All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Re: Is exercise an option? new
      #28371 - 11/22/03 07:09 AM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

I used to take Coalace 3 times a day, but then it quit working so I'm off it now. It seems that my bowel becomes accustomed to certain things and then stops working. for example I would take metamucil 3-4/day and it would work, then suddenly it would just quit! I switched to Citrucel and it seemed like a miracle thing, then it stopped. So I'm forever changing things around to 'fool' my bowel. Sort of a cat and mouse thing :-).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#28375 - 11/22/03 07:53 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I am always thirsty to, and also eat a good amount of fiber.... Maybe we are eating TOO many fruits and veggies and drinking TOO much water? I don't know.... we are both pretty much in the same boat. There could be something small in our diets causing this reaction, or it could be some sort of seritonin, hormonal, or motility thing that just gets out of hand sometimes... we just have to live with it as best as we can. I feel for you!!!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Two hour pooping window from when I wake up... new
      #28376 - 11/22/03 07:56 AM
Shanna

hehe. yeah, i tell my friends, "call me in a couple of hours, it's my pooping window!"

I love austin... it is a beautiful city with much to do and is very health concious -- the health food stores put each other out of business here, there are so many, haha. Everyone here is IBS, vegan, vegitarian, keeps kosher, or something... )

Speaking of pooping time, I am drinking some tea that is supposed to help your digestion as we speak (fennel, peppermint, ginger, chamomile...)... time for another glass. Today I am going to try to poop until 11; then I have a baby shower to go to! haha

--------------------

Heather -- Colace new
      #28377 - 11/22/03 07:58 AM
Shanna

Is it safe for long-term use? Thanks!

Fishnets -- thanks for the tip. Hasn't worked for me in the past, but who knows....

--------------------

#28378 - 11/22/03 07:59 AM
Shanna

Me, too.... however, I just stick with citrucel and my supplements now, because eventually they will start working again. Go out and buy some refrigerated primadolphilus bifidus and take it before bedtime and after breakfast... it might really help you. ) Active cultures are the only reason I poop... everything else seems to be the reason I don't...

--------------------

Pooping time! new
      #28386 - 11/22/03 08:48 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Lol Shanna, I have the whole "pooping time" thing down, too! My bowels seem to work best between 9:30 and 11 am, so I love days when I'm able to wake up, have a hot mug of peppermint tea (or coffee, when I feel like being bad ), and just let things work. Ahh. But I also get into slumps when I just can't seem to get rid of my constipation, so I really feel for you. I don't know what advice to offer that you haven't already been given, but good luck! I hope you start pooping again soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Heather -- Colace new
      #28396 - 11/22/03 10:47 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Is it safe for long-term use? Thanks!

Fishnets -- thanks for the tip. Hasn't worked for me in the past, but who knows....

I find it works better if I take it everyday. If I take it just once, it doesn't seem to really work. Kind of like fiber, but I have no idea why since it isn't fiber.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: I miss pooping. :o( new
      #28397 - 11/22/03 10:49 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Shanna, a leading expert in contispation is William E. Whitehead, PhD at the UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility disorders.

You might send him and email and see what he may have to say for you.

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/whitehed.htm

They also will be doing an online chat soon. Where you can ask Dr Drossman a leading IBS researcher in the world and probably Dr Whitehead who might be there also.

Open Forum with the Experts

Our next Evening with the Experts will be held

January 13, 2004

Douglas A. Drossman, MD

New Treatments in IBS

For more information and our extended schedule, click here

Chat with the Experts from Home!

You are invited to participate in "An Evening With the Experts", an online discussion on functional gastrointestinal disorders, held on select evenings, from 8-10 PM EST.

The UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders is proud to announce the launching of a monthly two-hour Internet educational chat session open to the public. Each session will be on a specific functional GI disorders topic likely to be of interest to many of our website visitors.

Click here to see how it works. Link directly to the chatroom by clicking here.

We have our new 2004 schedule posted!
Click here for further details.

They are extremely helpful and really nice and really care. They are also aware of the most current state of the art treatments and information on functional disorders.

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/welcome.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#28442 - 11/22/03 08:22 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

Do you buy that in an ordinary grocery store or at the health food store? We have a Wild Oats out here...

#28443 - 11/22/03 08:27 PM
Shanna

Any health food store has probiotics. The trick is to try different brands and find the one that works for you... whatever you do (even if they aren't refridgerated), refridgerate them upon opening. I just bought Jaro-Dophilus EPS... I will let you know how it works out! You can also order it on the web, I think....

Also, GNC sells pro-biotics, and soy and regular yogurt contains them (though not as much as the pills...). We are totally in the same boat right now -- let me know if you find any relief from them. I am rooting for you!!!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 85637

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review