All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS waves white flag - How I beat it
      #283986 - 09/26/06 09:32 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

Its been nearly two years now since this all started. You all can relate; the cramping, bloating constipation/diarrhea... Well, its finally reaching an end for me and I hope that information that I am going to provide will help many others who read this. No one should suffer with this condition.

During the summer, I decided that I was going to try and taper myself off of the milk of magnesia I had been taking every night for over a year for my constipation. At first, it was okay, but slowly the constipation and bloating worsened. I became very depressed and house bound. Some of you may not be believers, but for me, I had no where else to turn. I prayed and began reading the Bible. One night, my dad noticed how gloomy I was and a doctor appointment was made. Not long after that, the brick hit me; I didn't have the IBS problems while I was on anti-depressants! When I went to the doctor, I got a new prescription for the anti-depressants I was previously on two years earlier. Citalopram (Celexa). I was started on 20mg and It seemed to be helping. Upped it to 40mg a month later. I can eat cake and candy, whole grain wheat and vegetables such as lettuce and radishes! And the fiber is helping with the constipation now rather than causing me great agony!

For those of you out there who contemplate giving up, don't! I came very close to ending it; I was planning on it before getting on the meds. Pray people, I didn't belive until I started. have faith and never give up!

Hugs and love to all,
- Lynx

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's wonderful new
      #284003 - 09/26/06 10:54 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I've been on various ADs and none of them have made any difference. You are very lucky to have found this! It must feel so great to be IBS free and to eat what you want again is an added bonus!

Are you taking any other supplements, fiber supplements, etc....or just the celexa?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: IBS waves white flag - How I beat it new
      #284006 - 09/26/06 11:23 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I wasn't depressed, but I was on Celexa specifically for IBS earlier this year. I became pregnant in May and had to quit. THE DAY I started taking Celexa, my IBS went away.

Good for you for finding something that works! I can't wait to try it again after I have my baby!

--------------------
~jules

Are you gals IBS-C or D or A? new
      #284021 - 09/26/06 12:31 PM
Jordy

I thought celexa was constipating. I wonder how doctors pick specific drugs for people. I took lexapro but it didn't help. Perhaps the Celexa is too closely linked to Lexapro to help me.

--------------------

Re: Are you gals IBS-C or D or A? new
      #284024 - 09/26/06 12:37 PM
ibsrelief

Reged: 09/26/06
Loc: CA, USA

jorda, i find medications like ad hasn't helped. so i must learn about the foods that trigger ibs.

Re: That's wonderful new
      #284063 - 09/26/06 05:32 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i agree, i was put on ad;s for anxiety and ibs at age 14 when all the docs ran out of ideas and was consider4ed good just with a toucht tummy. then the last 2 years i have been trying every natural option available and while they all worked a little, i went way to far downhill to th epiont where i feared food and was down to 98 ppounds, and just no longer me. i went back on AD's, this time cipralex, the canadian name for lexapro and it is working great for me, my personality has returned, by anxiety is less and my stomach, while still sensitive doesn't rule my life anymnore.
the old med i was on for years was zoloft, so despite my wating to solve things natural, the AD's are something i need and that coupled with my supplements that i found over th elast 2 years have given me my life back.
Good for you for finding what works and i wish you the best of luck.

#284072 - 09/26/06 06:22 PM
Jordy

You aree so nice Miso!

--------------------

#284103 - 09/27/06 04:18 AM
Lynx

I'm a C big time. For me, the Celexa has helped a whole lot. From what I've read, people are more prone to D from Celexa.

--------------------

#284105 - 09/27/06 04:20 AM
Lynx

During the time when my IBS was bad, I was taking vitamins and magnesium pills. I now only take 40mg of Celexa once a day.

--------------------

#284109 - 09/27/06 05:31 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i was A once upon a time and changed myself to c through diet and supplements which helped get rid of random D attacks, now C and doing well with the med and my supplements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review