All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Well, it's flare up time! Need some advice...
      #285522 - 10/07/06 05:46 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

After a year and a half, I reconneted with this network a week ago. Now, It almost seems like a premonition to me.

The last three days have been hell. I'm having a really bad flare up. I have been stable for the last year, which means I would get a D-attack once every three months, these attacks have always the same pattern: 1) I will get a full blown d-attack where I will empty my bowel in one or two shots 2) I immediatly switch to the BTC diet and its I get stable again in less than 24 hours. These attacks were always related to abusing a trigger food. I usually eat mostly safe foods.

Last tuesday, I had what I would call a chinese torture version of a D-C attack. I think I went like 6 times in the morning and the stool was alternating between pudding-d and almost form, but no liquid. Switch to the BTC diet. Went again tuesday night. Yesterday morning, d-attack again. Barely got in and out of work. Did not go last night, but got another d-attack this morning. I took one Immodium for the first time in a year, but I was desperate for a solution.

There seems to be no paticular reasons for these attacks. Except maybe stress or just being plain tired. I have been looking for ways to diminish my stress-level, but I am unsatisfied so far with my progress in that department.

I don't know what to do right know...any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, it's flare up time! Need some advice... new
      #285523 - 10/07/06 06:38 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

aaaawww.. sounds like you're going thru hell right now.. What are you doing to try to be comfortable and relax? I will curl up in my chair with a heating pad, sip ginger ale, and read a book, do cross-stitch, and watch tv.

When I need to BTC, I strictly eat applesauce (no sugar added), mashed white potatoes (a pinch of garlic salt and italian seasoning - just a pinch so it looks like something is there), plain angel hair pasta, and honey combs. I'll mix orange gatorade with water (3/4 water, 1/4 gatorade) - that way I'm getting some potassium. Lots of water... about a gallon a day.

From what my dr says, stress is only a piece of the puzzle with IBS.

What are you eating with BTC?

--Val

#285529 - 10/07/06 07:11 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Well, certainly not Ginger Ale! All soft drinks are potential triggers because of the bubble (Heather's book).

On BTC, I eat pretty much the same as you. Mashed potatoes and carrots, plain pasta, rice, apple sauce, bread. I've been an IBSer for a while now, but its the first time the BTC does not work after a day. So, that's why I'm looking for other factors... Because I don't know what is happening right now. Anybody have been in my situation?

#285534 - 10/07/06 07:30 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Even people with IBS get intestinal viruses (doesn't seem fair, does it?), so it's possible that's what is going on here. If so, it should run its course soon. If it doesn't, you can see your doctor. The last time I had a tummy bug they gave me Tylenol with codeine. It worked wonders for the horrible cramping and it shut down the D completely.

If you are having an IBS flare, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. You could try making sure you're only eating the really, really simple BTC stuff (like applesauce, white bread, white rice) if you aren't already. And if you don't have reflux, try some peppermint or ginger tea and see if that helps calm things down.

I agree with Valerie that you need to be getting some fluid, but if you're sensitive to HFCS watch out for that in things like ginger ale. Fruit juices can be problematic, too, because of their high fructose content. There's a recipe on the Recipe Board for a homemade sports drink (web page). It does have orange juice in it which is high in fructose, but the orange juice is really diluted so it might be worth a try if you really want a sports drink type beverage. I'd probably stick with the herbal teas, as much water as you can get down, and some chicken broth - it's very soothing hot and you get some sodium to replace what you're losing.

HTH. Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#285535 - 10/07/06 07:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Professor,

I have had similar experiences. Usually when I make a food related mistake I can gain control by falling back to my basic safe diet (oatmeal, rice, chicken & carrots). Within 2-3 days I can get myself stable. However, sometimes but not often I run into situations where I cannot identify a food trigger and it can take me 2-3 weeks to get things under control. Mental stress is one of these types of triggers. However physical stress such as a viral or bacterial infection (e.g. a cold or a stomach bug) is another. The body is constantly being bombarded by bugs which can activate the immune system. Sometimes when this happens it occurs at a sub-clinical level and we don't notice significant physical symptoms. I suspect that such events can trigger a prolonged IBS attack that can last a significant length of time until the immune system is back to normal. Is this a possibility?

PS – I found Cheecha Krackels at Sobey's. They are great but I do have to be careful because some of the flavoured contain trigger ingredients for me. Thank you for the tip.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#285546 - 10/07/06 08:32 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Have you started any new meds,switched brands of food,etc? Also you say you eat the same things but really look close cause sometimes I forget even at the small things. Feel better

Re: Professor new
      #285548 - 10/07/06 08:37 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I agree with Sand - it does sound like an intestinal virus. In addition to what you're already eating, I'd add some fat-free chicken broth, especially in combo with the rice. If you're losing electrolytes because of the D and not replenishing them, you'll just get more D or dehydrated. Also, are you drinking peppermint tea? Try some ginger tea too.

I hope you're feeling better soon. You've been doing great on the diet, from what I heard, so I'm sorry you're having this problem now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1752 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review