All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about nuts and seeds for Miso or anybody else that knows...
      #283012 - 09/19/06 08:53 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

I really need to know if seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower and nuts, like almonds and hazel nuts are IF or SF ??
I been eating some for a couple of days now and want to know if It's ok to eat them daily and wont make C or cause my stool to get hard.

Thank you for the help you always offer.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

IF new
      #283018 - 09/19/06 09:07 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Check out this list of insoluble fiber. insoluble fiber There is another list of the soluble fibers.

Everything on IBS that I read says nuts and seeds are bad for IBS...very hard to digest. I don't trust them and only eat ground flax and nut butters.

I don't know what it would do to my stool, but I think it would really cramp me up.

Miso does fine with them, though.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: IF new
      #283046 - 09/19/06 12:16 PM
Jordy

Did you want them to be IF, Abi? How are you doing with them so far? Are you eating a lot of them?

--------------------

Re: Question about nuts and seeds for Miso or anybody else that knows... new
      #283049 - 09/19/06 12:40 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking seeds and nuts are high in IF.
Quote:

Finely grinding nuts and adding them to a soluble fiber foundation is an easy and safe way to incorporate another very healthy variety of insoluble fiber

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Jordy, I need to know about higher IF fruits/Veg. new
      #283050 - 09/19/06 12:40 PM
Abigail

Jordy, I been eating about a handful of seeds and some nuts for a couple of days. I really like them and they are high in fat as I need. I didn't get pain from eating them, but is too early to know yet. My stool was better(softer/loose)yesterday than it was today, but I don't if the seeds/nuts would help keep my stool soft/loose. That's my main concern. Some foods(like with flour, chips, white rice) harden my stool and make my C very painful. I just don't know if seeds would do that to me. I hope and pray they don't. If any of you know pleas let me know.

Are you still taking Mag. Calm? If so, how much are taking? Does help you? I have been taking 1 tsp, but I want to increase to 2 or 3 tsp tonight. What do you think?

Thank you for your advice in your prior post. What kind of fruits and vegetable are higher in IF so I can try them.

Thank you so much !!!!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Jordy, I need to know about higher IF fruits/Veg. new
      #283052 - 09/19/06 12:44 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Abi,

I can't tolerate nuts at all. They make my C and my spasms/gas worse. They are very hard to digest. So be cautious with them...go slowly.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Mary V , I need to know about higher IF fruits/Veg. new
      #283104 - 09/19/06 08:24 PM
Abigail

Thank you Mary V,

I went to the Whole Food store today and was trying to find a book all about IF and SF, but there was none:-( I know that seeds are IF, so how come they cause you C??? Very confusing

Blessings YSIC,
Abi

--------------------

#283105 - 09/19/06 08:24 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

they are mostly IF i think, i eat them every day many times, i have hemp seeds in my cereal, almond butter with fruits for snack, sunflower or pumkin with lunch, hemp with carrots for snack, sunflower of pumpkin with dinner and walnuts with bedtime snack. I don't eat more than a TBSP at a time though to keep thefat spread out. I say eat away, as long as you seem to be digesting it well, if there are big seeds in your poop you are chewing properly.
ps, how do you like the digest gold, i just bought some after using a canadian companies brand for the last while, we shall see, not cheap though.

#283109 - 09/19/06 09:21 PM
Abigail

Miso, I went to Whole Food store and the lady that was helping me recommended I take Aloe Vera Juice to help keep my stool soft/loose. I bought 100% Aloe Juice and would like to have before going to bed. What do you think about Aloe? Have you tried it?

