All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
hungry ALL THE TIME!!
      #284839 - 10/02/06 05:32 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Why am I hungry all the time? I'll eat a decent size lunch (a sandwich, light chips, and maybe a few bite size chocolates) and 2 hours later, I'm so hungry, I start to get sick! I've been reading the daily food/exercise logs in the fitness forum and I think to myself, "How can these people eat so little and not feel like they are starving!" I've tried eating lots of protein, drinking water, my thyroid has been check...nothing helps. Could it be that since I'm IBS-D any food that I eat goes through my system fast, leaving me hungry? I don't give into the hunger because if I did, I would be huge. So I end up being hungry most of the time, which I know is bad for IBS. Does anyone else here have this problem?

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hungry ALL THE TIME!! new
      #284842 - 10/02/06 05:35 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

not to scare you, but have you been tested for parasites? that is the classic symtom, hunger despite eating lots. we can all get them very easily, so you may want to look into that.

#284845 - 10/02/06 05:51 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

You may need more calories. I need to gain weight but my calorie needs are so high regardless. I loose on a reg diet. Have you tracked it along with are you at a healthy weight?Maybe post a sample full day.

#284847 - 10/02/06 06:29 AM
lissylou73

How do you get tested for parasites? I was told by a clerk at my local health food store that I may have a yeast problem. How do I get checked for that?

I keep count of my calories each day. For example, I ate around 2000 calories yesterday. I can't seem to lose weight, so I try to keep control of my calories. But even if I eat something high in calories, I'm still hungry all the time. I don't know what to do. I've even tried taking appetite suppressants (I know...bad) and they do nothing. In fact, some of them have made me even more hungry

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#284864 - 10/02/06 08:27 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hmmm - are you getting fiber and protein at every meal? While eating starchy and sweet stuff is IBS safe, it's not very filling and satisfying by itself. Something like vegetable soup might be a good addition to the lunch you listed - low in calories, but a lot of volume and nutrition and safe IF.

Plus, I'm always extra-hungry in the fall. Don't know if you're wired like I am, but less sun plus cold weather makes me *starved*! Did you feel this hungry in the summer?

I would definitely go to your doctor and ask about testing for parasites if this goes on for very long. For the moment, concentrating on protein and fiber and reducing the amount of sugary stuff in your diet might help prevent that crashing feeling.

--AC

#284873 - 10/02/06 09:28 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I have to say this happens to me too. I get ravenous, and slightly nauseated even though I've been eating. It is definitely connected somehow to being unstable. I sometimes wonder if I am mistaking the feeling in my gut for hunger and it's really something else, but it does feel like totally being starved and yet a little different. Not rumbly but like your stomach just goes entirely tight. Hard to explain.

#284890 - 10/02/06 11:48 AM
lissylou73

The only fiber I get is the kind in rice, bread, noodles, etc. The only protein I get is from the meat on my sandwich or from the soy milk in my cereal. I don't really eat any veggies and the only fruit I get is from baby food. But I was even hungry like this back in the low-carb/high protein diet phases I went through. Is the parasite test an embarrassing stool sample? I've mentioned this (the hunger) to my doctors many times, but they blow me off and blame my work schedule (midnights). Yet they tell me I need to lose about 10 pounds. However, I have always felt this way, even when I had a day job.

chupie,
I know how you feel. I've never been pregnant, but it seems like morning sickness. If I let myself get too hungry, I'll get sick. I was even like this 16 years ago in high school! Maybe it's just the way I am??

I'm so frustrated though! I figured eating 2 servings of rice for lunch would be filling. Or a big sandwich with chips or a huge bowl of noodles would do the trick, but no!

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#284915 - 10/02/06 02:32 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

exactly what i was going to ask. Is there a chance you're pregnant?? Something to think about. I remember I was always ravenous (especially in the first trimester-even before finding out I was pregnant) and many times my blood sugar dropped from not eating and would get really nauseated and would even sometimes dry heave.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#284940 - 10/02/06 06:06 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you get tested for parasites by your doctor via a stool sample, or you can do an herbal parasite cleanse that you can buy at the HFS, paragone by renewlife is a good one. Plus even if you don't have parasites it is sometimes good to do a cleanse, but get checked by your doc first since a cleanse or anti parasites are sometimes both hard on the system and tummy.

