All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
hungry ALL THE TIME!!
      #284839 - 10/02/06 05:32 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Why am I hungry all the time? I'll eat a decent size lunch (a sandwich, light chips, and maybe a few bite size chocolates) and 2 hours later, I'm so hungry, I start to get sick! I've been reading the daily food/exercise logs in the fitness forum and I think to myself, "How can these people eat so little and not feel like they are starving!" I've tried eating lots of protein, drinking water, my thyroid has been check...nothing helps. Could it be that since I'm IBS-D any food that I eat goes through my system fast, leaving me hungry? I don't give into the hunger because if I did, I would be huge. So I end up being hungry most of the time, which I know is bad for IBS. Does anyone else here have this problem?

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hungry ALL THE TIME!! new
      #284842 - 10/02/06 05:35 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

not to scare you, but have you been tested for parasites? that is the classic symtom, hunger despite eating lots. we can all get them very easily, so you may want to look into that.

#284845 - 10/02/06 05:51 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

You may need more calories. I need to gain weight but my calorie needs are so high regardless. I loose on a reg diet. Have you tracked it along with are you at a healthy weight?Maybe post a sample full day.

#284847 - 10/02/06 06:29 AM
lissylou73

How do you get tested for parasites? I was told by a clerk at my local health food store that I may have a yeast problem. How do I get checked for that?

I keep count of my calories each day. For example, I ate around 2000 calories yesterday. I can't seem to lose weight, so I try to keep control of my calories. But even if I eat something high in calories, I'm still hungry all the time. I don't know what to do. I've even tried taking appetite suppressants (I know...bad) and they do nothing. In fact, some of them have made me even more hungry

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#284864 - 10/02/06 08:27 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hmmm - are you getting fiber and protein at every meal? While eating starchy and sweet stuff is IBS safe, it's not very filling and satisfying by itself. Something like vegetable soup might be a good addition to the lunch you listed - low in calories, but a lot of volume and nutrition and safe IF.

Plus, I'm always extra-hungry in the fall. Don't know if you're wired like I am, but less sun plus cold weather makes me *starved*! Did you feel this hungry in the summer?

I would definitely go to your doctor and ask about testing for parasites if this goes on for very long. For the moment, concentrating on protein and fiber and reducing the amount of sugary stuff in your diet might help prevent that crashing feeling.

--AC

#284873 - 10/02/06 09:28 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I have to say this happens to me too. I get ravenous, and slightly nauseated even though I've been eating. It is definitely connected somehow to being unstable. I sometimes wonder if I am mistaking the feeling in my gut for hunger and it's really something else, but it does feel like totally being starved and yet a little different. Not rumbly but like your stomach just goes entirely tight. Hard to explain.

#284890 - 10/02/06 11:48 AM
lissylou73

The only fiber I get is the kind in rice, bread, noodles, etc. The only protein I get is from the meat on my sandwich or from the soy milk in my cereal. I don't really eat any veggies and the only fruit I get is from baby food. But I was even hungry like this back in the low-carb/high protein diet phases I went through. Is the parasite test an embarrassing stool sample? I've mentioned this (the hunger) to my doctors many times, but they blow me off and blame my work schedule (midnights). Yet they tell me I need to lose about 10 pounds. However, I have always felt this way, even when I had a day job.

chupie,
I know how you feel. I've never been pregnant, but it seems like morning sickness. If I let myself get too hungry, I'll get sick. I was even like this 16 years ago in high school! Maybe it's just the way I am??

I'm so frustrated though! I figured eating 2 servings of rice for lunch would be filling. Or a big sandwich with chips or a huge bowl of noodles would do the trick, but no!

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#284915 - 10/02/06 02:32 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

exactly what i was going to ask. Is there a chance you're pregnant?? Something to think about. I remember I was always ravenous (especially in the first trimester-even before finding out I was pregnant) and many times my blood sugar dropped from not eating and would get really nauseated and would even sometimes dry heave.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#284940 - 10/02/06 06:06 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you get tested for parasites by your doctor via a stool sample, or you can do an herbal parasite cleanse that you can buy at the HFS, paragone by renewlife is a good one. Plus even if you don't have parasites it is sometimes good to do a cleanse, but get checked by your doc first since a cleanse or anti parasites are sometimes both hard on the system and tummy.

#284984 - 10/02/06 11:14 PM
lissylou73

No chance of pregnancy...besides I've had this problem for a very long time. I go to my GI doctor next week. I'll talk to him about this again. He'll probably run some bloodwork that will come back normal and that'll be the end of it.

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2655 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review