Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Random Question
      #282972 - 09/19/06 03:30 AM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Hi all,

I'm curious: This is the season for game (which I love), and I'm wondering how much of it I can eat. Anyone ever tried elk or venison and had it be ok? I'm assuming the various birds should be more or less ok, but the big game has me stumped.

It's also apple season, and that brings up another question. Anyone else have a problem with apples? I can't seem to eat them in any form (sauce, baked in things, etc), because they give me, if not D, then substantial looseness. Weird.

Thanks for your help!
Emily

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Random Question new
      #282979 - 09/19/06 04:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Technically, game meats are still a big no-no, because they are red meat, which is a lot harder to digest. That said, because it's so incredibly low in fat, I've been able to eat reasonable portions of venison without any problems.

If you decide to get brave and try it, there's a couple things you can do to make it a little easier. Avoid stews - which typically have a fairly fatty gravy, and use tougher cuts of meat - stick with the tender cuts, if you can, and make sure you have a good soluble fiber source with it. Don't go overboard, especially at first, and if you're having a bad IBS day, you're better off sticking with the safest foods and skip the venison till you're feeling better.

As for the apples, all I can say is that I had a similar problem for YEARS, and then one day - after following the diet for a year or so - it just all went away. I still can't handle apple juice/cider, but I eat a raw apple, skin and all, every single day. It's possible that you won't be able to eat apples at all. It's also possible that you'll be able to eat them eventually. IBS affects everyone differently - I'm sure other people who can't eat apples will chime in, but even if they don't, your problem is nothing unusual for those with IBS.

Hope that helps!

#282981 - 09/19/06 05:21 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i can't do apples at all, sauce, peeled etc, they give me crazy bloat.
Venison and bison might be ok, i have hard some people on th eboard be ok with bison, but little amounts not too often of course. Its up to you, you can give it a whirl.

#282984 - 09/19/06 05:35 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I grew up with a dad who hunted small birds and moose. I cannot tolerate any of it - partridge, goose, duck etc are all torture on my tum. I stopped eating moose and deer meat when I was 10 or 11, and birds thereafter.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Apples and wild meats new
      #282990 - 09/19/06 06:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Apples like pears and most mellons have a high amount of fructose. If you cannot eat HFCS then you may not tolerate some fruits. See the posting

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=282953&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

and

http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdf

Venison and elk like bison are low fat dark meats. For example, 100 grams of a 1" top round venison or elk steak has 1.9 and 2.6 grams of fat, respectively. However, wild foul like duck can have a fair amount of fat. For example, even 100 grams of duck breast has 4.3 grams of fat compared to chicken which has 1.2 grams of fat

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
[ search for venison, elk or duck ]

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Apples new
      #282992 - 09/19/06 07:11 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to point out there are differences even in apples. I cannot tolerate the green Granny Smith apples at all. They cause me a lot of pain and send me running for the bathroom pretty quickly. However, I can tolerate most red apples, and eat them most days.

Applesauce is a staple food for me, have you tried making applesauce? I like mixing it with purreed strawberries.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Apples new
      #282994 - 09/19/06 07:17 AM
Syl

On the other hand I cannot tolerate apples or applesauce made from any kind of apples.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Cooked apples and applesauce new
      #283031 - 09/19/06 10:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I read that cooking apples, which is what is done with applesause, reduces the fructose to a tolerable level. Same with pears.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Cooked apples and applesauce new
      #283035 - 09/19/06 10:27 AM
Syl

As far as I know cooking does nothing to change the amount of fructose. For example, heating high fructose corn syrup or honey doesn't change the ratio of fructose to glucose. I wish it did

--------------------

#283043 - 09/19/06 11:58 AM
Jordy

I read an article that suggested cooking pears and apples in order to make them less gassy as it breaks down the fructose.

--------------------

#283045 - 09/19/06 12:15 PM
Syl

Can you give me a reference to this article. I would be interested in reading it. Thanks

--------------------

Of course I can't! new
      #283129 - 09/20/06 06:56 AM
Jordy

I read it in a health magazine about 5 years ago. It was an exerpt written by a dietician on how to reduce gas effects of pears and apples.

Maybe Heather knows, since she is a dietician.

--------------------

#283131 - 09/20/06 07:13 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I went on vacation a few months back to Yellowstone and there wasn't much else on the menu other than bison or elk or regular steak. With taking an immodium before dinner, I was able to tolerate both very well. I had never had elk before and when I tried it, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was delicious (and I'm not even a big meat fan!). I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't taken the imodium, but I'm planning on ordering elk steaks online and we'll see what happens.
Good luck if you try it.

#283187 - 09/20/06 11:00 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Elk and deer meat are both low in fat when compared to red meat that is store bought, but I can't eat any red meat. It just keeps me sitting in the bathroom.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#284951 - 10/02/06 06:56 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Wow! Lose my internet for a while and see what I miss! Thanks for all your help, everyone... It's nice to know I'm not the only "crazy" who can't tolerate apples.

And as for the elk/bison/etc, maybe I will have to be brave.

Thanks again!
Em

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2728 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review