Digest Gold worked fine for me, I guess. I didn't feel any difference from other ones I taken before. Too much money for a small bottle

I been eating the seeds and some nuts for about 3 days now, I hope they work for me as they do for you. I also bought a few organic vegetables and ate some raw carrots and broccoli today and so far so good. I hope that helps me more with C.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Mary V , I need to know about higher IF fruits/Veg. new
      #283113 - 09/20/06 04:12 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I don't know why they would cause C for me. But, as Heather says, sometimes too much IF can cause C...it causes the spasms and that locks up your intestines. I don't know why nuts are such a problem for me. I wish they weren't. But I can't even handle natural peanut butter. The day after eating it I feel AWFUL. Nuts and nut butters give me horrible spasms...which leads to the C. Maybe my stomach just can't handle that kind of IF. But if they work for you that's great.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#283119 - 09/20/06 05:31 AM
Miso

aloe is very soothing to the digestive tract, so by all means give it a try if you like, it can have a mild laxative effect as well. what enzymes are you taking now, instead if the digest gold, i agree its very expensive for a little bottle. i figured i'd give em a try.
I did used to take aloe when i had really bad heartburn as it is really soothing. Keep up with the seeds they are sooo tasty, i would be so bored without them.

Exactly new
      #283123 - 09/20/06 06:39 AM
Jordy

According to Heather's books, too much IF, especially without SF before, causes increased spasms and that leads to constipation.

If they don't make you more C....then your fine, though. Enjoy them.

--------------------

Aloe isn't suppose to be safe! new
      #283127 - 09/20/06 06:48 AM
Jordy

If you read articles in the research library, it tells scary things about aloe. I wouldn't touch it.

aloe , aloe 2.

Please ask your GI doc about this. I have read books that say that aloe causes cathartic colon and can cause permanent damage. Maybe no one knows for sure about any of this, which is scary.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on aloe? Is it a bad thing? I'm gonna ask my GI when I see him tomorrow.

--------------------

#283159 - 09/20/06 09:34 AM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Abigail, THANKS SO MUCH for the wedsite describing the foods. www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php CMB

#283160 - 09/20/06 09:39 AM
Abigail

Thank you Miso! I was planning to try the Aloe today, but haven't yet. I have been taking the Mag. Calm every night. I'm only taking 1 1/2 tsp, but since I started taking it I been going MORE:-). I'm also eating a little more IF foods and the seeds and nuts, so that might also be helping.
Last night I ate a few raw baby carrots and a few pieces of broccoli and felt good, no pain! I will keep trying to eat a little more raw vegetables and see how I keep feeling...I also some black means with rice, it was GREAT!

About the enzymes, I'm about to finish the Digest Gold so I bought the one I was taking prior, Mega-Zyme meal time from Enzymatic. It says that relieves occasional bloating and I help LOTS of help with that.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Aloe isn't suppose to be safe! new
      #283174 - 09/20/06 10:20 AM
Miso

just a note about the aloe, it depends, you need to make sure it doesn't contain any of the latex, if it is pure aloe juice, like george's roadrunner brand it is perfectly safe, it has to be pure and free from any of the laxative parts of the plant which can cause problems, just to clasrify.

#283175 - 09/20/06 10:23 AM
Miso

glad to hear that things are going well, keep it up. on my side though ever since i did the 1:1 cal mag i am now more c than usually only going a bit once a day, no pain, but don't want it to go that far, i find the nat calm is weird for me, seems to keep me up rather than relax me, odd. I usually take potassium, magnesium aspartates, but its back ordereed and i was out of that and my l-glutamine for the last week which hasn't helped either, boo.

#283204 - 09/20/06 11:48 AM
Abigail

Miso, this is the one I bought. Is it a safe to take?

Nutritional Facts

Pure Aloe Whole Leaf 32oz

UPC 042608470106

Serving Size 2 fl oz (60mL)

Servings Per Container 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 2 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Values*

Total Fat 0g 0%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Trans Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 0mg 0%

Potassium 3mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Sugars 0g

Protein 0g

Vitamin C 20%. Not a significant source of Calcium, Iron; Vitamin A or E.
* Percent Daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Ingredients
PURE ORGANIC ALOE VERA AND 2% PURE ORGANIC ACEROLA CHERRY JUICE. (Excellent source of Natural Micro-Nutrients and Natural Vitamin C). Caution: This is a natural full strength Pure Aloe Juice. This is not a diluted product. For best taste results enjoy over ice or mix: one part Lakewood Puer Aloe Juice with 2 to 4 parts cold fruit juice.

