All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Negative Biopsy Ruled Out IBS
      #284030 - 09/26/06 01:29 PM
FrustratedinOhio

Reged: 09/26/06

I have been having diarrhea and abdominal pain episodes for a couple of years now and finally decided to get things checked out --make sure nothing serious going on. During the course of my online research, I found this website and from all I've read, decided I probably do have IBS. Everything fits.

SO, I've been going through various tests to rule out other things, most recently a colonoscopy with biopsies. Yesterday the doctor's office informed me that my negative biopsy rules out IBS--that IBS in NOT my problem. (So come back in and talk to Dr--first available time in 2 months!)

From everything I've been reading, a negative biopsy would NOT rule out IBS. Is this true?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Negative Biopsy Ruled Out IBS new
      #284031 - 09/26/06 01:39 PM
emelem1

Loc: Sunny South, England

I am in the UK but my negative biopsy was an instant "You have got IBS" from my doctor. I would get a second opinion - from what I have heard if all medical tests are ok then you must have IBS. Have you tried testing for food intolerances?

#284036 - 09/26/06 01:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There is NO definitive test for IBS, so it sounds to me like your doctor has it exactly backwards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284051 - 09/26/06 03:50 PM
DDW2006

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Illinois

I'm no doctor..

I would probably get a second opionion. Just to be sure. It's terrible when you have problems and no one can figure out what is wrong.

Sorry, you are experiencing this.

#284084 - 09/26/06 08:18 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

A diagnosis of IBS means they've run all sorts of tests on you, everything looks fine, they've ruled out other serious illnesses, and they don't know what's causing your problem. If your doc is saying they've ruled out IBS and they want to do some more tests, I'd get a second opinion with a good doctor.

Agreed. -nt- new
      #284091 - 09/26/06 09:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

#284104 - 09/27/06 04:18 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I think that the most frustrating thing over the last 30 yrs is the lack of education concerning IBS in the medical community. Until this website I received absolutely no help from doctors and I went to plenty in different states.Even had exploratory surgery. Glad you had the tests done and hope you get better with Heather's advice.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#284176 - 09/27/06 12:01 PM
FrustratedinOhio

Thanks to all of you for confirming what I suspected.

I have not been tested yet for food intolerances, but I think I will go back to my regular family doctor to have her schedule the tests and any others I have not had. I am definitely not going back to the same gastro doctor, even though he is reputed to be one of the best around. At least he did rule out the most serious diagnoses, so I am thankful for that.

Thanks again to all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 957

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review