All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Carbonated drinks?
      #286247 - 10/12/06 09:02 PM
andreww

Reged: 01/17/06
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I thought drinking a Coke was an old wive's remedy for upset stomach. So, why then is it bad for us?

Also, if you can help. I did pretty good today, then ate dinner. All seemed final until a delayed gas attack a couple hours later. Is that normal?

Here's what I ate today:

Lunch:
Plain Pasta
Zucchini

OK!

Dinner:
Baked Pita Chips
Red Beans & Rice
Soy Vanilla Ice Cream w/Honey

Late night GAS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Carbonated drinks? new
      #286248 - 10/12/06 09:25 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quotes are from the trigger list

"Carbonation in soda pop and mineral water can cause bloating and cramps." Soda (i.e. Coke or Pepsi) also has caffeine and "caffeine is a GI stimulant and should be avoided, especially in higher doses."

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#286259 - 10/13/06 06:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have no problems with carbonated water but I cannot drink any carbonated drinks that contain HFCS. Coke contains with HFCS.

I would suspect the red beans in your dinner as the possible gas producer. And if you have problems with fructose then honey is another suspect.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#286275 - 10/13/06 07:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In my house, the old wive's tale was 7-Up ("You like it, it likes you") or ginger ale. Those don't have the caffeine that Coke does, but they do still have bubbles (gassy) and HFCS (IBS dangerous).

As for your late gas attack, I'd agree with the beans and maybe the soy in the ice cream, but you also didn't eat much prior to dinner. I find I do best if I eat more frequently even if it's just a little bit at a time. Otherwise it's like my tummy forgets what it's supposed to do with food.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#286389 - 10/13/06 10:22 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Dude you ate so many beans for dinner! Soy always messes with my tum (it's a BEAN and one of the hardest beans to digest!), and red beans and rice seem notorious for producing gas! Also, soda is bad for you on every level. Have you ever read the coke vs. water fact sheet? It is soooooo interesting... I will post it here...

COKE VS WATER new
      #286390 - 10/13/06 10:23 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of
sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, & difficulty focusing on the computer screen or a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by
79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car
accident.
2 . You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.
The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake Thirty minutes
before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8 . To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The
Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield. For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid
also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?

The source new
      #286402 - 10/14/06 05:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could you please provide the URL to the source of the information about water? Thanks.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: COKE VS WATER new
      #286411 - 10/14/06 07:02 AM
andreww

great reply! thanks for the info.

wow, so by that logic, you might as well drink cyanide. the results will just be a little quicker.

Re: The source new
      #286413 - 10/14/06 07:06 AM
andreww

True. A source would be good, as that could be entirely made up.

I've heard that drinking too much water can actually cause problems, especially so if you're a runner. Not that I have anything to worry about there.

#286424 - 10/14/06 08:34 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Next time you have beans or soy products, try Beano. It should help prevent gas from these foods. I don't think I'd ever eat that much in one meal though, beans + soy. Maybe break it up throughout the day.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2326

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review