All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about oil and vinager
      #284970 - 10/02/06 07:53 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I posted that I use oil and vinager on my salads. Some people on this board said they couldn't eat that, because it gave them flare-ups. I am wondering why oil and vinager would give you a flare-up?

Thanks, Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The oil! new
      #284972 - 10/02/06 07:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You shouldn't be eating oil like that... the fat content is way too high, even in tiny amounts. Fat is a HUGE trigger for IBS.

Re: Question about oil and vinager new
      #284973 - 10/02/06 08:10 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

For me ... any extra oil that I consume besides the minute amount that I cook with just causes my insides to slide right out. I have started to grill and use even less oils or oil sprays to cook with. Now, I do not know why, but oil just causes me to head to the john, and I would rather stay away from both. Hope that helps some. Sorry I can not be more scientific.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

See ... we need to listen to Atomic Rose !! - nt - new
      #284976 - 10/02/06 08:12 PM
Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#284988 - 10/03/06 05:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I use olive oil - a monounsaturated oil - with my vinager. However, I keep the ratio of oil to vinegar quit low usually 1/4 oil and 3/4 vinegar or lemon juice. I only put about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of the dressing on my salad. Most of it ends up on the bottom of the salad bowl anyway.
Quote:

Your body needs healthy fats in order to function. Keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc. Because all fats, even heart-healthy choices, are still potential IBS triggers, please follow the Irritable Bowel Syndrome dietary guidelines detailed in How to Eat for IBS

web page

Having said that sometimes I cannot tolerate salads at all even without a dressing. When I can eat salad I usually squeeze a bit of lemon on it without any oil .. Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#284993 - 10/03/06 06:07 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I read your earlier post (I believe about shrimp) and was going to write exactly what everyone else did. No way I could tolerate a sald with oil&vinegar. Even now that I've been stable for almost a year, I stay away from salads and salad dressing. If I do eat a salad, it's with hardly any dressing/oil on top (like 1/4 tsp) and the salad portion I would have is tiny, and only at the end of a safe meal.

Also like others I stay away from oil in other areas of my eating. I substitute for oil with applesauce when I'm baking, use Pam spray when needed, and avoid oily restauarant foods.

As for shrimp, I can actually eat a large portion of shrimp and not feel a thing.

--------------------
Kat

ROFL!! new
      #284995 - 10/03/06 06:47 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not being a know-it-all, I swear. LOL Fat is just one of those universally bad triggers, that's all.

#285010 - 10/03/06 08:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can eat salad and use oil and vinegar on it. For me, the trick is to not use too much oil on the salad, eat the salad at dinner so I've already got a lot of food in me from the rest of the day, make sure dinner itself is low-fat, eat my salad after at least half of my SF base, and not do it at all on days when my tummy is feeling not quite right.

As AtomicRose says, fat is a universal trigger, so if you're eating this and not getting stable, I'd definitely cut out both the salads and the oil until you're doing better. (I wasn't able to handle salads at all until I'd been on the EFI Diet for about 6 months.) If you're stable and able to handle this, great - just keep in mind that raw veggies and especially oil can be tough on days when your tummy isn't happy with you.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sorry ... new
      #285011 - 10/03/06 08:07 AM
Double J

I didn't mean to imply anything except that you have an extensive knowledge of ibs, you share it freely to all of our benfits, and we (I) should listen when you do. I am grateful for your posts. Please do not stop!!!

--------------------

Re: Question about oil and vinager
      #285125 - 10/03/06 10:23 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Thanks for all your answers. I do not use a lot of oil on my salad. As it is I am not able to eat any vegatables except cooked squash. Anything else sends me to the bathroom. So this is why I still eat salad, (I stopped eating romaine, and went to iceberg, because of stomach upset).

It gets quite depressing when people ask you what you eat, and when you say not much, they say you poor thing. I have turned down dinner invites because of the place they want to go to, I can not eat that food. I hate having to explain all the time why I am unable to eat something. I have eliminated certain foods and then tried and placed them back into my diet, but the same problems occured, so I do not eat them anymore.

Does anyone else feel scared to try a certain food again, because you don't want to go through all the pain it causes again?

I am seeing a gastrologist tomorrow again to discuss why I am unable to eat so many foods. I am going to ask for a food allergy test and gluten test too.

Sorry to go on. Thanks for listening.

Karen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review