All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ghee!! :)
      #286388 - 10/13/06 10:16 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I love ghee. It's lactose free, easy to digest, and can help you keep on weight. In ayruveda, they reccomend ghee for vata types, who are thin people who often have digestive issues and a hard time digesting anything. Often times herbs are infused in ghee and taken that way. It's made of butter but the lactose is burned off. Has anyone ever tried it? Any luck with it? How do you digest it? I do great with it and it's great when I can't digest much fat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It kills me new
      #286404 - 10/14/06 05:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Lactose or not, it's still dairy - dairy is a trigger for more reasons than just the lactose - and it's also still very high in fat. If you can truly eat it, good for you, but most other people should be aware that it's still a trigger food and should be avoided.

Ghee is not IBS friendly new
      #286406 - 10/14/06 06:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ghee although lactose free is not an IBS friendly oil and it is very high in fat in particular the bad kind of fats.

Ghee contains 32% monounsaturated, 65% saturated, and 3% polyunsaturated fats. Compare this to olive oil, an IBS friendly oil in small amount, which contains 73% monounsaturated, 11% polyunsaturated and 14% saturated fats.

Ghee is primarily composed of saturated fats while olive oil is primarily composed of monosaturated fats that is why Ghee does not burn at high temperatures.

It is definitely an IBS unfriendly oil.

PS - There is an excellent fat calculator at
http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/fat_contentResult.asp

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Ghee!! :) new
      #286407 - 10/14/06 06:44 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Even if this doesn't help other people with IBS, it's great that you found something that works for you. I hope it keeps working!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

it is a super bad idea new
      #286568 - 10/15/06 05:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

All ghee is is clarified butter, the whey solids are skimmed off leaving a substance that can withstand higher heat. It is pure fat! and not some kind of wonder food. No wait, I WONDER how anyone can think it is healthy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yowza! new
      #287308 - 10/20/06 07:23 PM
Tinkerbelle

I'm sorry if you guys don't agree with my suggestion... It really works for me and I can digest it really well.
Maybe I don't have IBS as bad as some of you and also I am in a great phase with it.
However, I also think that sometimes the FEARS of certain foods can make us sicker. I know some of you may not agree with this, but there is a freedom of speech in this country and on this board and I want to use it.
I know that for MYSELF when I was in the midst of IBS hell, even a little ghee would make me sick. But Honestly, so much of what was making me sick was my overwhelming anxiety, and my anxiety towards almost every food on the planet.
What I notice about these boards is a lot of anxiety. There is a lot of amazing support and love and incredible suggestions, but there is also a lot of anxiety. Understandibly so. I was more than there myself not too long ago, and I still have anxiety with other issues and with this one.... I just want to call attention to the idea that being afraid of foods (which I TOTALLY EMPATHIZE WITH) can make you unable to digest them. Maybe that's not the case for everyone on this board but it's the case for me. But if this idea can help just one person, then I'd feel happy.
Also, with this post about Ghee.... I was trying to point out that in other cultures they think that these kinds of things can help you. Sick people ingest Ghee with herbs to make them feel better. Maybe if u have horrible D they don't give it to you, I'm not sure.... But it seems to be easy to digest for me and other people... It got reccomended to me by a world renoun Ayruvedic practictioner when I was in the midst of IBS... So I dunno...
We all have different bodies and nothing, not even the diet on this website, is going to work for everyone. Other cultures and other dietitians have ideas of what works. As individuals our makeups are all so different, and our issues are all so different, that different things work for all of us.
I guess I feel frustration with this website sometimes and with any other movement that claims to have the only correct answer. I encourage all of you to research your issues and your health and find what works... and you may find that this is the perfect answer for you after all that searching.... In any case, just really putting in my two cents... Sorry if I offended anyone...

Tinkerbelle new
      #287313 - 10/20/06 07:59 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How did you get such good control of your anxiety? Any tips?