#284984 - 10/02/06 11:14 PM
lissylou73

No chance of pregnancy...besides I've had this problem for a very long time. I go to my GI doctor next week. I'll talk to him about this again. He'll probably run some bloodwork that will come back normal and that'll be the end of it.

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

another idea new
      #285022 - 10/03/06 09:06 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

There are certainly a lot of good ideas of what it could be. I know I have the same problem. I don't know the exact cause, but I'm starting to equate it to the fact that it has to do with the gastritis I have or the ulcer or the hernia. It seems like it has to be one of those. Or so it seems...for me.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#285058 - 10/03/06 12:50 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why are you eating light chips and chocolates? These are IBS trigger foods. I have no idea what is in the sandwich you are eating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contained trigger foods as well.

I am always puzzled by people who post on this message board with all sorts of questions when they aren't making a serious effort to follow Heather's diet.

Belinda new
      #285061 - 10/03/06 01:28 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Why attack the original poster in this fashion? As I'm sure you know, IBS is a little different for all of us. What is a trigger to you may not be a trigger to someone else.

For Lissylou: What are the ingredients in your chips? If there's Olestra, for example, stay FAR FAR away. That stuff gives people without IBS GI issues. As for the chocolates, before I was stable, I could not always handle chocolate. It was a guessing game, even with dark chocolate.

Re: Belinda new
      #285095 - 10/03/06 05:48 PM
chupie

Hmm. You know, it does seem to be that this happens if I have too much fat. For me that is substantially higher than many of you and ocassionally I test the boundary. Maybe it was just too much fat for the poster on that day.

Re: another idea new
      #285139 - 10/04/06 05:16 AM
lissylou73

Rebecca - I too wonder if it has to do with gastritis. I have GERD and have been treated for H.Pylori as well. My last endoscopy showed that my stomach lining is thin (whatever that means)!

Belinda - I am not new to IBS or what I should or shouldn't eat. The sandwich was on light sourdough bread (recommended by Heather) with organic turkey slices. I'm eating light chips because they are low in fat and they are not a trigger for me. Chocolates do not trigger me either. In fact, the only things that trigger me are veggies and fruits. I can even drink coffee and diet soda or eat a big fat cheeseburger with no problems (not that I do, though). So I'm very well aware of Heather's diet guidelines. I just have more tolerance than most IBSers. Besides my post was not originally about triggers and IBS necessarily. It's more of a problem in my stomach resulting from hunger.

Snorkie - Thanks! You're right...everyone is different in what they can tolerate.

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

My response new
      #285162 - 10/04/06 07:43 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Snorkie:

I appreciate your comments. Yes, some foods can bother some IBS people and others may not.

However, there are some fairly well known triggers. There is nothing wrong with eating those trigger foods if, like you, a person is stable and knows that these foods will not bother them. However, in the case of the original poster, she is clearly not stable, as she indicated in her post. Therefore, I have to question why she is eating foods that are known to trigger IBS attacks.

Sorry, but I find it dismaying that some people post on this board for help, when they clearly aren't doing some of the most basic things to help themselves such as following Heather's diet.

Obviously once you are stable it can be a different ball game.

#285169 - 10/04/06 08:38 AM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Quote:

Why are you eating light chips and chocolates? These are IBS trigger foods.

As far as I know, Heather's book says that Baked Lay's/baked chips are okay?

#285171 - 10/04/06 08:53 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, Heather mentions in her book and on the site that Baked Lay's are safe. Avoid chips that are labeled as "Light" since they contain Olestra.

Chocolate is considered safe as long as it in the form of cocoa powder. Heather also mentions that when she's stable she will treat herself to a small piece of chocolate candy.

#285172 - 10/04/06 08:56 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Lissylou-
Your lunch doesn't sound like enough food to me. I would have a piece of fruit (banana or applesauce or mango) and maybe some pasta salad w/ veggies mixed in to go with your sandwich. You'll probably feel a bit fuller by incorporating more fiber into your diet.

