All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Too much?
      #286437 - 10/14/06 09:17 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is it okay to take Acacia, flax meal, Miralax and sometimes magnesium over the course of the day? Or is this overstressing my body?

My stools are pretty soft and watery and constant. I also have painful crampss. But, then some days I don't go hardly at all. I'm afraid if I quit one of the supplements, I won't go.

If I do stop one or more, which one do I stop?

I just want the most "normal" BM routine I can get...and I'm not too close. Either too much or none.

Thanks all.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too much? new
      #286536 - 10/15/06 10:18 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I really feel that if you need all of that you should consult your docter. I try not to take over the counter stuff because even prescribed meds I have been on don't work but they may for you.Have you tried zelnorm? It didn't work with me but I know it does for some and is safe but from your docter you have to get it.

#286545 - 10/15/06 12:20 PM
Jordy

My doctor know how much I have to take...and just keeps telling me to take whatever it takes to go.

I have been on zelnorm in the past, but it didn't help.

What exactly do you take (supplement or meds) to manage your C? Did you ever try that low fiber diet?

--------------------

#286554 - 10/15/06 02:09 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you definetly need to pare it down a bit, that is a lot of stuff, the flax and magnesium are the things your body naturally uses and the acacia helps things move smoothly, the miralax would be the one to try and stop. All in all i would say it would be easiest to eventually get down to just acacia and magnesium(natural calm) as the flax is great but needs to be refigerated and hpefully you will eventually get your IF from fruits and veggies. But go slow with paring down and give it time.

There's more new
      #286561 - 10/15/06 03:47 PM
Jordy

I guess I should confess...I take Triphala too.

--------------------

#286564 - 10/15/06 04:54 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I'm in the same boat...sometimes I feel like all the supplements and stuff I'm taking are doing my body more harm than good...I currently take two different kinds of SFS, peppermint capsules, triphala, omeprazole (for my gastritis) digestive enzymes, beano and zelnorm...but like you, I am afraid of experimenting with cutting back on any one of these things, because of the risk of making my symptoms even worse. When you're taking so many supplements and formulas, though, it's hard to know which ones are helping, and which aren't. I have made a follow-up appointment with a nutritionist who is familiar with Heather's diet, and who knows a lot about supplements, and hopefully she will be able to assist me in some of the detective work...are you seeing a G.I, a dietician, or any other professional who might be able to help you figure it out? Sorry I'm not much help, but I can surely empathize!

--------------------
Julia

Thank you Julia! new
      #286577 - 10/15/06 06:06 PM
Jordy

I can't believe you understand so well. It's really frustrating not knowing if we are hurting ourselves or helping, isn't it?

I take Cal/Mag, triphala, flax meal, fish oil caps, acacia, probiotic, Miralax, Buspar, an AD, Sirraquel, natural calm. and last, but not least, digestive enzymes. Oh, valerian and peppermint capsules too. I think that's everything. I don't know what to keep and what to ditch, if anything.

Please let me know what your nutritionist says. I have a GI but he is useless...nice, but useless.

If I had the money, I'd go to a naturapath or something.

--------------------

the list i take new
      #286581 - 10/15/06 06:51 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

we all take quite a few things and that is all good, but its taking too many things for the same reason that is probably not best, like 5 different things to make us poop. I currently take
-multivitamin for nutrients i might miss
-AD for anxiety,ocd
-Omega 3 fish oil for dha, epa
-Turmeric for inflammation
-l-glutamine for healing gut lining and protein synthesis
-Digestive enzymes
-Probiotics
-Mag/pot aspartates for energy and balancing
lack in diet
-iron pill with b-12 and folic acid cuz i am basically vegan.
So yeah it is lots of stuff, but all for different reasons, i would probably only take 2 things per ailment, and if those 2 don't do it then change it up.

Re: the list i take new
      #286589 - 10/15/06 07:39 PM
Jordy

But how do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to drop for the constipation? I can't tell if I was doing better with just the Miralax and flax to help bulk it up..or the acacia. Is Acacia, triphala, and flax meal too much too?

Oh, my doc just gave me Zelnorm too...to add the regiment.

--------------------

#286599 - 10/16/06 04:39 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

No I don't think it is so much fiber etc. I am so constipated regardless. I have another colonscpy scheduled. I have some better day this not being one. Its like out of the blue worse. I do know that with even the safer things you still need to keep taking more for it to work. I think taking that much in of anything is not good. Just take care. By the way I see a nutritionist. A few things just from a health stand point she says 3 meals/3 snacks enough fluids and healthy fats because they lubricate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review