Thank you!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Tinkerbelle new
      #287316 - 10/20/06 08:12 PM
Tinkerbelle

Wow... in so many ways.... Hopefully this can help some of you:
1.5 years ago I was in Hell. I think some of you may FOR SURE rememebr me and I was a mess. First thing I did was fall in love, which elevated my chemicals and gave me someone to go out to dinner with LOL. But I wouldn't have gotten better if I didn't get on Lexapro.
I am super organic earthy lalalala... and I didn't want to get on it... but I honestly believe it saved my life at this point. And I am grateful that I was abe to use it exactly as I intended to- to get me out of the whole I was in and give me enough energy and drive to do all the things I knew I was needing to do. And then get off of it after 4 months.
After that, I began a graduate school program in counseling psychology. I was able to explore my anxiety on a deeper level. I had a few therapists and then got the best therapist of my life about 5 months ago who has helped me view myself as "a person with anxiety," which has really shaped my life in a different way... I know recognize my anxiety and try to control it if possible.
I also have some amazing friends that help me keep my anxiety in check. I have become more spiritual through them and also through my own practices, such as yoga, being grateful for things, listening to amazing music, dancing, etc.
Anxiety, at least for me, means that something in my life is out of balance. So by correcting those things, my anxiety goes away. At the time of my worse phase, I was getting ready to leave the city i had lived in for 7 years, I had a new boyfriend, I was going to start grad school... I WAS HORRIFIED. When my situation changed and I saw that new wasn't scary but actually much better, my anxiety went away.
Sometimes we can't change situations in our lives, like if we are not making as much money as we want or someone has recently passed away in our lives or our partner has left us... so in that case, the only thing to do is learn how to cope. Learn skills for calming yourself down.
The other thing, which I find to be the MOST IMPORTANT, is to make sure you have things in your life that you absolutely love. Friends, funny movies, dancing, beautiful music, food that tastes amazing, awesome sex, a craft or talent, a yoga class, running, WHATEVER IT IS, make sure you have at least SOMETHING that provides you with fun and enjoyment. Because you cannot be anxious and relaxed/having fun at the same time. This is of the utmost importance in my book.
Let me know if this helps. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask!

Re: Tinkerbelle new
      #287352 - 10/21/06 10:05 AM
Jordy

Thank you for such an uplifting post! I wish I could be more like you. I hope you post more in the future!

You aren't taking Lexapro or any other meds now at all? Even herbal?

I really wish I had your outlook! Anxiety is a killer for me. Always present. I have really isolated myself and have no friends because all I do is sit home in pain all day. I have no desire to go out when I feel this bad. I don't see how I can! I am in too much pain to enjoy anything.

Anyhow, thanks for your words. I have marked this post as a favorite so that I can refer back to it.

Blessings

--------------------

Re: To Jordy !!!!!!!!!! new
      #287355 - 10/21/06 10:36 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hi Jordy,
I just want you to know that even though I don't write much on the board lately, I always read your posts I can totally relate to you and the way you feel..."I have really isolated myself and have no friends because all I do is sit home in pain all day. I have no desire to go out when I feel this bad. I don't see how I can! I am in too much pain to enjoy anything."

If/when I find something to help my pain and constipation; I will for sure share that with you and everybody here.

If you ever feel like emailing me or talking on the phone, just let me know. I always pray for you in my prayers. I know how lonely one can feel with this constant horrible pain, but I'm here for you....You aren't alone.

Big hugs and blessings,
Abi
aft98@bellsouth.net

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Re:Anxiety new
      #287360 - 10/21/06 12:48 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I so agree with you that anxiety over food can be a bigger IBS trigger than any one specific food. My GI does not deal with diet per se. Fiber and water yes, but unless someone tests specifically for celiac or whatever, he says there is no scientific evidence that diet is the culprit in IBS. And he says he is a scientist and goes with the scientific evidence. Before everybody jumps on this, I want to say, he is a great GI and I have been to several. He treats his patients with dignity and respect. He does not overbook so you are not faced with a waiting room full of patients. He first has you come into his office and sit down and discuss what is going on. Next he leads you to an exam room, gives you a gown and privacy to change. Then he returns with his nurse. After the exam, he has you come back to his office. Unfortunately, he is not taking new patients.