I'm curious to know what you are eating for breakfast? And if you are eating a snacks between meals, what are you choosing?

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/04/06 08:57 AM)

#285192 - 10/04/06 12:20 PM
lissylou73

Belinda - EXACTLY...BAKED LAYS ARE IBS SAFE. Maybe I'm more stable than I thought since I can tolerate chocolate as does Heather. It's not like I'm eating a huge honkin' candy bar. I'm have a few bite size pieces of plain chocolate (nothing with caramel, etc).

Maria - I can't tolerate fruit...not even bananas. The only fruit I can eat is in the form of baby food...the only veggie I can eat are canned green beans. I will try to add more items to each meal, but I'm afraid of eating too much as I don't want to gain weight. I only occassionally eat breakfast since I work straight midnights. I go to work at 10:00pm and finish up at 6:00am. But if I do eat breakfast, I'll have Corn Pops with soy milk, or plain oatmeal. That's why I eat a lot of sandwiches, rice, noodles, etc. My snacks usually consist of a Luna bar, rice cakes, or graham crackers. I feel I follow Heather's diet pretty well. I just need to figure out how to add more fruit and veggies.

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#285195 - 10/04/06 12:35 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have two suggestions: First, what about smoothies? If baby food is tolerable, I would think a smoothie would be, too. I cannot tolerate certain IF fruits, but I can if they're blended. Try that for breakfast. Or, try soy yogurt that contains fruit. Second, I wouldn't increase the amount you eat at each meal. Rather, I would increase how often you eat during the day. I literally eat every 2-3 hours, but I eat small amounts. I'm amazed at the difference this has made in both my metabolism and my IBS stability - and I have NOT gained weight! I have a smoothie for breakfast, then a few hours later I have some cream of rice. A few hours later, a slice of banana bread. Next, lunch time. Then 1 or 2 more snacks before a small dinner.

The fact that you don't eat breakfast is already getting your metabolism (and digestive system) off to a bad start for the day, IMHO. You need to do your best to keep things moving, constantly, all day long.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#285200 - 10/04/06 12:44 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Maybe you just think you are eating safe. Sometimes we don't realize things we are eating are not that safe.

I saw some of your menus on the Fitness board...and don't think ham or the light ruffles, or lean cuisine may be okay for you. You already know that breakfast with dad was lots of triggers, right? And 1 T of butter would be too fatty for me.

Maybe you need to go a little more safer with your choices for a while? And try to concentrate on more nutritious foods that will fill you up and stick with you more?

HTH

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#285205 - 10/04/06 12:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do best IBS-wise if I eat every couple of hours. If you're worried about gaining weight, you can eat the same amount you're eating now, just split it up. For example, have your sandwich for lunch, then the rest of your lunch as a snack or snacks. For me, even a small handful of pretzels every hour or so can help with hunger pangs.

I'm not sure what you mean by skipping breakfast, given your work schedule, but it's really important for me to eat shortly after getting up. Otherwise, my tummy gets out of whack IBS-wise *and* I tend to want much more food later in the day - apparently my body thinks I "owe" it for skipping breakfast.

As for IBS-D causing the hunger, I've gathered from later posts in this thread that you're stable, so I don't see how that could be the cause of your hunger. (As a general note, it's not clear to me that even uncontrolled diarrhea would cause hunger since - at least in theory - all the calories have already been extracted from whatever is in your colon.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#285223 - 10/04/06 02:01 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

LOL, I have the opposite problem... I could stand to lose a few pounds! I hate being hungry. If I'm hungry, I just eat a little more. But if you eat more, you have to exercise more, too.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

There is Olestra in the ruffles new
      #285238 - 10/04/06 05:59 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I would ditch these for sure. That stuff is nasty for the bowels.

Check out the light original ruffles here. Ruffles

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#285264 - 10/05/06 12:37 AM
lissylou73

Lisa Marie - Do I have to get soy yogurt at a health food store, or would Wal-Mart have it? Regarding breakfast, I meant I eat breakfast, just not usually breakfast type food. I'll try snacking every few hours as you suggested. I guess the best way to feel better is to not let myself get hungry!

