All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how do you stop a flare up?
      #285482 - 10/06/06 04:37 PM
moro1126

Reged: 10/06/06

Hi. My 14 year old daughter has IBS and has been following Heather's strict diet and we have been using your wonderful recipes since June. She is very careful in the school cafeteria usually only eating an approved sandwich and water. Today due to a head cold she got chicken noodle soup and the symptoms have flared up. She has been sick since noon today--every 30 minutes. I cannot find in Heather's book the best way to beat the flare up. Should she eat or not, should i give her medicine or let it run the course. Please let me know what you have found helpful. I understand advice on the boards does not take the place of my doctors advice. Thank you in advance for helping this worried mom!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how do you stop a flare up? new
      #285485 - 10/06/06 05:00 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

What are her symptoms? If she's having D, I'd give her some immodium (I only take a half a pill and it stops the D without making me C). Feed her only soluble fiber until her symptoms resolve. Give her lots of peppermint tea (unless reflux is a problem). I also find chamomile tea to be soothing. If there's pain involved, a heating pad can be good. Otherwise, it's just a waiting process until all of the bad stuff is out of her system and her intestines have a chance to calm themselves down.

For future reference, chicken noodle soup is usually made with egg noodles which can be a problem.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#285489 - 10/06/06 05:39 PM
moro1126

JJBean thank you so very much! I gave her a pill. She does not have to worry about the C only the D. I will follow the book for the fiber portion. She keeps her diet very clean and she thought Chick Soup was okay but she now knows differently. I appreciate your response.

#285490 - 10/06/06 05:56 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Does she maybe have flu instead of just a cold? With IBS it would be hard to tell. Hope she is feeling better soon.

#285491 - 10/06/06 05:59 PM
moro1126

No she is on the tail end of a cold and was checked earlier in the week. For sure it is a cold..

#285508 - 10/06/06 08:29 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well, though I am not officially diagnosed, what I find helps when I get "sick" has been to resort to boiled chicken and rice. I seem to be able to do soy sauce just fine. I eat a lot of that all mixed together and applesauce (don't mix the applesauce, that is separate, I realized it might look like I mixed it in, but that was like the side dish).

Edited by chupie (10/06/06 08:30 PM)

#285509 - 10/06/06 08:50 PM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Are you familiar with the "Breaking the Cycle" part of Heather's diet? It is here: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle (It's basically the same thing the other people on here have been saying.)

For some reason, when I've been sick constantly, Rice Krisipies are the only thing I can eat. Not only can I tolerate them, but I swear they make some of the pain go away for me. (They do have a very small amount of high fructose corn syrup in them which I suppose is a problem for people who are very sensitive to it. But sometimes the generic grocery store brand Rice "Krispies", and also the organic rice cereals that can be found at health food stores, usually will not have the HFCS.)

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

#285532 - 10/07/06 07:25 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Don't count eating Chicken Soup! Chicken noodle soup is safe if it is not 'cream of' chicken soup, and has no msg. You can make this at home easily by buying some msg free chicken broth. Stuff at the school cafeteria may have be a 'cream of' version, and most likely had msg.

Also, when sick with a cold, IBS symptoms can get worse (I find my stomach is a lot more sensitive when I'm tired or sick). I second the point about checking cold medication, I never take any simply because it causes my IBS to flare up. If she has a headache/sinus ache then Tylenol is ok.

Also "She does not have to worry about the C only the D". When taking Imodium, it is possible for someone who is IBS-D to become C for a few days. Make sure to tell her to only take as much Imodium as she needs to stop the D, and if she notices that she's C for a few days, do not take any Imodium until needed.

Hope she feels better soon,

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review