All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
11 GOOD DAYS IN A ROW!! ...Now what?
      #286295 - 10/13/06 09:28 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have been feeling GREAT for 11 days now!! Whoo-hoo!! This is an unheard of record for me. I have never EVER gone so long without a symptom of some kind. I don't remember the last time I took my dicyclomine. I don't feel fat or bloated, and I have a BM every morning. I'm finding I can tolerate soy much better than before, too (with some help from Beano).

I started the EFI diet in July, and the only things I'm taking regularly are acacia (~2.5 teaspoons daily; still increasing), and Natural Calm (~2.5 teaspoons every night). I also drink 3 large cups of Yogi Teas Stomach Ease tea every day (after each meal). That REALLY does the trick for gas and digestion. I'm also halfway through the hypno CDs. I'm taking 150 mg of Effexor daily, and a probiotic 3x daily (leftover from my course of antibiotics). Strangely enough, my first week of "stability" coincided with my last week on the antibiotic! Hmmmm...!

So my question is, what now? Do I change anything? What are the criteria for being deemed "stable"? I'm still somewhat afraid of restaurants (there are only 1 or 2 I feel comfortable at) and eat mostly at home. I don't want to get overconfident, so I guess I'm just wondering what else I should be doing in order to continue stability. At the same time, I'm terrified of doing something that will throw me off!! Any thoughts?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Amazing new
      #286303 - 10/13/06 10:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I wish I could join ya, Lisa Marie! I hope it continues.

Are you going to continue the probiotic once you've gone through your "left over"? What brand do you use?

I'm not sure how to advice you as what to do now. I would also be a little afraid of messing up a good thing...but I also want more freedom with being able to go to a restaurant or a holiday party without fear....or toting food around and feeling like an outcast!

I'm not sure about whether or not you should increase the Acacia either. You are still on a pretty low dose....but maybe it's enough for you. What do you think about increasing Acacia and decreasing the magnesium? Or is that something you want to keep in your regiment?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Amazing new
      #286326 - 10/13/06 12:20 PM
Lisa Marie

I honestly can't remember what brand of probiotic I bought; I don't think it was anything special. And I'm not sure if I'll continue it or not. I guess after a week or two, I may stop taking it for awhile and see if it's really making a difference.

Yeah, I think my Acacia dose is still low. And I don't think I'm eating as much IF as I'd like, so I'm going to try to keep increasing it for awhile. As I'm able to eat more IF, I'm hoping I'll be able to decrease the NC. So I'm definitely still "playing" with things. It's just so amazing to feel so GOOD for a change!! I honestly think one of my biggest triggers was large meal sizes, so eating less, more often has really helped. My coworkers tend to give me funny looks when I load my 4 or 5 tupperware containers into the fridge every day!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: 11 GOOD DAYS IN A ROW!! ...Now what? new
      #286335 - 10/13/06 02:49 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I stabilized pretty quickly on Heather's diet. Next step for me was to experiment with different types of food. I wanted to try and get as much nourishment from what I ate, so I tried eating more and more IF while still keeping my tummy happy. I also started trying out different recipes on this site. Eating at restaurants used to be scary for me so I slowly got over that by going out, having the safest meal on the menu I could find, and realized I was ok.

I also worked on educating my friends and family about my diet, so that I could avoid pressure from them to eat bad things that may send me into an attack.

--------------------
Kat

I'd just enjoy it for a while, and then... new
      #286356 - 10/13/06 05:19 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

start to intro new foods one at a time and see how it goes. I wait several days between trying new things to be sure I know what each food does to me. I found that new foods are much easier for me to tolerate being stable.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#286361 - 10/13/06 05:57 PM
dolls

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: New Jersey

Good for you..can I ask where did you get the natural calm?

--------------------
I sell artist dolls

Lisa Marie...where/how are you? new
      #287943 - 10/25/06 06:43 PM
Jordy

I've been wondering about you. Hope you are doing well with the acacia, nc, and life in general!

--------------------

#287944 - 10/25/06 07:04 PM
dolls

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: New Jersey

Good for you, me too..I am so happy I suffered for one year didn't even go on vacation.Heather's fiber and probotics are helping me..FINALLY!!

--------------------
I sell artist dolls

I'm still here!! new
      #288051 - 10/26/06 01:17 PM
Lisa Marie

Hi Jordy! Thanks for thinking about me! I had a nasty 3-day migraine last week (those SUCK!), so I was out of touch with the world for awhile. And a computer was the last thing I wanted to look at! But I'm feeling better, and even managed to maintain my "symptom-free" status while I was sick! Yay! Things are going REALLY well! I'm slowly working my way up to 3 teaspoons/day of acacia, and still taking ~2.5 teaspoons of NC. I'm also still taking a probiotic three times daily. I've had a little bit of "expected" gas here and there when I eat more beans than I know I should, but I'm tolerating them SO Much better than I used to. So I don't count that as "bad"!

How are you doing? I've been sorting through what I missed over the last week and it looks like you're having C problems again? What's up??

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: I'm still here!! new
      #288105 - 10/26/06 06:27 PM
Jordy

So good to see you on the boards. Sorry about your migraine. Poor thing!

Do you remember what brand probiotic you use? Are you planning on increasing the Acacia any?

Yep, the C is real bad again.

--------------------

Re: Jumping in here.... new
      #288182 - 10/27/06 03:04 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to jump in here, and say way to go!!!! Keep it up. But also, be prepared. Don't get discouraged if you have setbacks. It takes a while to get the hang of things, and figure out what your bod tolerates best.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1473 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review