Jordy - I didn't know light deli ham was bad. I was eating the Lean Cuisine things because I saw that Shell was eating them. So I thought it would be safe and something quick to have after working all night. Breakfast with dad did not trigger me. I don't know why I have to avoid things that may be triggers for others, but don't affect me? The 1 T of butter is the kind Heather recommends (Smart Balance light). I thought that was ok too

I just wanted to know if anyone else around here is constantly hungry. And if there was a common link between the hunger and IBS or GERD. All of a sudden my horrible diet is in the spotlight when I didn't mention anything about being triggered or having D. Anyway, thanks to all for the great suggestions. I see my GI doctor this week, so I'll try talking to him about this again.

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#285289 - 10/05/06 07:44 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I would honestly go back to following Heather's diet strictly (that is, from her books or the main parts of this website, not the message boards) and look at her suggestions about introducing the safest fruits and veggies. I know it's tough to get those back in - I used to have my *worst* attacks from eating them - but if you eat them with soluble fiber, they will keep you from feeling as hungry and they won't make you sick.

Have you tried baked sweet potatoes? Mangoes? Homemade applesauce with cinnamon on top? Roasted carrots? Those are all filling, full with soluble fiber, and really good for you.

--AC

#285309 - 10/05/06 10:11 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry if I miss lead you on the Lean Cuisines... but I do have a disclaimer on all my posts when I list them " not safe for everyone " I'm not sure which ones your tried... some I do just fine with and others you will see I posted that I ate them and then ended up paying for it. NOT beef, pork, etc.... I do a lot of the chicken, turkey, & shrimp ones....but have pushed my luck on some of the ingredients in them like dairy and have paid for it.... so just be very careful please.

Quote:

Lisa Marie - Do I have to get soy yogurt at a health food store, or would Wal-Mart have it? Regarding breakfast, I meant I eat breakfast, just not usually breakfast type food. I'll try snacking every few hours as you suggested. I guess the best way to feel better is to not let myself get hungry!

Jordy - I didn't know light deli ham was bad. I was eating the Lean Cuisine things because I saw that Shell was eating them. So I thought it would be safe and something quick to have after working all night. Breakfast with dad did not trigger me. I don't know why I have to avoid things that may be triggers for others, but don't affect me? The 1 T of butter is the kind Heather recommends (Smart Balance light). I thought that was ok too

I just wanted to know if anyone else around here is constantly hungry. And if there was a common link between the hunger and IBS or GERD. All of a sudden my horrible diet is in the spotlight when I didn't mention anything about being triggered or having D. Anyway, thanks to all for the great suggestions. I see my GI doctor this week, so I'll try talking to him about this again.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#285326 - 10/05/06 12:38 PM
lissylou73

AC - I'll try to do better. Even eating veggies or fruit with SF gives me a lot of bowel pain. I guess I'm one of those that needs a lot of SF to tolerate any kind of veggie or fruit.

Shell - No worries...I never meant that you mis-lead me. I saw the disclaimer, so it's my own fault. I was looking for something quick (don't like to cook after working all night) and I thought I would be ok with them. I'm not eating any more of them, though. I had a chicken one yesterday and thought I was going to barf! Today I had a Heather recommended soup (Progresso) and a low-fat PB & natural jelly sandwich on sourdough. I hope that was a better choice!

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#285334 - 10/05/06 12:58 PM
Lisa Marie

Lissylou,

I really think you'll be surprised at how tolerable smoothies are - give them a shot! I have some great (vegan) recipes at home for blended soups; I'll have to try to post them on the recipe board. I love them because it's an extremely safe way to get IF veggies.

