All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What exactly does "stable" mean for those who say they are?
      #284413 - 09/28/06 08:09 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm IBS-D and have been a newbie to this site/diet/acacia,etc. for about 3 weeks...devouring all the info I can in hopes that I too can be "stable" soon. I'm feeling much better already, but I'm curious as to how others define that they are stable. I saw that a few people don't even think about their IBS much anymore or worry about a bathroom. Does this happen in the majority of stable people or are most just feeling like I am now...less anxious and more in control of the IBS by what I eat, etc...but I still have bathroom anxiety b/c the bms are erratic (although not as spasmatic with flare ups)...I feel like I'm constantly "working through it." Obviously I'm new at this and have a long way to go, but I was just wondering if the "stable" people have to "work through" each day too or do I really have something more hopeful ahead of me? For example, with IBS-D, does that mean only a flare up once a month or something like that? Just the fact that I COULD have one stresses me. I'm curious to know the range of "stable" descriptions. thanks!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What stable means to me new
      #284421 - 09/28/06 09:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I only have 1 bad day or so a month - not even a full-blown flare up, just kind of not feeling so hot. (Usually it's hormonal and therefore unavoidable.) I might have D on those days, but it passes quickly and I go on with my day. I never take Imodium or anything like that anymore.

I never worry about finding a bathroom, going places, being in public, or any of the other stuff I used to worry about when I was at my sickest.

I never feel like I'm "working through it". I know I'll have IBS for the rest of my life, but I've just kind of accepted it as part of who I am. If I'm having a bad day, I do what I have to do to take care of myself. Most of the time, though, I just live my life and don't give IBS a second thought.

Re: What stable means to me ... new
      #284430 - 09/29/06 03:33 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

To me it means that I can function in daily routine without having to sit on the toilet for most of it. Unlike Atomic Rose I still worry about where the nearest bathrooms are located, but I hope to be as stable as her and not worry about where I am headed or how I will be when I get there. Maybe some of that is still habit for me – I think so.

Stable means that I am capable of doing my job and fulfilling my calling in the church without having ibs-d rule my life. I probably have 2 or 3 episodes a month that are controllable with Imodium if I stay on Heather's diet, and do not get stressed out over my youngest son, or something else.

Now days IBS does not rule my life, but is still part of it.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#284477 - 09/29/06 09:43 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks for your responses. Oh...how I hope to be like you someday Atomic Rose!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: What exactly does "stable" mean for those who say they are? new
      #284479 - 09/29/06 09:51 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

You're right, stable means different things to different people. I have to "deal" with my IBS almost daily. But, dealing with it means some gas or bloating, not feeling sick, diarrhea, pain, clear the room gas, etc. It means I have control over my life rather than my IBS having control over my life. I don't avoid or dread going places (unless it is the occassional really bad day).

It is a evolutionary process. You'll get there one day if you work at it. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Re: What exactly does "stable" mean for those who say they are? new
      #284549 - 09/29/06 02:24 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

To me, stable is "normal" movements each day. I go once or twice each day without pain or discomfort. There typically isn't urgency. I don't have the bloating and gas like before this diet. Remember that this diet is a lifestyle. There's is no quick fix and there is no straying. It took me about 2 years to get stable. But, so worth it. And I've found many foods that I really love that I wouldn't otherwise have tried. I do occasionally have flare-ups (maybe once every 3 or 4 months) but that is usually becuase I intro'd some new food that my body doesn't like or failed to take my Acacia regularly. I generally don't worry too much about bathrooms but I've also adopted a "so what" attitude about BMs. Like, if I have an accident (no, I haven't had any), so what? The world won't stop spinning. And if someone sees? So what? What are they gonna do about it? It's not like I have to vacation with those people. It takes time. It's good new that you are already feeling better. And is will continue to get better for you if you stick with it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#284697 - 09/30/06 07:18 PM
Joaniebird

Reged: 09/30/06
Loc: Connecticut

Hi all you wonderful people,
I am so thrilled to listen to all of you tonight. I'm heading off to bed - it's 10:00 in CT - but before I go, I'd like to say what stable means to me. It means I could go to Italy this summer and be prepared with my special tea bags, peppermint drops, gasX and tums - eating at wonderful hill town restaurants (we were in Umbria) and knowing exactly what I could have and not have, thanks to Heather's guidelines, books and helpful preparations. I went with my two boys and their families and I had a wonderful time. I admit I did worry about bathrooms, but it all worked out. So I thought I would let you all know that we IBSers can travel and have fun if we just pay attention to what we eat and bring the right tools to help ourselves.

--------------------
Joaniebird

#284699 - 09/30/06 07:36 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well if ever there was a perfect country to travel in for great IBS food you picked it!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1022

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review