All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: hungry ALL THE TIME!! new
      #285195 - 10/04/06 12:35 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have two suggestions: First, what about smoothies? If baby food is tolerable, I would think a smoothie would be, too. I cannot tolerate certain IF fruits, but I can if they're blended. Try that for breakfast. Or, try soy yogurt that contains fruit. Second, I wouldn't increase the amount you eat at each meal. Rather, I would increase how often you eat during the day. I literally eat every 2-3 hours, but I eat small amounts. I'm amazed at the difference this has made in both my metabolism and my IBS stability - and I have NOT gained weight! I have a smoothie for breakfast, then a few hours later I have some cream of rice. A few hours later, a slice of banana bread. Next, lunch time. Then 1 or 2 more snacks before a small dinner.

The fact that you don't eat breakfast is already getting your metabolism (and digestive system) off to a bad start for the day, IMHO. You need to do your best to keep things moving, constantly, all day long.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#285200 - 10/04/06 12:44 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Maybe you just think you are eating safe. Sometimes we don't realize things we are eating are not that safe.

I saw some of your menus on the Fitness board...and don't think ham or the light ruffles, or lean cuisine may be okay for you. You already know that breakfast with dad was lots of triggers, right? And 1 T of butter would be too fatty for me.

Maybe you need to go a little more safer with your choices for a while? And try to concentrate on more nutritious foods that will fill you up and stick with you more?

HTH

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#285205 - 10/04/06 12:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do best IBS-wise if I eat every couple of hours. If you're worried about gaining weight, you can eat the same amount you're eating now, just split it up. For example, have your sandwich for lunch, then the rest of your lunch as a snack or snacks. For me, even a small handful of pretzels every hour or so can help with hunger pangs.

I'm not sure what you mean by skipping breakfast, given your work schedule, but it's really important for me to eat shortly after getting up. Otherwise, my tummy gets out of whack IBS-wise *and* I tend to want much more food later in the day - apparently my body thinks I "owe" it for skipping breakfast.

As for IBS-D causing the hunger, I've gathered from later posts in this thread that you're stable, so I don't see how that could be the cause of your hunger. (As a general note, it's not clear to me that even uncontrolled diarrhea would cause hunger since - at least in theory - all the calories have already been extracted from whatever is in your colon.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#285223 - 10/04/06 02:01 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

LOL, I have the opposite problem... I could stand to lose a few pounds! I hate being hungry. If I'm hungry, I just eat a little more. But if you eat more, you have to exercise more, too.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

There is Olestra in the ruffles new
      #285238 - 10/04/06 05:59 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I would ditch these for sure. That stuff is nasty for the bowels.

Check out the light original ruffles here. Ruffles

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#285264 - 10/05/06 12:37 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Lisa Marie - Do I have to get soy yogurt at a health food store, or would Wal-Mart have it? Regarding breakfast, I meant I eat breakfast, just not usually breakfast type food. I'll try snacking every few hours as you suggested. I guess the best way to feel better is to not let myself get hungry!

Jordy - I didn't know light deli ham was bad. I was eating the Lean Cuisine things because I saw that Shell was eating them. So I thought it would be safe and something quick to have after working all night. Breakfast with dad did not trigger me. I don't know why I have to avoid things that may be triggers for others, but don't affect me? The 1 T of butter is the kind Heather recommends (Smart Balance light). I thought that was ok too

I just wanted to know if anyone else around here is constantly hungry. And if there was a common link between the hunger and IBS or GERD. All of a sudden my horrible diet is in the spotlight when I didn't mention anything about being triggered or having D. Anyway, thanks to all for the great suggestions. I see my GI doctor this week, so I'll try talking to him about this again.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#285289 - 10/05/06 07:44 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I would honestly go back to following Heather's diet strictly (that is, from her books or the main parts of this website, not the message boards) and look at her suggestions about introducing the safest fruits and veggies. I know it's tough to get those back in - I used to have my *worst* attacks from eating them - but if you eat them with soluble fiber, they will keep you from feeling as hungry and they won't make you sick.

Have you tried baked sweet potatoes? Mangoes? Homemade applesauce with cinnamon on top? Roasted carrots? Those are all filling, full with soluble fiber, and really good for you.

--AC

#285309 - 10/05/06 10:11 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry if I miss lead you on the Lean Cuisines... but I do have a disclaimer on all my posts when I list them " not safe for everyone " I'm not sure which ones your tried... some I do just fine with and others you will see I posted that I ate them and then ended up paying for it. NOT beef, pork, etc.... I do a lot of the chicken, turkey, & shrimp ones....but have pushed my luck on some of the ingredients in them like dairy and have paid for it.... so just be very careful please.

Quote:

Lisa Marie - Do I have to get soy yogurt at a health food store, or would Wal-Mart have it? Regarding breakfast, I meant I eat breakfast, just not usually breakfast type food. I'll try snacking every few hours as you suggested. I guess the best way to feel better is to not let myself get hungry!

Jordy - I didn't know light deli ham was bad. I was eating the Lean Cuisine things because I saw that Shell was eating them. So I thought it would be safe and something quick to have after working all night. Breakfast with dad did not trigger me. I don't know why I have to avoid things that may be triggers for others, but don't affect me? The 1 T of butter is the kind Heather recommends (Smart Balance light). I thought that was ok too

I just wanted to know if anyone else around here is constantly hungry. And if there was a common link between the hunger and IBS or GERD. All of a sudden my horrible diet is in the spotlight when I didn't mention anything about being triggered or having D. Anyway, thanks to all for the great suggestions. I see my GI doctor this week, so I'll try talking to him about this again.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#285326 - 10/05/06 12:38 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

AC - I'll try to do better. Even eating veggies or fruit with SF gives me a lot of bowel pain. I guess I'm one of those that needs a lot of SF to tolerate any kind of veggie or fruit.

Shell - No worries...I never meant that you mis-lead me. I saw the disclaimer, so it's my own fault. I was looking for something quick (don't like to cook after working all night) and I thought I would be ok with them. I'm not eating any more of them, though. I had a chicken one yesterday and thought I was going to barf! Today I had a Heather recommended soup (Progresso) and a low-fat PB & natural jelly sandwich on sourdough. I hope that was a better choice!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#285334 - 10/05/06 12:58 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Lissylou,

I really think you'll be surprised at how tolerable smoothies are - give them a shot! I have some great (vegan) recipes at home for blended soups; I'll have to try to post them on the recipe board. I love them because it's an extremely safe way to get IF veggies.

If you want microwave dinners, try Amy's line of frozen foods. They make several, including enchiladas and lasagna, that are dairy-free, and they taste great!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2904 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review