If you want microwave dinners, try Amy's line of frozen foods. They make several, including enchiladas and lasagna, that are dairy-free, and they taste great!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285335 - 10/05/06 01:00 PM
Lisa Marie

I don't shop at Wal-mart, so I have no idea what they have. But so many big grocery stores are beginning to carry things like that, it can't be hard to find. Just MAKE SURE it says DAIRY-FREE or VEGAN. I have seen several soy yogurts that have various dairy derivatives listed in the ingredients.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285342 - 10/05/06 01:08 PM
lissylou73

Lisa Marie - Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'll buy a blender and do a BB search for smoothie recipes. If you post some of the soup recipes (I'll do a search for those, too), I'll give them a try as well. Soup is really easy to fix, so I think I can handle that

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

#285345 - 10/05/06 01:12 PM
Lisa Marie

Great! When I make smoothies, I just use 1 banana, some vanilla rice milk, and some type of IF fruit. This time of year I'm having to resort to frozen fruits like strawberries, blueberries, etc. I don't bother to measure anything, just pour it all in, blend it up, and go!

The book I get all my soup recipes from is called "La Dolce Vegan!" if you're curious... It has a TON of yummy dairy free recipes! I'll put that on my list for the weekend...

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285440 - 10/06/06 12:49 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well...a few thoughts.

I consider your lunch rather small. There is NO FIBER, i.e. no fruits or vegetables added to your lunch. Fiber plays a role in satiety. If you are hungry, pack some fruits/veggies--there are TONS of safe options. Also, your carbohydrate choices are rather high glycemic which could play a role in your hunger. Perhaps substitute those "light chips" with something that has more staying power in terms of satiety as well as nutrient merit. Consider making your lunches more interesting and up the quality of nutrients.

One question: how long does it take you to consume your lunch? It takes about 20 minutes of munching to register a sense of satiety.

Furthermore, is it possible that you are bored?

Kate, IBS-D.

#285488 - 10/06/06 05:34 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I've been this way since I was a little girl. I would eat all day and my mom's eyes would be so big. I'd just say "mom, it's a hungry day." On the other hand, I'd have other days when I wasn't very hungry and wouldn't eat as much (I think as we get older - we get less good at figuring out when we're full and when we're hungry). I began noticing as I got older that my hungry days were accompanied (gross-sorry) by floating poop. I read somewhere that this is a sign of mal-absorption. SO, I think that on days when I'm really hungry, my body is literally not getting the nutrients out of the food that I need. SO, I'm hungry and I really do need to eat more! I do think that you need to find some way to eat more IF because beyond the hungry issue, I'd be worried about not having proper nutrition. Good luck to you - I'm lucky that I don't have to worry too much about my weight (not that losing a few would be a bad thing, but that's purely cosmetic). But I think that there really is probably a reason that you're hungry all the time. Hopefully your doctor will be able to help you get to the bottom of it.

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#285516 - 10/06/06 11:15 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Quote:

The only fiber I get is the kind in rice, bread, noodles, etc. The only protein I get is from the meat on my sandwich or from the soy milk in my cereal. I don't really eat any veggies and the only fruit I get is from baby food.

Hi lissylou...
I have the same problem some days. I'll eat really safe foods, but I'll still be hungry. The best thing you can do when this happens is to eat a well-balanced meal (not just a snack). The rice, pasta, bread, etc. is GREAT and necessary as a base for your meal, but it isn't a meal on its own. It doesn't sound like you're getting nearly enough protein if you only get a little from your sandwich and your soy milk. Try adding some chicken (white meat only), fish, shrimp, or tofu to your diet every single day. Here are some of my favorite safe meals (let me know if you want recipes/instructions for any of them)...

* tilapia with jasmine rice and sauteed veggies (zucchini, carrots, and maybe a little broccoli) - I EAT THIS ALL THE TIME!!! YUM!!

* teriyaki chicken breasts with white rice and a few green beans

* Amy's tofu veggie lasagna (frozen) with french bread- love it for quick lunch

* Amy's Family Marinara sauce (if you can tolerate tomato sauce... this is the only one I've been able to safely eat) with tofu with spaghetti and french bread

* Gardenburger soy burgers on bun w/a little soy cheese and baked tostitos or veggie stix or Genisoy BBQ soy crisps - my other fave lunch

* Shrimp stir-fry with zucchini, carrots, and a little broccoli served over white rice

If you notice, every single one of these has a good, safe protein. This is so important for you to truly fill up. Carbs are very filling, but they don't last very long. You have to be sure to include the protein with each meal if you want it to stick with you longer.

