All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Emergency--Please help
      #285474 - 10/06/06 04:26 PM
moro1126

Reged: 10/06/06

Hi. My 14 year old daughter has IBS and has been following Heather's strict diet and we have been using your wonderful recipes since June. She is very careful in the school cafeteria usually only eating an approved sandwich and water. Today due to a head cold she got chicken noodle soup and the symptoms have flared up. She has been sick since noon today--every 30 minutes. I cannot find in Heather's book the best way to beat the flare up. Should she eat or not, should i give her medicine or let it run the course. Please let me know what you have found helpful. I understand advice on the boards does not take the place of my doctors advice. Thank you in advance for helping this worried mom!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Emergency--Please help new
      #285502 - 10/06/06 06:50 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Best course of action is to stick to the safest of foods - BRAT - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. Peppermint tea will be helpful too, to stop the spasms. If the diarrhea is too bad, give her a single imodium (half a dose), and that should stop the immediate attack. Hope she feels better!

#285524 - 10/07/06 06:45 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

How is your daughter doing today? She should try not to have an empty stomach. As that in itself may cause a flare up of nausea/dry heaves. I agree, stick to BRAT diet.

Hope she is feeling better...

#285525 - 10/07/06 06:48 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I agree witih BRAT - totally empty stomach does not always help. Yes, check with the doctor - good thing to do. I really send my prayers to your daughter as I understand what it is like to be in her shoes and in yours! Debbie IBS-C
Let us know how she is doing!

#285527 - 10/07/06 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You might also check any medicines she has been taking for her cold. Some of them - like Nyquil - contain artificial sweeteners that can be very hard on her tummy.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#285547 - 10/07/06 08:36 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Hi.I would contact her doc if it becomes where she can't keep food in but encourage her to eat otherwise. Its important I have been told even if she doesn't want to. She has to keep her body nurished for it to heal and that with enough fluid. Hope she feels better soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review