--------------------

I still wouldn't chance it, personally new
      #283213 - 09/20/06 12:13 PM
Jordy

I like to play it very safe when it comes to my body! Plus, my doctor told me Miralax is safer than Aloe. He doesn't approve of aloe at all.
Plus, I can't find just the inner leaf without the latex anywhere.

Thanks Miso!

--------------------

Digest Gold new
      #283217 - 09/20/06 12:16 PM
Jordy

Did the enzymatic digestive enzymes work better than the digest gold? How many do you take? I've been using the Digest Gold and also the ones by Renew Life. I can't tell a difference.

Do you take them with snacks too?

--------------------

Re: Thank you for your advice Jordy! -nt- new
      #283218 - 09/20/06 12:20 PM
Abigail

--------------------

Abi new
      #283221 - 09/20/06 12:25 PM
Jordy

I don't want to influence you...I probably shouldn't have given my opinion. It's just the word aloe alone sends alarms for me!

Do what you think is best. Have you asked your GI doc?

--------------------

Re: Digest Gold new
      #283225 - 09/20/06 12:29 PM
Abigail

I think the enzymatic works better for me somehow, plus I think they are less expensive and that's always a good thing. I take two with my breakfast 3 caps with my breakfast and 3 more with my dinner. I usually don't take any with my snacks.

Do you take yours with snacks?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Abi new
      #283228 - 09/20/06 12:37 PM
Abigail

Jody I always appreciate your input, advice, help, opinion, support, info and more!!!!!! Don't worry, be happy

Blessings ALWAYS,
Abi

p.s. Ask you doctor about Aloe Juice please and let me know what he says. Thank you!

--------------------

#283298 - 09/20/06 06:25 PM
Jordy

Not usually. I usually forget...plus they are expensive to be taking all the time. I think I will try your brand next. I don't take as many as you either. Only 2 at the most. I only take 1 with the Renew life with breakfast and lunch. I take 2 Digest Gold with dinner. Maybe I need more?

--------------------

#283301 - 09/20/06 06:30 PM
Miso

it should be fine, th eone i know is super safe is george's roadrunner and th ebonus is it is so purified that it tastes like water. Give it a whirl on a weekend, worst comes to worse it give you D, sometimes its just trial and error to be honest.

Oh thanks! new
      #283302 - 09/20/06 06:30 PM
Jordy

I will ask my doc tomorrow...if I see him. I'm thinking of cancelling because I'm sort of going through other stuff right now and don't know if I can handle the ordeal of dealing with a doctor who is probably going to frustrating. Ya know what I mean? Or do you have a patient doctor?

If I do cancel, I probably won't get another appointment for a month at least.

--------------------

#283303 - 09/20/06 06:33 PM
Miso

i might be odd but i take 10 a day, yes its expensive but i really feel good doing it, i take 3 with breakfast since i take my fish oil then, 1 with each of my 3 snacks and 2 with my two other meals. I take future formulation forte, but may try the renew life ultra since it seems the digest gold is quite expensive. I know some people who take 25 enzymes a day with and without food, when they are on an empty stomach they help fight inflammation ini the body.

Abi...I asked him about aloe new
      #283535 - 09/22/06 08:03 AM
Jordy

He said that no one really knows the long term effects of anything on the bowels. He never commits himself to any definitive answer. He tells me to eat whatever I want to eat, take fiber if I want, take senna if I want, see a GI surgeon if I want. Take Miralax if I want...or not...take zelnorm or that new drug for C if I want, double up on my meds if I want....UGH.

You have to go to medical school to tell a patient to do whatever the heck they want and not inform them of any potential consequence? I don't think this is right. I'm deciding to pass on the aloe...just from what I've read on the boards. It's expensive and I don't know that it will even help. I don't want to take the chance of harming my body.