And don't worry about gaining weight if you eat like this. I've been eating this way since February, and I've lost over 30 pounds so far!

Lissylou, I just posted two soup recipes on the Recipe Index... new
      #285590 - 10/07/06 05:08 PM
Lisa Marie

...as well as two other safe vegan recipes that I LOVE! Especially give the soup recipes a try; they're easy to make and VERY safe. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: another idea - ulcers, gastritis, etc new
      #285597 - 10/07/06 07:20 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I think you may be right. My GI was asking me if my stomach (as opposed to intestinal tract) felt better after I ate. I don't have an ulcer but do have gastritis, hiatal hernia, GERD. I really couldn't answer that as I was in such a flare with huge, huge bloat plus the cramps and all. But, I have this gnawing hunger and sometimes nausea. That is relieved by eating.I've also had my gallbladder out. This hunger thing has occurred since then. Ditto with the gastritis, hh and stuff. I've gained 25 pounds in the last 4 years.

Seems like we IBSers are of two camps. The ones that can't gain weight and the ones that can't seem to lose it. At first I thought I was the only fat IBSer out there - I'm fairly new to the boards - but as I continue reading I see there are others. I got the books, CDs, and other stuff first. I've never used a message board, but my sister suggested it and it has been very helpful. Nice to know I am not alone and others struggle with the same issues.

Re !TILAPIA RECIPE PLEASE new
      #285598 - 10/07/06 07:31 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I would love to have your tilapia recipe. I really need to expand my fish repertoire. I like fish, I just have never been a very good fish cook.

Re: Re !TILAPIA RECIPE PLEASE new
      #285609 - 10/07/06 09:07 PM
chupie

Oo, check out these two recipes:

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=283787&Forum=All_Forums&Words=halibut&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=283787&Search=true#Post283787

(and tilapia works great in this stew recipe)

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=280530&Forum=recipe&Words=fish%20stew&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=280530&Search=true#Post280530

Both very easy and tasty.

I can understand your dismay (m) new
      #285622 - 10/08/06 07:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It must be disconcerting to ask about being hungry and hear about your "bad" eating habits. Sort of like asking someone the time and being told you need to change your hair color.

However, there may actually be a connection. (Bear with me a minute here.) One of the suggestions for not feeling hungry all the time is to get more fiber (more bulk) into your meals via fruits and vegetables. Your problem is that you cannot tolerate fruits and vegetables. There is a possibility that by eating off-program (chocolate which has dairy and fat; ham; whatever was in those mysterious Lean Cuisine meals) you're making your gut more sensitive and thereby making it more difficult to tolerate fruits and vegetables.

I know that I have an internal limit on eating things that annoy my gut. If I spend that limit on Coca-Cola and wine, for example, my tummy is not going to stand still for my eating salads and apples. You know your own tummy best, of course, so maybe this isn't true for you. I just thought I'd throw it out there for you to think about.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Lissylou, I just posted two soup recipes on the Recipe Index... new
      #285802 - 10/09/06 12:58 PM
lissylou73

Lisa Marie & Chupie:

Thanks so much for the great recipes! I love soup and fish. But like Susie, I never get it to come out right. Maybe this time will be a success! Thanks againg for your help!

--------------------
Albert Schweitzer

Re: Re !TILAPIA RECIPE PLEASE new
      #286583 - 10/15/06 06:55 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I got my original idea for preparing the Tilapia from this post, but I really disliked the taste of the fat-free italian dressing. Instead, this is how I make it...

If frozen, thaw tilapia (see my note below). I just use a tiny amount of olive oil (you could just brush a little on your fish before cooking or put a very little bit in the skillet). Place filets in a non-stick skillet over med heat. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning and a little ground Cumin. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and sprinkle a little Old Bay on the other side, too. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until fish is cooked through (flakes easily). That's it! Super easy and DEEELICIOUS!! Best served with Jasmine rice.

Note: I buy a big bag of frozen tilapia from Sam's. The filets are individually wrapped, so I can get out just the amount I need. I thaw them, still in their plastic, in the sink under cool running water.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 935 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review