All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shrimp
      #284709 - 09/30/06 08:56 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Has anyone ever had a reaction to eating shrimp? I had it for dinner tonight and right after I finished I had to run to the bathroom. I also ate mashed potatoes(only thing in them, was Smart Balance Light margarine), bbq chicken(no sauce, just lightly sprinkled with a chicken spice), sauted squash, and mushrooms,(only used Pam in the pan), and a green salad,(iceberg lettuce and oil and vinager for dressing).

I have also been told you can get an attack from something you eat up to two days before. Anyone ever heard of this? I was told this by a nutritionist.

Thanks for listening.

Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shrimp new
      #284714 - 10/01/06 12:16 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Shrimp has always been a safe food for me, but the green salad with oil and vinegar would have been a real trigger. If I ate something two days ago and made it through the first few hours I would probably be okay. Two days time to react to the food seems like a long, long time to me.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#284715 - 10/01/06 04:16 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Do you have problem with seafood usually? I know some people don't do good with shrimp.I also heard it takes a few days to get out of your system.

#284719 - 10/01/06 06:10 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Shrimp and other seafood sit well with me.

Salad, on the other hand, can race right through me. Sometimes, it's okay. Other times, I have to race to the loo.

#284721 - 10/01/06 06:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Shrimp is probably not the problem. Certain kinds of squash and all mushrooms give me D. Too much lettuce can give me gas.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#284751 - 10/01/06 11:31 AM
geribet

Reged: 07/16/06

Hi, new here. I tolerate shrimp but not salads. In fact, I tolerate Chinese Moo Shu with Shrimp but I eat it with plenty of white rice. It has a lot of vegetables in it (type unknown to me) and I am surprised it is safe for me to eat. Want to thank Heather and all of you for your help.

#284811 - 10/01/06 06:38 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I LOVE shrimp! Eat it pretty often with no ill effects. I do not eat salad much at all anymore, unfortunately, because it never sits well with me. And adding oil and vinegar just sounds like a tummy ache waiting to happen for me. I really doubt that shrimp was the culprit here.

My favorite way to prepare shrimp is as a stir-fry with zucchini, carrots, and broccoli (cooked in a little sesame oil, garlic, & soy sauce) and served over jasmine rice. One of my favorite safe meals!

#284815 - 10/01/06 07:24 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I figured out that it must have been the salad I ate the night before. I am finding out I am not able to tolerate raw carrots, and I had ordered a salad from Subway. Sometimes when i eat raw carrots, they take a couple of days to get through me.

I am noticing people are saying that oil and vinager are giving them attacks? Can you expalin to me why? I use to use Italian, but stopped, now I have been using Oil and Vinager. What do you use instead of Oil and Vinager?

Thanks, karen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1884 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review