If you do take it, let me know how it goes. And if you ask your doctor, tell me what he thinks, okay?

Blessings!

--------------------

What type of nuts and seeds do you eat? new
      #283537 - 09/22/06 08:05 AM
Jordy

How are they treating you, Abi? Do you take them after an SF? How much do you take? How many grams fat is it? I need, need, need to increase my IF.

--------------------

Re: What type of nuts and seeds do you eat? new
      #283544 - 09/22/06 08:40 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I know you have similar issues as me with constipation but for me nuts don't effect the degree but make me feel bloated and nauses. I'm ok with spreads like pb though. There really isn't that much fiber though in nuts like 2 grams per serving not sure of if though. This diet is still really confusing.

Re: What type of nuts and seeds do you eat? new
      #283572 - 09/22/06 12:30 PM
Abigail

Jody, so far seeds and nuts are treating me good. I eat pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnut with raisins and dry fruits and berries. I buy them at the Whole Food store. I eat about a handful. I can't remember the fat grams, but I need to gain weight so I don't worry about that too much.

Are you still taking the Mag.Calm? I been increasing, I'm to 2 tsp. I also have been eating black beans for dinner and my BM(stool) are bigger than ever. Do you think is the beans or the Mag.Calm? I'm going to try Lima beans next to see what happens.

God bless you today and everyday,
Abi

--------------------

Thanks...glad you can eat them new
      #283600 - 09/22/06 07:19 PM
Jordy

I'm not worried about gaining weight from the fat...just that we are suppose to be on a low fat diet for IBS. Fat is suppose to be a big trigger. Isn't it a trigger for you?

I do still take the Calm. I only take 1 tsp though, because I also take Miralax. But not even the Calm and Miralax is relieving the C totally...so I may go up on the Calm and I have to eat more IF and lay off the SF more.

I think you are probably being helped by both the Calm and the beans. Are you eating; a lot of beans at one time? Did you have to work up to a dose? I've tried pureed black beans but I'm afraid not to puree them. Do you puree them? I also have tried lentils. I need to eat more beans, I think....but they give me bloat and gas. But, I'd rather have that than C...With C, you get gas and bloat anyhow!

I see you post on ibsgroup. Are you going to try the free lax that Spasman is using? I want to give him more time to see if the effects last. Most things for me work in the beginning and then stop.

--------------------

Did you start the aloe yet?-nt new
      #283602 - 09/22/06 07:21 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Thank you! new
      #283603 - 09/22/06 07:23 PM
Jordy

Have you found anything to help your C? Are you following the EFI diet or taking anything that helps you?

--------------------

Re: Thanks...glad you can eat them new
      #283608 - 09/22/06 08:08 PM
Abigail

Jordy, I only eat the good fat, like olive oil and flax oil. It's good for you and your body needs it. I use lots of olive oil over my dinner and salad.

I didn't know you were taking Miralax. How much and how long you been taking it? Do you ever use MOM? That's the only thing I take as I need. My GI doc gave me some Zelnrom to try back in Dec., but I never took it, I'm still trying to get better without taking medicines. Sometimes I get so frustrated that I want to take it, maybe one day I may have to.

I eat about 1/2 cup of beans with my dinner, plus my lentil soup. I cooked some Lima beans tonight, so will see about my BM tomorrow and the next day. I always make enough to last for a few days. I never puree them, but I pressure cook them until they are very soft. I always get bloated no matter what I eat, that's one of my big issues.

What's your name on the ibsgroup? I might buy that device, I hope it keeps working for Spasman.

When are you going to post your picture here?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#283619 - 09/23/06 07:48 AM
mandi1655

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: ny, usa

Aloe can be very safe and helpful. If the latex is removed from the plant it becomes safe. Its the latex that is such a strong, troblesome laxative. I drink georges distilled aloe juice. It tastes like water and seems to be helping.

--------------------
I choose to be a person living with a disease, not a diseased person.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review