All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Soluble vs. insoluble - the core of Heather's diet
      #283746 - 09/24/06 01:43 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I need a deeper explanation of this whole soluble/insoluble fiber thing and why the foods on Heather's safe list are considered safe. The whole soluble vs. insoluble fiber thing sounds logical and the rule about what can be more easily mashed does make sense. But I've just checked a lot of stuff from the safe list on:

http://www.fineli.fi/index.php?lang=en

where you can get information about the fiber content of many different foods. Out of the things I tried, like rice, potatoes, carrots, oatmeal, oatmilk, mango, I think only oatmeal boiled with water had more soluble fiber than insoluble. Potatoes, boiled with salt, were listed as having 100% INSOLUBLE fiber!!! It would have been ok if the safe foods just contain relatively much soluble fiber (though not necessarily more SF than IF) but the potato fiber content makes even that explanation impossible. So now I am really, really, really confused.

I know about the organizations behind the webpage and they are serious so why would their information be wrong? Heather can't be the only one who has the correct information on this. That would be very strange.

The insoluble fibers are specified to be water insoluble but I'm guessing that is what Heather is talking about. Is the soluble fiber the true reason why this diet works or is it that the stuff on the safe list are just easy on the bowels for some (partially different) reason?

I'm not saying Heather's rules don't work - obviously they do - and they agree in a big part with what I had figured out myself before I found Heather's webpage. And I don't mean to criticize Heather's information - not at all. I just think it would be good to get the rules and the reasons why the foods that are more likely to work, work, clarified as that would help us all make informed decisions about what we should eat.

Thanks,

Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble vs. insoluble - the core of Heather's diet new
      #283765 - 09/24/06 04:24 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I looked at the potato boiled no salt, and boiled with salt and the fibre content looks the same 1 gram total fibre, 1 gram fibre water-insoluble.

#283770 - 09/24/06 06:11 PM
dolls

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: New Jersey

To be honest I am confused I started the starter kit yesterday, went to a health store last night just happen to ask if they even had soluble fiber they didn't...So does this mean we must forever only use heather's fiber, this is day 2 I see no change yet.Taking 1/2 teas.2 daily..starting out slow like we are told?

--------------------
I sell artist dolls

#283772 - 09/24/06 06:30 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

the acacia does not work overnight but keep taking it. you WILL see a change for the better.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#283774 - 09/24/06 06:40 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What part of the site do you find the fiber info?

This has me really concerned. I hope we get some explanation because this makes no sense. I am as confused as you are, Ulrika.

The website Abigail and Syl posted also listed many of the foods containing more insoluble than soluble....like mushrooms.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

So... new
      #283775 - 09/24/06 06:44 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...this is saying potato is all insoluble fiber?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#283777 - 09/24/06 07:13 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

No way are potatoes all insoluble fiber. For instance here is a chart that lists a baked potato as 2.0 soluble and 2.7 insoluble (most likely the skin).

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/hospitality/what_eat/fiber.php

Cooked potatos (or at least certain kinds) would melt to nothing in water. Especially russets (which is why I like them in soups because they break down and thicken the broth.)

But I do think you are getting a little overly worried about the amounts. One of the main principles, it seems to me, in reading over the site, is that the soluble and the insoluble are meant to work together. I would guess that the main thing about the "safe" foods for breaking the cycle is that they are largely soluble. Also, with rice, to me, the most important thing is that it is the only starch that does not cause gas at all. I think that is sometimes where people get off track too, eating only foods of the break the cycle diet and failing to add in insoluble. It's got to work together.

#283778 - 09/24/06 07:16 PM
Gracie

Benefibre is soluble fibre.

Re: So... new
      #283779 - 09/24/06 07:18 PM
Gracie

No. From what I understand some sites only list insoluble fibre, in fibre content and not soluble. This might be the case here.

The site in my original post does list both soluble and insoluble fiber! new
      #283797 - 09/25/06 05:09 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Look at for instance carrots or mango.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 987 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review