But back to the anxiety issue. I think fear, which leads to anxiety and then often depression, is the biggest crippler of all. I love what your therapist said, you are "a person with anxiety". So much better than saying you are an anxious person. You learn to deal with it and to function with the symptoms of anxiety or depression. It took me soooooo many years to learn this. And the more you function, the less the symptoms will bother you. I too believe that medications can help tremendously, but really work best if coupled with changes in behavior and thoughts.

I know how hard it is to go out there when you are doubled over in pain and worried of having a bowel accident. I have poorly functioning sphincters and have had some unpleasant "accidents." I've limited some of things I do - like leading tours at my botanic garden - because I can't just leave a group of kids and go trotting off to the bathroom, but I try to do as much as I can. I also have arthritis and fibro and don't always feel too well. But I feel a lot worse if I sit home. I then tend to dwell on every little symptom, every ache or pain I feel. I have learned that I can't always change what is going on but I can change my attitude toward it. Like you say, "the only thing to do is learn how to cope." I think that it is great that you have discovered this at your age. thanks for sharing your success with us. Hope I don't sound too preachy but I too think people on these boards get a bit reactive and critical at times when all we are trying to do is share our experiences and offer some support and hope.

Jordy new
      #287382 - 10/21/06 05:29 PM
Tinkerbelle

I urge you to try and find things you enjoy/LOVE... that is the number one stress reliever. Not meditation, yoga all that "serious" stuff... but FUN!!! I don't believe that there isn't a single thing you can think of... What about from the past, from before all these issues were bringing you down... what made you happy? Can you do any of those things now, if even on a small level?

Re: Yowza! new
      #287384 - 10/21/06 05:42 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Tinkerbelle... Your post contained alot of info that I have come across myself...for one, ayurvedic medicine, and your openness to examining other culture's offerings when it comes to health. I am not a big fan of the biomedical (Western) model, and have always sought out other avenues for health. Some have worked, some work for others. I also believe ANXIETY is a major obstacle to IBS, and to many is a great contributor. Maybe that's why more women are living with it...(an entirely new can of worms!) I know hormones play a big part too, but I commend you for coming forward. I think most people are very supportive on the site, and sometimes posts and info comes across as angry or self-righteous, but I don't think it's meant that way. Remember--we can't hear each other or see our body language which really limits in our interpretation of the words written down. These boards are always open for friendly discussion ...as many of us, myself included, genuinely value yours!!! Keep it coming!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: To Jordy !!!!!!!!!! new
      #287385 - 10/21/06 05:44 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Yes, I second that! We are here for you, Jordy. If there is anything we can conceiveably do to help you get "out there," just ask...I too have felt isolated and alienated. It doesn't have to be this way. Hugs!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

This is not exactly a first amendment issue (m) new
      #287406 - 10/21/06 08:47 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Heather established these message boards to discuss her diet. One of the main principles of the diet is that dairy is a huge trigger and should be avoided.

If ghee honestly doesn't bother you -- that's wonderful. BUT, for the vast majority of people, dairy is basically poison. Starting a new thread exhorting the virtues of a dairy product only causes confusion for people who are still new at the diet.

Yes, our bodies are all different and we all ultimately have to find our own way ... and yes, that might not be Heather's way. But that isn't the issue here. The issue is about respecting the boundaries of this board. And claiming that something is helpful for IBS when it is actually completely counter-productive to the guidelines of the diet is not respectful.

I do agree that anxiety can play a huge role in IBS -- this has been brought up many times before and it's something that Heather also covers in her books. But the triggers are triggers because they are hard on the gut. No matter how anxiety-free you are, this does not make the proteins in red meat any less difficult to digest. Some people might be lucky enough to handle these triggers -- most of us aren't.

