All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bentyl
      #285380 - 10/05/06 11:19 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

For those who have or are taking this, have you had side effects from it? I was just put on it yesterday. I only have to take it when I know I might be eating something that will upset my interstines.

Thanks, Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bentyl new
      #285411 - 10/06/06 07:16 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I used to take this, but thanks to the diet and hypno, I haven't had to take it for quite some time! It does, however, work very well for pain/cramps, bloating, and gas.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#285418 - 10/06/06 08:38 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I don't remember if it helped me very much but it did make me sleepy. It worked better if I took it every day, then I didn't notice the side effects as much. It was like an Immodium only not as strong.

#285715 - 10/08/06 10:34 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I have taken Bentyl (dicyclomine) for the past several years only when I have extreme pain and spasming. (I was doing really good - had gone a month with no attacks but just had a bad bout.) My doctor originally prescribed it in 20mg but I found that that dosage would take care of all my pain but really incapacitate me. So she cut the dose in half so sometimes if I have a little pain or any pain at work I can take one, dull the pain, still do my job, but not be a space cadet. Plus I really shouldn't drive on 20mg. Specifically its side effects are dry mouth, blurred vision. And in my experience it has not been a good idea to use this medication and drink. (Mind you, I rarely drink so I am a lightweight that way and only had one drink when I had the antispasmodic in my system but mixing the two really knocked me out cold.) I would say that I treat bentyl like a pain killer. It's good for the occasional flare up but you need to get to the bottom of the cause of the pain. Plus, antispasmodics wipe out all nerve function and thus you don't have the normal nerve function to run your intestines. So I usually have diarrhea the next day. (Sometime correct me if that is incorrect.) Best of luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review