All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sodium?Safer Dairy?
      #284614 - 09/30/06 08:26 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

My stomach has been horrible with c pain and craping. I have aanother colonspy scheduled but in the mean time need relief. Anyhow I have a ? about foods like soup now I know it is high in sodium but I have low blood pressure and it helps sooth and lessen the nausea. I know I could make it but don't so is this still ok. Like I just had pb sand and soup and its the best I have felt all day. Lastly I love dairy but know its a no no but have had it for years before this is this something that can start later being sensitive? Also I heard like cottage cheese and yogurt is ok sometimes? Any idea because I need to do a total overall I can see just with the meal I had how much better I feel I think. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sodium?Safer Dairy? new
      #284618 - 09/30/06 08:35 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

A dairy sensitivity can happen later in life. Yogurt and cottage cheese still contain lactose (if you're sensitive to that), and the milk proteins that are not well digested by IBSers. All dairy needs to be cut out of your diet. If you go back and eat it again, it will more than likely cause problems for you again.

Milk Subs new
      #284619 - 09/30/06 08:39 AM
Gracie

I forgot to say, have you tried the rice dream and blue diamond almond breeze milks? they taste great.

#284623 - 09/30/06 09:15 AM
kalosis

Thanks no I haven't tried the brands. I didn't like soy milk and the other I heard lack protein which I need too. I feel better today not having so far but it maybe a fluke. What the sodium issue I really don't think it makes a big deal right now and its better to have less nausea.

#284634 - 09/30/06 10:08 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

There are other safe sources of protein besides non-dairy milk. How about tofu (which you can add to a smoothie if you want drinkable protein)? How about chicken breast? Hummus? Don't drink something you hate just for the sake of protein!

--AC

#284650 - 09/30/06 12:07 PM
Gracie

Beans have protein too, but we have to be careful about the fibre and its effects.

#284716 - 10/01/06 04:19 AM
kalosis

Beans are for sure a no. I like dairy so that is why I was looking for a similar but don't think that is it anyways for me. Who know's.I think sometimes too animal protein even if plain is hard for me. If its small like in soup but at this point its so random. Thank you.

#284816 - 10/01/06 07:25 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I have had a dairy sensitivity that only developed as my IBS did. For several years now I've noticed that eating a lot of dairy at once made me sick, but I could still have a grilled cheese sandwich or something like that and be fine. Once the IBS really kicked in, that was one of the worst things I could eat.

However, I have found cow's milk I can drink in moderation. Purity, the local dairy here in middle TN, makes a milk that is 0% fat and contains acidophilus and bifidum (both probiotics that aid in digestion). This is the only kind of cow's milk I can drink, and I take it on trips because I can never find it in other cities. With this, I can have a bowl of cereal with REAL MILK every night!

I realize that some people have more sensitivity to dairy products, but if you're not one of them this is worth trying (if you can find it).

Sodium Q new
      #285029 - 10/03/06 09:21 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

I noticed this thread focused more on the dairy part. I have a question about the sodium...does sodium effect IBS in some way? I notice discomfort...a lot of bloating when I eat things high in sodium.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Re: Sodium Q new
      #285032 - 10/03/06 09:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sodium in the form of salt, sodium nitrate, etc can cause water retention. However, water retention occurs all over the body not just in the stomach area. If the sodium is in the form of preservatives such as sodium nitrate or nitrites found in many preserved meats that it could be an IBS trigger.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5375 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1681

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review