All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does everyone basically follow Heather's diet with a few variations?
      #286294 - 10/13/06 09:22 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, Does everyone basically follows Heather's diet with a few variations? If variations, which ones are yours? Thanks - IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does everyone basically follow Heather's diet with a few variations? new
      #286297 - 10/13/06 09:31 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yup, pretty much. The only thing she considers "safe" that I really have to avoid is oats. I also don't consume very much soy. I use rice milk instead of soy milk. But I eat tofu fairly often - you should check out the Tofu recipe I posted on the Recipe Board a few days ago. It's what I'm having for lunch today, and it's DELICIOUS!! It's from "Garden of Vegan", which you probably have...?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Yup, pretty much new
      #286298 - 10/13/06 09:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'd say the only thing I really eat that the diet doesn't condone is red meat every now and then... and I will confess to the occasional soda. But other than that, I behave myself pretty well - avoiding trigger foods, etc.

I eat MOSTLY insoluble fiber foods, eating a bare minimum amount of solubles with meals - I've found that focusing on getting tons of IF (not forgetting the SF, but still...) agrees with my system much better than eating mostly SF. That's actually what the diet is all about: finding that balance between as much IF as you can tolerate, and enough SF to keep your guts happy.

Yep new
      #286332 - 10/13/06 12:58 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My variations are that I tolerate venison and pork. I can also eat fried chicken and fries retribution. Oh, and Baked Lays do not sit well with me but Pringles are just fine.

There are also two varieties of pizza that don't hurt me. Domino's works with me, as does a local joint called Fricano's where my folks live.

I also use real butter once in awhile.

As for fruits and veggies, apple cider is my friend and so are green beans and raw carrots.

I am IBS-D, currently very stable.

#286333 - 10/13/06 01:07 PM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

I think the only things I ever cheat with are small amounts of chocolate, and if it's someone's birthday party, I will have a verrryyy tiny slice of birthday cake. I love birthday cake, and as good as Heather's cakes (and other safe cakes) are, nothing will ever taste as good as the deliciousness of buttercream icing. But I will only do those things if I've been very stable. If I've had an IBS attack recently (or have some big event coming up that I can't afford to be sick for), I am very very very strict with the diet.

#286334 - 10/13/06 02:36 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I follow it pretty closely. Mostly SF, as much IF as possible (more so veggies and fruits, not so much whole grains), lots of safe meat & protein sources, very little cheating and only done so in small quantity after a very safe meal. I take Acacia and drink peppermint and ginger teas, and sometimes use the peppermint caps.

--------------------
Kat

#286340 - 10/13/06 03:26 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Not too many variations, personally... I'm learning my lesson! I've found that the more closely I've adhered to Heather's guidelines, the better I do with D avoidance.

Splenda is one thing that bothers a number of other IBS'ers, but it doesn't bother me at all.

OTOH, I can't eat tomatoes--not fresh, not in a sauce, no way, nohow--though they are safe for a lot of others.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Yes. new
      #286343 - 10/13/06 03:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Once I got stable I found I can cheat with a little Coke and wine (unless my tummy is feeling wobbly) and for some strange reason popcorn has never bothered me despite the high IF. But other than that it's no triggers or irritants and lots of SF with as much IF as I can tolerate (I have trouble with whole grains but do fine with fruits and veggies).

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#286348 - 10/13/06 04:18 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago (a little more) and found this site three weeks ago, while having a horrible attack.

I am IBS-C and try to follow Heather's diet, however it's so weird... While I was having the attack (which ended the beginning of this week, btw) even SF foods seemed to trigger me, I was in a lot of pain, I had bloating and a lot of gas and I was only eating plain rice (occasionally brown, but overcooked) and some italian bread with jam or jelly, oatmeal with almond or rice milk (I hate how soy milk tastes, yuk) and sugar, fruits only in baby food or as cooked squash/pumpkin or from applesauce, and crackers and pretsels and only carots as veggies (I don't like the rest of the SF vegies).No whole grains (but the oatmeal, but I also mixed acacia in it or took it with fibercon before the acacia had arrived)... Now that it's over, I tried to eat some cheese and yogurt and they didn't trigger me. I don't know what the deal is... and I think I have too little data yet to tell you how the diet works for me.

At least I stopped loosing weight like crazy. I am only two pounds underweight now, which is good, given the rate I was loosing weight before -- a pound a day (and that without having BM's).

I haven't done variations of the diet yet, because I still don't know what I can or cannot tolerate.

Jerry, IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1057

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review