All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Sulphur in dried fruits new
      #28690 - 11/24/03 12:55 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

One other quick ? for now:
Has anyone ever found that eating some fruit dried w/ sulphur dioxide helped them to have a BM? I know that sulphur is supposed to cause loose stools but since being on H's diet my stools have normalized wonderfully in terms of being soft and formed instead of hard and lumpy.....geesh, this disease sure requires a person to go public about some really "graphic personal details"!
So, my need is not to make my stools softer now but to get them out on a regular basis b/c otherwise the distention, bloating and discomfort ruins my sleep!

I was at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and I was really constipated, distended and uncomfortable so I decided to try eating some dried apricots after eating dinner there. Well.....the next AM I had a wonderful complete clean out and it felt sooooo great!

Since then I've tried some ( 3-4) dried apricots again a few times after dinner and have not had the same results. So I'm now wondering if the apricots were the reason why I had such a great cl/out or was it just a coincidence. Maybe my body was just ready to "DO IT" the next AM regardless of eating the apricots???

All thoughts and opinions are most appreciated. LL

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I miss pooping. :o( new
      #28700 - 11/24/03 01:11 PM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

I feel your pain! I seriously feel like I have the worst case of IBS ever! I can totally stick to the diet, and NOTHING works... how frustrating!

Also, you had replied to some post about "getting started," as did I, and I never thought about the dairy in the fat free "I can't believe it's not butter" as a trigger (hmmmm)... I can't seem to digest anything that has fat in it, so are butter and spreads totally out? Dairy really messes me up, so I'm going to stop using that... it might be causing me grief that I'm not linking to it! Also, lots of sugar usually doesn't fair well with me, that's why I use splenda... does splenda typically cause diah. or constip?? If it's the first, that's probably why it doesn't bother me... I typically suffer from the latter (or at least lately...

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Re: One more thing... new
      #28716 - 11/24/03 01:58 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Sorry I didn't write sooner, I was in bed most of the day with sinusitis (again!)

Celiac is an autoimmune disorder...it is often misdiagnosed with IBS. Gluten, a protein found in wheat (it's what holds wheat together and gives it a consistent tecture), can cause many symptoms--constipation, diarrhea, chronic illness, etc.

For more info., check out:

celiac.com

delphiforums.com

csaceliacs.org

CSAceliacs.org has a toll-free # you can call and speak to someone about celiac. They will also mail you free info.

If you want more info, lemme know!

HTH!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: tea new
      #28723 - 11/24/03 02:08 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I've never noticed tea helping me go. Perhaps I'll start drinking it in the morning and see what happens. I wish I didn't have to take stool softeners to make me go, but it doesn't seem like anything else really works. I'm so sensetive to insoluble fiber that it's hard to get enough to go Grrrr. I'm not a fan of dried fruits but maybe I'll try to start eating raisins everyday. Howcome raisins seem to work for people but no one mentions grapes?

--------------------
IBS-C

#28725 - 11/24/03 02:10 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Fishnets, you should definitely try tea first thing in the morning! That's one of the only things that keeps me regular, too! It really seems to get me going.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28726 - 11/24/03 02:12 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Do you find it doesn't help as much if you drink it later in the day? Usually when I have tea it's at night, so maybe that's why it's not working. Oh and when you say tea, are you all talking about fennel tea or just any tea?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: I miss pooping. :o( new
      #28773 - 11/24/03 03:59 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Um just wanted to say thanks for this line of material on pooping. It's so funny but mostly because I can relate to it all. Most IBS people have some kind of pooping window. Or how about the thought "gee I'd just like to go now so I dont have to go later" plan. That never works!!!! ha ha

Re: One more thing... new
      #28778 - 11/24/03 04:20 PM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

thanks again, could you give me an idea of how long you were taking Jaro-Dophilus EPS prior to seeing any results?
So glad to hear that these things are working for you.

Goal: To be a pooping machine new
      #28790 - 11/24/03 06:04 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I even quit the I can't believe it's not butter spray. I also completely avoid any artificial sweeteners... even small amounts! Both of the above cause severe constipation in my case. I use olive oil spray, just a bit, in place of butter quite often, or soy or rice "butter." *luck*

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

interesting info... new
      #28793 - 11/24/03 06:57 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

-- tea helps me the most when I drink it on an empty stomach and follow up w/ some breakfast a couple of glasses later. also, i poop only between 7 and 9 a.m... it's my pooping window. most ppl's windows are in the morning, where the level of some chemical in your body is the highest... can't remember the name, but it makes you poop. my boyfriend has a degree is exercise/physiology and sports nutrition (master's), a bachelor's in biology, and will be going to med school... he tells me this stuff, and i remember what i can, haha....

-- dried fruits are more dense and compact -- so they have more fiber. dried cranberries, mango, figs, prunes (grrannnddmmmaaa, i know) dates, papaya, and apricots are all very high in fiber, too... )

-- hot liquids stimulate your bowel in general. for example, pregnant women often drink hot prune juice first thing when they wake up -- hot w/ a fiber punch... gross.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 85644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review