All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: for Lumiere new
      #286994 - 10/18/06 08:38 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well, about Digestive Enzymes, I just tried taking a dairy enzyme supplement (not just lactase but also the other things: protease, celulase, etc) and it does help (I am not lactose intollerant, however dairy is a trigger for me... it makes me sick... but I still love it).

I'd say try them and you will know for yourself. Are they expensive? Maybe I should try them myself...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Lumiere here! new
      #287005 - 10/18/06 09:46 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Hi...I bought the Multi-Enzyme Formula from GNC because I had a friend recommend digestive enzymes to me. There are 10 different enzymes in the bottle I buy ($17 for 120 capsules) I save 20% if I buy from them during the first week of every month (gold card membership) I don't normally like to support chains, franchises but I live in an area where small independent HFS are a rarity!
Regarding the question about whether they are worth it, I cannot believe the improvement in my health...and neither can my husband or friends. I am still getting used to not having to cut my social dates short, or wake up feeling nauseated and bloated every morning...The Primal Defense has made every morning a "regular" morning, much to my relief! I still take acacia--I just add it to my oatmeal, or my hot meal at lunch or dinner. The enzymes and the probiotics seem to work together, so I would definitely recommend both. It's not just to aid in your IBS, people without IBS take them too. I think with all of the toxins and pollutants in our environment, esp. in regard to our food sources, I think our digestive systems can be very compromised. The enzymes and probiotics can restore some of that...I always prefer the natural method because I don't always think doctors have all the answers. I recently had a colonoscopy done (nothing found) and the GI asked me about the prescription he wrote for me, and I replied "I haven't needed it...I started digestive enzymes." He looked at me rather shocked that I haven't needed immodium or anything, but said "If it's working for you, great...continue!"

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: for Lumiere new
      #287006 - 10/18/06 09:50 PM
Lumiere

I was IBS-D...never thought it would change. I would have D every day, sometimes more...gas , major bloat and always anxious over an attack in public. Not fun! So, yes...Digestive Enzymes have been incredible for me...you take them before your meal (no waiting to eat) on an empty stomach. I didn't think they'd work (skeptic here) I was pleasantly surprised! I still can't believe it!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: Lumiere here! new
      #287008 - 10/18/06 11:15 PM
Jeio

Thank you for the clarification, very useful.

The only thing I am worried about: doesn't taking the enzymes make your organism lazy in the sense that it would stop producing its own enzymes in the quantities it used to, because you are introducing these digestive enzymes...

Thanks,
Jerry, IBS-C

Re: Enzyme Worries new
      #287056 - 10/19/06 09:23 AM
Lumiere

First, we humans begin digestion through our mouths, and most people (myself included) never chew the 30-50 times it takes to make the food a liquid so it's digested properly. Second, although we begin digestion in the mouth and also have some enzymes in the stomach, it's the pancreas that does most of the enzyme work. Our bodies do indeed have enzymes within to help break down food, however, enzyme function diminishes with age. By taking the enzymes, we can allow our pancreas to rest, repair and return to a normal level of functioning.
Cooking food destroys all the natural enzymes in our food--raw, uncooked food has them, but few of us can adhere to a raw food diet. By adding the digestive enzymes to our diet, we can assimilate our nutrients better. Some people argue that our pancreas has a predetermined amount of enzymes...I don't know if this is correct. Once you take the enzymes for a while, who knows...you may be able to stop as your pancreas is permitted to "heal." I prefer to take them as I eat quickly, don't always eat the "perfect" foods, and cannot eat raw foods regularly. Try the site http://pages.prodigy.net/naturedoctor/enzymes.html
There are some more detailed answers in clear language...

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: trapped gas suddently appears? new
      #287084 - 10/19/06 11:32 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Yeah, I have major bloating and gas out of no where. I am newly diagnosed and still trying to get my symptoms under better control. Mornings are the worst for me and I have been ULTRA stressed out lately due to all the medical stuff I have been going through.

Re: Lumiere here! new
      #287087 - 10/19/06 11:54 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How much Acacia do you take?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I saw the GNC enzymes need to be refrigerated...what to do while out?nt new
      #287099 - 10/19/06 12:14 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

One more thing...are the enzymes like horse pills? or like acidophilis?nt new
      #287103 - 10/19/06 12:26 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: One more thing...are the enzymes like horse pills? or like acidophilis?nt new
      #287126 - 10/19/06 02:12 PM
Jeio

My dairy enzyme is like a normal capsule. I suppose the GNC's are the same (long but not horsepillish)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1549 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review