesium Citrate (did I say sulphide before? I am sorry if I did), and it has different flavors. It comes in bottles and you don't have to mix it yourself, it is already mixed for you .

1 fl oz from the bottle, it sais, equals to 290 mg Magnesium content (that's exactly what it sais) and i take 2 ounces (so that would be 580 mg). I don't dare to lower it, since I seem to have hit the right dose for me from the first try and the improvement in my sleep is so amazing too.

I don't know much about Cal-Mag supplements and I don't take one. Is it giving you C? If so, why don't you stop it and rely only on the Natural Calm for your magnesium... I think I will be able to get my calcium from other foods, like rice milk and almond milk

#287328 - 10/20/06 10:03 PM
Jeio

No, I am not increasing the Acacia. I think that's enough for now and I don't want to shock myself. I feel pretty good now, yes

Re: I'm experimenting with the Natural Calm new
      #287976 - 10/26/06 06:44 AM
Jordy

I need to take calcium for my bones, unfortunately. Which I didn't have to bother with it and add another factor to this equation! But, it's not an option not to take calcium.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review