All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flat Coca Cola - anyone else find it's super-helpful?
      #285619 - 10/08/06 02:38 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

It's well known that if you have a stomach bug or similar, or feel sick, etc, flat coke can make you feel better, BUT, with it containing so much caffeine I'm always very suprised when it helps me out so much with my IBS.

For instance, I start a new job tomorrow, and the anxiety has had me feel pretty awful since about Thursday - starting with D, but for the last couple of days being mainly cramps, nausea, chaotic tums and bizarre BMs (TMI = more than normal, going a couple of times a day, big, hard poops followed by sticky ones, accompanied with some gas & nausea that eases each time I go ).

I don't want to take any Immodium, as the more I can get out of me today the less there is to mess me up tomorrow morning on the way to work, So, other than eating super-safetly, which I have been doing, there's not much I can do. And the only thing that helps me? Yup, flat coke.

It eases nausea instantly, and the effects stay for a few hours, it calms my turbulent tum, and it stays calm for even longer. And it helps quite a bit with pain too.

It's just so bizarre, I had to share it! I'm not talking about drinking huge amounts by the way - a few mouthfuls each time. When I go overboard and drink a small bottle, for instance, I pay for it with extra gas & more frequent BMs, so it's a very careful science...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flat Coca Cola - anyone else find it's super-helpful? new
      #285896 - 10/10/06 10:16 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I always though I was weird since I drink it that way. Sometimes if my stomach is hurting the night before I will open a can of coke and set it on my nightstand. The next day I pour it into a sippy cup, remember it is warm and flat, and sip on it that morning.
It helps me so much since I feel that I am getting a little sugar in me and calms my stomach so that I can hopefully get crackers and rice down.

#285947 - 10/10/06 04:26 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I remember buying just coke syrup at the bar to help with the hangovers! Thank goodness those days of my mis-spent youth are gone.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#286562 - 10/15/06 03:55 PM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

I can't even do "flat cola" it's the caffeine that is really the trigger for me.

You're right! It's the sugar that does it. new
      #286567 - 10/15/06 04:58 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I agree, it works great. I do flat Sprite because I can't handle the caffiene in Coke, but you're right, it works great to calm the stomach and helps get rid of the "burbles" too. You know why? Sugar is a natural anti-spasmodic.

Try it for hiccups too-- sugar works on the diaphram the same way as on the stomach.

I hear ya on the tricky science part! Too little, and no help at all. Too much and bad effects!! They do say the only difference between medecine and poison is dosage! I agree!

~nelly~

Source new
      #286570 - 10/15/06 05:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You made the interesting comment that "Sugar is a natural anti-spasmodic".

Can you give me the source of your information?

Thanks.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review