And if you're one of those lucky ones, that's great -- and I'm glad that you're doing so much better. But, the IBS diet board just really isn't an appropriate place to talk about how helpful a dairy product is. If you perceive any hostility or criticism in the original responses, that's why.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: This is not exactly a first amendment issue (m) new
      #287423 - 10/22/06 01:43 AM
Tinkerbelle

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your response, I appreciate all the different perspectives that this post is inspiring.
I don't mean to confuse people who are new to the diet. In a way, I am talking to myself when I was new to the diet-when I really limited my food and calorie intake and lost a lot of weight because this board scared me into not eating all types of food. I am prone to anxiety so I take responsibility for the fear that I got from reading these posts... But what I was trying to do was open up different perspectives for people who may be reading this and losing weight or freaking out as I was.
From reading I have done, as I said before, Ghee is supposed to be really easy to digest and help people put on weight and also aide in vatta imbalance (anxiety, etc). So I was just putting it out there as an alternative... and apparently it has not lactose in it, however I guess it's still dairy but it doesn't need to be refrigerated...
Not everyone with IBS is totally lactose intollerant, or fat intollerant. We need fat in our diets to survive. I know this board does not promote many kinds of fats. My IBS was never bad enough that all fats made me sick... maybe at some point it was but now I just can't tolerate "bad" fats, like fried foods, lower qulaitiy oils, too much dairy (ghee not included), basically anything really heavy and greasy... but I do just great with Ghee, olive oils, avocados, and a small amount of cheese....
I guess my main point, after this long winded post, is just for people to listen to the diet, but also to listen to their bodies, and try things in small amounts to see how they react to it... we can't take anything 100 percent.. there is no cure all answer for anyone.... our bodies and experiences are our only truths.

Just fun?? new
      #287424 - 10/22/06 02:51 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

So you are saying that all I need to do is to have "FUN"?
I can skip the meditation, and yoga exercises, get up on my horse and go fishing, and just have "fun"?

Well ... you see if I did that I would have to quit work, leave the church, get rid of my wife, and abandon my children & grandchildren. Those are all stress points in my life, and I think that I would like to have them all around for a few more years. Those are the things that I love and enjoy.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Yowza! new
      #287438 - 10/22/06 09:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, I absolutely agree with you that anxiety over food makes our digestive problems worse. When we constantly fret over very single food choice and worry that we haven't figured out the perfect eating plan, I think we do make our IBS worse. There is a lot to be said for just trying foods - if your body hates them you'll hear about it.

At the same time, however, this Board exists to provide support and information for people who want to follow Heather's Eating For IBS Diet because we believe that approach provides a good shot at getting our IBS under enough control so we can live relatively normal, reasonably productive lives.

To me that means that when someone on the Board says that dairy or egg yolks or red meat or high fat foods or MSG or caffeine or alcohol is fine for her IBS - or even good for her IBS - someone else needs to speak up and say, "Not under this eating program" or "Not for most IBSers" or "This just killed me." I don't think there's anything wrong with the first person saying the food has helped her but I think if no one posts the EFI side of the matter then this Board loses its effectiveness and becomes simply another IBS Board where anything goes and all approaches are considered equally effective.

So if you post that ghee is great for your IBS and no one else says boo, I'm going to step up and say that fat is a brutal IBS trigger for most people and that under the EFI approach all dairy is considered a trigger whether it has lactose or not. I hope I'll do it respectfully and perhaps even with a little humor, but I know that won't always be the case. After all, someone has to have the misfortune to be the 93rd person that day who suggested eating dairy.

I'm pretty rigid about this but it's not because I think the EFI Diet is - or claims to be - the "only effective answer". I know there are people for whom the EFI approach doesn't work. I know there are people who report that other approaches have worked. But here on this Board I believe it's important to maintain focus, to re-emphasize that if someone is going to try the EFI approach she needs to try if full-on. Otherwise, how can she ever truly know whether it will work?

