All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
another idea new
      #285022 - 10/03/06 09:06 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

There are certainly a lot of good ideas of what it could be. I know I have the same problem. I don't know the exact cause, but I'm starting to equate it to the fact that it has to do with the gastritis I have or the ulcer or the hernia. It seems like it has to be one of those. Or so it seems...for me.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hungry ALL THE TIME!! new
      #285058 - 10/03/06 12:50 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why are you eating light chips and chocolates? These are IBS trigger foods. I have no idea what is in the sandwich you are eating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contained trigger foods as well.

I am always puzzled by people who post on this message board with all sorts of questions when they aren't making a serious effort to follow Heather's diet.

Belinda new
      #285061 - 10/03/06 01:28 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Why attack the original poster in this fashion? As I'm sure you know, IBS is a little different for all of us. What is a trigger to you may not be a trigger to someone else.

For Lissylou: What are the ingredients in your chips? If there's Olestra, for example, stay FAR FAR away. That stuff gives people without IBS GI issues. As for the chocolates, before I was stable, I could not always handle chocolate. It was a guessing game, even with dark chocolate.

Re: Belinda new
      #285095 - 10/03/06 05:48 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Hmm. You know, it does seem to be that this happens if I have too much fat. For me that is substantially higher than many of you and ocassionally I test the boundary. Maybe it was just too much fat for the poster on that day.

Re: another idea new
      #285139 - 10/04/06 05:16 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Rebecca - I too wonder if it has to do with gastritis. I have GERD and have been treated for H.Pylori as well. My last endoscopy showed that my stomach lining is thin (whatever that means)!

Belinda - I am not new to IBS or what I should or shouldn't eat. The sandwich was on light sourdough bread (recommended by Heather) with organic turkey slices. I'm eating light chips because they are low in fat and they are not a trigger for me. Chocolates do not trigger me either. In fact, the only things that trigger me are veggies and fruits. I can even drink coffee and diet soda or eat a big fat cheeseburger with no problems (not that I do, though). So I'm very well aware of Heather's diet guidelines. I just have more tolerance than most IBSers. Besides my post was not originally about triggers and IBS necessarily. It's more of a problem in my stomach resulting from hunger.

Snorkie - Thanks! You're right...everyone is different in what they can tolerate.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

My response new
      #285162 - 10/04/06 07:43 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Snorkie:

I appreciate your comments. Yes, some foods can bother some IBS people and others may not.

However, there are some fairly well known triggers. There is nothing wrong with eating those trigger foods if, like you, a person is stable and knows that these foods will not bother them. However, in the case of the original poster, she is clearly not stable, as she indicated in her post. Therefore, I have to question why she is eating foods that are known to trigger IBS attacks.

Sorry, but I find it dismaying that some people post on this board for help, when they clearly aren't doing some of the most basic things to help themselves such as following Heather's diet.

Obviously once you are stable it can be a different ball game.

#285169 - 10/04/06 08:38 AM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Quote:

Why are you eating light chips and chocolates? These are IBS trigger foods.

As far as I know, Heather's book says that Baked Lay's/baked chips are okay?

#285171 - 10/04/06 08:53 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, Heather mentions in her book and on the site that Baked Lay's are safe. Avoid chips that are labeled as "Light" since they contain Olestra.

Chocolate is considered safe as long as it in the form of cocoa powder. Heather also mentions that when she's stable she will treat herself to a small piece of chocolate candy.

#285172 - 10/04/06 08:56 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Lissylou-
Your lunch doesn't sound like enough food to me. I would have a piece of fruit (banana or applesauce or mango) and maybe some pasta salad w/ veggies mixed in to go with your sandwich. You'll probably feel a bit fuller by incorporating more fiber into your diet.

I'm curious to know what you are eating for breakfast? And if you are eating a snacks between meals, what are you choosing?

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/04/06 08:57 AM)

#285192 - 10/04/06 12:20 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Belinda - EXACTLY...BAKED LAYS ARE IBS SAFE. Maybe I'm more stable than I thought since I can tolerate chocolate as does Heather. It's not like I'm eating a huge honkin' candy bar. I'm have a few bite size pieces of plain chocolate (nothing with caramel, etc).

Maria - I can't tolerate fruit...not even bananas. The only fruit I can eat is in the form of baby food...the only veggie I can eat are canned green beans. I will try to add more items to each meal, but I'm afraid of eating too much as I don't want to gain weight. I only occassionally eat breakfast since I work straight midnights. I go to work at 10:00pm and finish up at 6:00am. But if I do eat breakfast, I'll have Corn Pops with soy milk, or plain oatmeal. That's why I eat a lot of sandwiches, rice, noodles, etc. My snacks usually consist of a Luna bar, rice cakes, or graham crackers. I feel I follow Heather's diet pretty well. I just need to figure out how to add more fruit and veggies.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23875

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review