You see, while I agree with you that angsting over food makes our IBS worse, I don't think that anxiety is a function of following the EFI Diet - I think people bring that with them to the Diet. It's understandable for people with IBS. After all, food has been an enemy for a long, long time. Heather's approach doesn't create the anxiety. Rather it provides a framework to reduce the anxiety. The EFI Diet is simply not that complicated: avoid trigger foods, base each meal and snack on a food from the Soluble Fiber foods list; eat safe proteins; and eat as much Insoluble Fiber as you can handle. This is not rocket science.

So when I say people should skip the anxiety step and just try foods, I don't mean trigger foods. What I mean is don't agonize over whether an apple is too much IF or too little. Don't lie awake at night worrying about whether you should eat one tablespoon of cooked spinach or two. Don't fret over green grapes versus red grapes, oranges versus grapefruits, pears versus peaches, pasta versus rice, sweet potatoes versus white potatoes, Yukon Golds versus Russets. Just try stuff. If your body doesn't like it, you'll hear about it.

One final thought about anxiety. As wonderful as the Diet Board is, I also believe that for some people it's a huge source of anxiety. Anyone who is agonizing over food choices should probably stop reading the Boards for a while and go back to the Website outside the Boards and Heather's books for a refresher course on just how straightforward the EFI Diet principles are. It's just way too nitpicky in here sometimes.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Tinkerbelle-Anxiety new
      #287449 - 10/22/06 11:19 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello,

I have to agree with you that when I myself first read over this site I was scared out of my wits about eating anything - not what is probably intended but being an anxious person I then became afraid of any IF fibre and most fats. I finally had to force myself to introduce IF and good omega 3,6,9 oils. Getting better.
Anxiety - Horrible and crippling thing that anxiety can be - It gives me good hope to read that you are better at dealing with your anxiety and that I can come away from that awful feeling of lonliness and fear - thanks for sharing your story, Debbie IBS-A

Yuck! new
      #287500 - 10/23/06 03:02 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I looked up ghee ... it seems to be nasty stuff for those with ibs. "Ghee is composed almost entirely of saturated fat." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Yuck! new
      #287506 - 10/23/06 05:34 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

that may be true nutritionally but it has been shown to have healing prperties in ayurvedic medicine as tinkerbell has written, it is all a matter of perspective.

Re: Bump -nt- new
      #287573 - 10/23/06 01:08 PM
Abigail

--------------------

Thank you both... new
      #287675 - 10/24/06 08:00 AM
Jordy

It's nice to have support. I wish I could personally "be" with you for some good talking, hugging, and crying. We can't get that through emails or websites, unfortunately.

But your words really touched me. Bless you both. Bless all the people who continue to help encourage. Thank you for coming back and being here for people when they need support.

--------------------

Re: JORDY......!!!!!!!!!! new
      #287699 - 10/24/06 10:35 AM
Abigail

Jordy,

I'm so happy to hear from you, I been thinking and praying for you. I also wish we could personally show our concern, care, love and support to each other. I'm sending you lots of hugs and blessings your way. I know how lonely one can feel with our constant pain, but I know God is always there for me and for you too. I really don't understand God's way and purpose for allowing so much pain, but I trust that He will make all things work together for our good. My strong faith is the only thing that won't allow me to loose all hope and give up.

Anyway, I want you to know that I'M HERE FOR YOU and I REALLY DO CARE!!!!!! May God bless you today, tomorrow and always.

Lots of love,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Just fun?? new
      #287871 - 10/25/06 11:01 AM
Tinkerbelle

The point of using fun as stress relief is not to abandon your life and go join the circus or something like that! It's to add more fun into the life you already have... relaxation, enjoyment, humor, love, etc... stuff like that... sounds like you both love your family and also get stressed out from them. What ways can you alieviate the stress and up the fun with them and when alone?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 890 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review